The Student Room Group

2012 Higher Physics Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Aishah123
Any takers on Q14... I don't get it at all!

Ok, i think this is how to do it:

Since Pd = n lambda for CONSTRUCTIVE interference,

lambda is 28 and you have 400mm so,

so you do 28 + 400 for n(1) = 428
therefore 428 + 28 = 456 (n2)
and 456 + 28 = 484 (n3)

these are the only possible values for constructive interference, the only one of these options in the answer is D, 456, hence the answer is D.

Hope i explained this clear enough :s-smilie:
Reply 141
Original post by Aishah123
Hi, can someone please explain these MC questions Q2, Q14 and Q20 thanks!!
Answers are Q2D, Q14D and Q20B

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/er/wwhdepartmentPhysics/files/2011/10/Higher-Physics-2006.pdf

Can you give me all your worked solutions for the past papers you have done especially multiple choice questions. Like scanned. If you havent done worked solutions for multiple choice questions already then don't bother
Reply 142
Original post by -Neuro-
Hello I was wondering how hard Higher Physics was.
I'm taking it next year and was wondering if you guys had any tips :smile:
How much revsion would you recommend per day?

I don't find physics particularly hard at all, but that isn't true for most people. You need to be competent in maths and if you are good at standard grade you should be able to do it anyway. As far as revision goes, it really differs person to person: I haven't done much at all. It isn't right to say 'Oh is't really easy/hard' because it really does depend on the person! :smile:
Reply 143
Original post by tomathon1
Ok, i think this is how to do it:

Since Pd = n lambda for CONSTRUCTIVE interference,

lambda is 28 and you have 400mm so,

so you do 28 + 400 for n(1) = 428
therefore 428 + 28 = 456 (n2)
and 456 + 28 = 484 (n3)

these are the only possible values for constructive interference, the only one of these options in the answer is D, 456, hence the answer is D.

Hope i explained this clear enough :s-smilie:

Thank you so much!! :smile:
I think i'll be well prepared for this exam but does anyone know if there are any obscure parts of the course would've been skimmed past that might come up ala the last question in Maths.
Reply 145
Original post by These Streets
I think i'll be well prepared for this exam but does anyone know if there are any obscure parts of the course would've been skimmed past that might come up ala the last question in Maths.

Just be wary of questions involving transformers or the MOSFET. It's unlikely they'll trun up but it's better to be safe than sorry. Learn where the drain, gate and source go on the MOSFET and the voltage it conducts at. (2V I think? :s-smilie:)
Reply 146
Original post by DM10
Just be wary of questions involving transformers or the MOSFET. It's unlikely they'll trun up but it's better to be safe than sorry. Learn where the drain, gate and source go on the MOSFET and the voltage it conducts at. (2V I think? :s-smilie:)

1.8-2V will get you the mark :biggrin: it can change depending on the MOSFET but most are 1.8 :') i have a feeling this is coming up this year, unfortunately... :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 147
Original post by Reece:)
1.8-2V will get you the mark :biggrin: it can change depending on the MOSFET but most are 1.8 :') i have a feeling this is coming up this year, unfortunately... :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm not so sure. It came up in the 2010 pastpaper in the multiple choice but I suppose you can't rule it out. Just need to learn it I suppose. :colondollar:
So, I did the English exam not so long ago, and I found it easier than the pre-lim as per. I have History tomorrow, Physics on Monday, and Computing on Thursday. My main worry is Physics because I did poorly in the pre-lim, but managed to achieve 46% in the last pre-lim, a month ago, which all featured level A questions, which is a great consolation. Anyway, I'm feeling less confidence (I need two B's and two C's to get into Uni). That's manageable, but Physics has let me down in the past, and was wondering if you guys and gals can help me with the questions, etc. you have done, which have helped you achieve C's, B's, and A's. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 149
Hey, could anyone tell me how to get the answers for questions 4 and 10 in the 2011 multiple choice? Cheers :smile:
Hey, has anyone done the consolidation of learning test on Scholar? I really couldn't do some questions like the one with density and particle spacing and was wondering if anyone else was having the same problems? It really hit my confidence cause I felt quite ready but BAM those questions were hard ):
Reply 151
Someone please get a paper to take home after the exam, so we can compile answers and work on solutions!
Reply 152
Hey, does anyone know how to get the answers for 2010, multiple choice questions 14 and 19. And also the 2011, multiple choice questions 10, 11, 15, 17 and Section B in the 2011 paper question 23bi) and 23bii) ? Sorry for the abundance of questions but thanks :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 153
Original post by Esmeee
Hey, could anyone tell me how to get the answers for questions 4 and 10 in the 2011 multiple choice? Cheers :smile:

Q4
You know total momentum before collision is the same as total momentum after collision.
So you find the total momentum before collision, you will be able to finds the final speed.
M1U1+M2U2
(6x2)+(2x-1)=10
Now you know total momentum is 10kgm/s
*So now you can find the missing speed.
M1V1+M2V2
(6x1)+(2xV)=10
6+2V=10
2V=4
V=2m/s
And therefore you can find the Ek.
Ek=0.5mv^2
Ek=0.5x6x1^2
Ek=3j

Ek=0.5mv^2
Ek= 0.5x2x2^2
Ek= 4j*

Then add them to get total Ek so 3+4=7j

Therefore answers A
* * Hope it helps !!
I don't know if this has been posted (it probably has) but this website contains all past papers and solutions from 1992-2011. Hope it helps.
Original post by El Ferrari
So, I did the English exam not so long ago, and I found it easier than the pre-lim as per. I have History tomorrow, Physics on Monday, and Computing on Thursday. My main worry is Physics because I did poorly in the pre-lim, but managed to achieve 46% in the last pre-lim, a month ago, which all featured level A questions, which is a great consolation. Anyway, I'm feeling less confidence (I need two B's and two C's to get into Uni). That's manageable, but Physics has let me down in the past, and was wondering if you guys and gals can help me with the questions, etc. you have done, which have helped you achieve C's, B's, and A's. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone?
Reply 156
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has covered something called a "square wave output"? I'm doing the 2000 multiple choice just now, and it's q.13? I guess it's quite an old paper, and I don't know if its not in the course any more or if I simply haven't been taught about it! Any ideas? :confused:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Reply 157
Original post by kirstyhr
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has covered something called a "square wave output"? I'm doing the 2000 multiple choice just now, and it's q.13? I guess it's quite an old paper, and I don't know if its not in the course any more or if I simply haven't been taught about it! Any ideas? :confused:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire

When the gain is high enough, the amplifer saturates when the output voltage is about +/- 13V. A high gain therefore produces a sqaure wave output voltage.
Hi Im a newbie. Does anyone have solutions for paper 2004 q 28b and 29 c and 2005 21 b please
Reply 159
Original post by with respect to ex
Hi Im a newbie. Does anyone have solutions for paper 2004 q 28b and 29 c and 2005 21 b please

28b: 5.01x10^5 lines/m
29ci: 5.4x10^-7m
29cii: 2.3V

21bi: Photoconductive
21bii:• Positive and negative charge carriers no longer
released (1)
OR electron/hole pairs no longer released (1)
OR (photo)diode no longer conducts (1)
OR resistance of (photo)diode increases/higher (1)
OR no current in (photo)diode (1)
voltage across photodiode/YZ rises (above 2V) (½)
OR voltage input to MOSFET rises (½)
causing the MOSFET to conduct (½)
OR switches on MOSFET (½)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending