Queen Mary's has mystified me

Watch
This discussion is closed.
watford110
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I applied to do Economics and Finance at Queen Mary. In the prospectus it said i needed 280pts (BBC) to get in. I had been preddicted ABB. My application to Queen Mary was more of a contingency plan than any thing else but i have just recieved an offer asking for 320 pts including a fourth AS at grade C.

Any reasons why you think they have upped the offer to, effectively, 320pts?

I am not going to Queen Mary's but i am at a loss as to why they have upped their offer, n e thoughts?
CaSTle OUtsiDeR
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by watford110)
I applied to do Economics and Finance at Queen Mary. In the prospectus it said i needed 280pts (BBC) to get in. I had been preddicted ABB. My application to Queen Mary was more of a contingency plan than any thing else but i have just recieved an offer asking for 320 pts including a fourth AS at grade C.

I am not going to Queen Mary's but i am at a loss as to why they have upped their offer, n e thoughts?
maybe becoz your predicted grades are a lot better than the standard offer...and the general standard of the applicants have got better this year....also they might want u to not put them as insurance but really consider to go there...just guessing
where else you applied to? for the same course?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

A high number of applicants to places this year?
watford110
Rep:
?
(Original post by CaSTle OUtsiDeR)
maybe becoz your predicted grades are a lot better than the standard offer...and the general standard of the applicants have got better this year....also they might want u to not put them as insurance but really consider to go there...just guessing
where else you applied to? for the same course?
been predicted ABB

Applied to

Leicester - Economics - BBB offer (at the mo, its 1st choice)
Manchester - Accounting Finance - still waitin
LSE - Accounting and Finance - still waitin
QMUL - Econ and Finance - BBCC offer
Royal Holloway - Economics - ABB offer (2nd choice)
Kingston - Accounting and Finance - CCC offer
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
been predicted ABB

Applied to

Leicester - Economics - BBB offer (at the mo, its 1st choice)
Manchester - Accounting Finance - still waitin
LSE - Accounting and Finance - still waitin
QMUL - Econ and Finance - BBCC offer
Royal Holloway - Economics - ABB offer (2nd choice)
Kingston - Accounting and Finance - CCC offer
It's rather strange to see your second choice's offer higher than yor first choice's.
watford110
Rep:
?
(Original post by hornblower)
It's rather strange to see your second choice's offer higher than yor first choice's.
went to an open day recently and was impressed.

also for economics leicester is ranked much higher than royal holloway (according to the times)
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Queen Mary did that to me!!! Their standard offer is ABB/even BBB but mine was AAB - i wanted them as a contingency plan too!!

I guess it has something to do with the fact that I dropped an additional as (critical thinking) but still.

I emailed my admissions tutor to see if there was any chance of lowering it. Hehe
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
Queen Mary did that to me!!! Their standard offer is ABB/even BBB but mine was AAB - i wanted them as a contingency plan too!!
exeter did the same to me, they were meant to be my 'low' offer, standard was BBB-ABB and the *******s gave me AAB, i laughed far too much and ripped that one up hah!
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
exeter did the same to me, they were meant to be my 'low' offer, standard was BBB-ABB and the *******s gave me AAB, i laughed far too much and ripped that one up hah!
It's horrid isn't it!! But i guess QM must often be in the position of being accepted as insurance - then ending up with not so many people there because they all go for their firm! That's my theory anyway. I shant care if they don't lower my offer- it's just ludicrous!! AAB for Queen Mary? They are well respected but not THAT well -I've got lower offers from kings college london, sussex, rh... well basically all my other unis!!!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (237)
39.43%
Take autumn exams (178)
29.62%
Look for a job (20)
3.33%
Consider an apprenticeship (23)
3.83%
Take a year out (107)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (36)
5.99%

Watched Threads