The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP1 May 18th 2012 PRE/POST DISCUSSION!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I found the proof by induction one really easy, it was pretty much the same as Jan 08 - http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/fp108ja_sw19.pdf

Hopefully, some people will have thought it was a sum and bring the grade boundaries down as a result :P
Reply 41
anyone get a=2, p=-28, q=33, for the roots question?
Reply 42
Original post by commanderb

Yes, I did. But was there any particular reason why you just went down the entire page and negged practically everyone?

if thats question 3, i think one of my values was 10, i plugged all my values into the equation after to check and they equalled 0 as the equation specified.
Reply 44
The most disgusting thing is, the re-sit will be on the same day as C3 in January, it always is..
Somehow managed to get p=-30 not -33 for the roots question, don't know how that happened :confused:

Also, did the proof by induction question seem suspiciously easy to anyone else?
Reply 46

I'm sure the question was:

3x^(3) + 8x^(2) +px +q = 0

in which case, those values do not work.

The values:
a=2
p=-33
q=10

however, do work.

Thought the exam was really nice to be honest! Quite a contrast to NM..
Original post by NJam

The values:
a=2
p=-33
q=10

however, do work.

exactly this
Original post by NJam

The values:
a=2
p=-33
q=10

however, do work.

This. I did it after C2 and found it easier. :colondollar:
Reply 49
I'm glad you both agree! Some of my friends didn't, I was beginning to worry that I'd made a mistake somewhere.
Reply 50
Just did this exam today and it was the exam I enjoyed the most out of the 3 I did today (C2, FP1 and ELEC2). I haven't found any mistakes yet when I've talked with the others who did it and I checked a lot of stuff using my calculator so I'm feeling pretty confident :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by IChooseThisName
This. I did it after C2 and found it easier. :colondollar:

It was way easier than C2
Reply 52
Is there going to be a unofficial mark scheme for this?
Reply 53
Does anyone know if you can drop marks for proof by induction terminology? like if the way you set it out was not as the mark scheme wanted?
Reply 54
Original post by skibur
10 divided by something :smile:

Original post by Silent--ly
I can't remember, but something like 10/63? :dontknow:

10/63 is what I got yeah
Reply 55
What did people get for that weird question about complex numbers that asked why alpha, beta and origin lie on the same line on an Argand diagram? Or something like that...

I put it's because they alpha and beta have the same arguments and they both go through origin so they're on the same line. But I'm not sure as I feel I may have misunderstood the question.
Reply 56
Original post by uttamo
What did people get for that weird question about complex numbers that asked why alpha, beta and origin lie on the same line on an Argand diagram? Or something like that...

I put it's because they alpha and beta have the same arguments and they both go through origin so they're on the same line. But I'm not sure as I feel I may have misunderstood the question.

Pretty much the same, think I overdid it a bit, I said the arguments were the same, therefore it was a straight line between the two points

Then I wasnt sure if that was enough so I found the equation between the two points y=root3x +C, then plugged the coordinates of my points in and C=0! so therefore it went through the origin.

My teacher said what you said though; so maybe mine was an overkill...
Reply 57
Original post by skibur
Pretty much the same, think I overdid it a bit, I said the arguments were the same, therefore it was a straight line between the two points

Then I wasnt sure if that was enough so I found the equation between the two points y=root3x +C, then plugged the coordinates of my points in and C=0! so therefore it went through the origin.

My teacher said what you said though; so maybe mine was an overkill...

it was 1 mark dude... 1 MARK!!
Reply 58
Original post by uttamo

I put something similar to this, I don't think you misunderstood the question as I think it was as straightforward as that. I think it was only 1 mark anyway so it wasn't looking for anything fancy :wink:
Reply 59
Original post by Sokka
it was 1 mark dude... 1 MARK!!

I know I panicked :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending