The Student Room Group

Higher History

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lansaaaa
Well, I totally derped on the time for paper 1 and couldn't finish my conclusion for either of the essays. Does anyone know how that will affect the mark? I can always appeal if it's disastrous.

I think you could lose anything up to 3 marks for structure , oh and perhaps a mark for evaluation/analysis if you were hoping to do that in your conclusion. Still passable however.
Guys, i got a bit confused in paper 2 the questions were wordered badly especially 3 and 4. did anyone do the paper on migration and the empire?

if so, were these things along the right lines?

1. they agree'd fully the scotish idustry was poor and canada was very prosperous. both overall positive. agree'd on more money to be made, the land available and how bad current scottish farming was.

2. about the italian kid..
primary source bla bla,
he was often verbaly abused at school - integrated well with scottish society
didn't mention the irish and the pysical abuse they recieved or the italian quesine they brought to scotland also.

3. talked about mostly eco growth and 1 political development in the source
talked about india (abolishing of ritual murder helped society develop) etc

4. talked about irish and the impact they had
talked about jews, prodesent irish and how they had a positive impact as they had same idelogy etc
lithuanians bad as they were strike breakers bla bla

am i along the right lines for everything? :biggrin:
Reply 142
Original post by Lansaaaa
Well, I totally derped on the time for paper 1 and couldn't finish my conclusion for either of the essays. Does anyone know how that will affect the mark? I can always appeal if it's disastrous.

Highly doubt that it'd be 3 marks like above said..
I reckon you'd only lose 1 mark (at the most) for structure in each one but It wouldn't be surprised if you lost no marks. I dont know about other marks.. Don't worry about it though
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 143
Paper 1 question on how far WW1 changed the attitudes of Ireland confused me sooo much! Did the wrong essay and then had to start all over again. Good thing I quickly changed though! Otherwise that would have been 20 marks out the window. Phew!
Reply 144
Oh wow the pass mark for an A should be lower than I expected

Was 67/100 last year
Expected it to be 70-75/100

Bit more confident now
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JackoGeddes
Guys, i got a bit confused in paper 2 the questions were wordered badly especially 3 and 4. did anyone do the paper on migration and the empire?

if so, were these things along the right lines?

1. they agree'd fully the scotish idustry was poor and canada was very prosperous. both overall positive. agree'd on more money to be made, the land available and how bad current scottish farming was.

2. about the italian kid..
primary source bla bla,
he was often verbaly abused at school - integrated well with scottish society
didn't mention the irish and the pysical abuse they recieved or the italian quesine they brought to scotland also.

3. talked about mostly eco growth and 1 political development in the source
talked about india (abolishing of ritual murder helped society develop) etc

4. talked about irish and the impact they had
talked about jews, prodesent irish and how they had a positive impact as they had same idelogy etc
lithuanians bad as they were strike breakers bla bla

am i along the right lines for everything? :biggrin:

For question four i spoke about what the Empire did for Scotland, so did most of my class I believe, because the question was asking about migration and empire, which kinda threw me off because I didnt know wether to speak about the other immigrants or to speak about what the empire did for Scotland. Got near enough the same things through 1-3, some difference here and there.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my R800i
Original post by Connor131
Highly doubt that it'd be 3 marks like above said..
I reckon you'd only lose 1 mark (at the most) for structure in each one but It wouldn't be surprised if you lost no marks. I dont know about other marks.. Don't worry about it though

Lets look at the SQA marking scheme shall we?

STRUCTURE Up to 4 marks can be awarded

0 marks There is no identifiable attempt to establish context or relevant factor.

There is no attempt to provide an answer in the terms of the question.

1 mark There is some attempt to establish context or relevant factors.

The conclusion may be implicit.

2 marks The introduction establishes the context and indicates relevant factors.

The conclusion is a summary linked to the question.

Well in this candidates case it looks like they've got more than zero as they've made an attempt to establish context through their introduction and this earns them enough for one mark. However they do not meet the requirements of a summary linked to the question for 2 marks for the conclusion as they don't have one. Leaving them on 1 mark. Therefore as the max amount of Structure marks is 4 , losing up to 3 marks seems about right?
Original post by Oscar Knowles
Lets look at the SQA marking scheme shall we?

STRUCTURE Up to 4 marks can be awarded

0 marks There is no identifiable attempt to establish context or relevant factor.

There is no attempt to provide an answer in the terms of the question.

1 mark There is some attempt to establish context or relevant factors.

The conclusion may be implicit.

2 marks The introduction establishes the context and indicates relevant factors.

The conclusion is a summary linked to the question.

Well in this candidates case it looks like they've got more than zero as they've made an attempt to establish context through their introduction and this earns them enough for one mark. However they do not meet the requirements of a summary linked to the question for 2 marks for the conclusion as they don't have one. Leaving them on 1 mark. Therefore as the max amount of Structure marks is 4 , losing up to 3 marks seems about right?

No, because markers split the structure mark up 2/2, 2 for intro, 2 for conclusion. The max the person could lose is 2 for not putting in a conclusion. The summary point is part of the 2 mark for the conclusion, just as mentioning the issue is worth 1 mark for the intro.
Reply 148
Why are we all worrying , we've done our extended essays but did anybody pick question 25 for essays seems like I was the only one in my school
Reply 149
I did:

The Liberal Reforms and Weimar problems; rise of the nazi party.

Paper 2 was okay, only got 4 comparisons for the first, the last 2 were strange but I got through them and had time to spare and go through all the questions again.
Are you sure about the 2/2 thing? By all means I'm not expert and will take your word for it just doesn't seem to be right as I have lost marks for structure for not having the rest of my essay perhaps not linking well enough between different body paragraphs etc. and you need to do more in your conclusion then provide a summary of the factors in order to gain 4 marks. I think you if you wrote introduction and conclusion up to the standards of those 2 marks each then you would not be awarded 4 for structure by any means. I did not paste the second half of the document on structure marking that demonstrates what needs to be done for 4 marks but if you say it's 2/2 then your probably right. Anyway it's irrelevant. I'm sure the original poster will not be bothered over a couple of marks if the rest of his or her essay was sound.
Reply 151
Original post by S119234
No, because markers split the structure mark up 2/2, 2 for intro, 2 for conclusion. The max the person could lose is 2 for not putting in a conclusion. The summary point is part of the 2 mark for the conclusion, just as mentioning the issue is worth 1 mark for the intro.

Maybe I was a bit off but he didn't say that he didn't attempt a conclusion.. he said that he didn't finish them.
Reply 152
Original post by UMARTIAN
I did:

The Liberal Reforms and Weimar problems; rise of the nazi party.

Paper 2 was okay, only got 4 comparisons for the first, the last 2 were strange but I got through them and had time to spare and go through all the questions again.

Only got 4? I thought that there was always 4 in those questions?
I'm sure that you get 2 marks for each relevant comparison so in a sense doing 3 could get full marks?
Reply 153
Paper one was great:biggrin: My ideal questions came up and i actually finished the first one on the half way mark and finished the essay in time which is a huge deal for me.

I hated paper 2.. I think what i did put down is right(fairly straightforward) but i missed out so much because i struggle to write much.. so yeah, the most i can get is like 20/30 for source:frown:

In terms of confidence, the extended essay sits in the middle of the two, definitely have 12 marks for knowledge, i'll be safe and give myself 3/6 for intro/conclusion/structure and had quite a few analyses bits / 12

Much like English, it is either a very high B or a very low A, won't find out until August :|
Maybe I was a bit off but he didn't say that he didn't attempt a conclusion.. he said that he didn't finish them.

So he could potentially get one mark just for mentioning the issue and attempting to relate it to others. My teacher always recommended that if it became clear that the time was running against you, you should just state one last sentence of summary as a conclusion which links the factors together very briefly and states your argument in the smallest possible way.

Your right. My bad.
Reply 156
Original post by S119234
So he could potentially get one mark just for mentioning the issue and attempting to relate it to others. My teacher always recommended that if it became clear that the time was running against you, you should just state one last sentence of summary as a conclusion which links the factors together very briefly and states your argument in the smallest possible way.

Yea writing a conclusion regardless of its length is better than nothing. It's better to think that you have a chance at the structure mark than none at all In my opinion!
Original post by JonathanHan01
For question four i spoke about what the Empire did for Scotland, so did most of my class I believe, because the question was asking about migration and empire, which kinda threw me off because I didnt know wether to speak about the other immigrants or to speak about what the empire did for Scotland. Got near enough the same things through 1-3, some difference here and there.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my R800i

wording of the question was weird. ended up just writing about the impact of immigrants in scotland..

hoping for like 25/30 so i can get my A :wink:
Reply 158
Original post by JackoGeddes
wording of the question was weird. ended up just writing about the impact of immigrants in scotland..

hoping for like 25/30 so i can get my A :wink:

i got that question too from the source I took it meant like the Jewish community developed the cigarette industry, irish and catholic schools etc.
Paper One was good for me,I did strength of nationalism and liberal reforms,paper 2(scottish wars for me) was trickier especially the one about military balance between scotland and england but hoping for good for all the others. Is 67% an A again this year or was that only last year due to the new course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending