The Student Room Group
Original post by usycool1
Taking that combination of subjects is what separates the men from the boys :yep:

Am I a regal sovereign then? :colondollar:
Reply 9941
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
Yes, but I'm insinuating the nomenclature of hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia. :rolleyes:

:colonhash:

Okay then. :biggrin:
Original post by aefli
:colonhash:

Okay then. :biggrin:

So, how's my seraphic entity? :cool:
Only 5? :colone:.

You god-damn nerd, those subjects are the most laborious and you're edifying yourself on ALL of them. Holy-smokes.

Only for AS :biggrin: taking the first three only to A2 :colone:
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Only for AS :biggrin: taking the first three only to A2 :colone:

I'm doing 6, then I'll probably do 4 at A2. :wink:
Go Serena :L although I feel bad for the polish lady...
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Go Serena :L although I feel bad for the polish lady...

Serena has played very well...unlike her sister
Reply 9947
So, how's my seraphic entity? :cool:

Tired :tongue: And covered in layers of heavy stage make-up. Allways fun. :wink:

And you?
Reply 9948
Original post by simibean

She also grunts more than her sister. For this reason I wanted the polish lady to win. :colone:
Original post by simibean

Must suck to be Venus... :L Serena must be more favoured...
Original post by aefli
Tired :tongue: And covered in layers of heavy stage make-up. Allways fun. :wink:

And you?

Covered in make-up too. :colone:
I'm doing 6, then I'll probably do 4 at A2. :wink:

Nice :smile: we have to do GS too -.- do you?
Reply 9952
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Must suck to be Venus... :L Serena must be more favoured...

The Other Williams Sister.

Covered in make-up too. :colone:

Ah, welcome to the world of ballet. :yes::colone::yes:
Might see you in physics :wink: I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Biology :smile:

Sounds pretty tough :eek: ive heard some bad things about the physics there though but im am still going to take it. do you know a lot of people going there or are you going to be like me and not no anybody?
Original post by g.k.galloway
Right peeps we've reached mark III!

Good luck with exams everyone! I can see this thread being the one we end up discussing our results on (unless we go mental and reach mark IV!) :biggrin:

Well, it looks like that there'll be a Mark IV before Results Day :tongue:
Right..

There are 12 fundamental particles which make up everything in our universe. Prior to the other day, we could only detect 11 of them (the 12th being the Higgs Boson). Well, in Physics, there is something called the 'Standard Model'. The Standard Model is a mathematical description of the workings of our universe, describing how each of the 12 fundamental particles interact with one another, factoring in the influences of 3 of the 4 forces. These 3 forces are electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. The 4th force, which isn't included, is gravity. Gravity is by far the weakest force, and doesn't have much of a significant effect on the tiny particles we are dealing with. However, we are still to create a Grand Unified Theory which does also include gravity. Anyway, back on topic. The Standard Model relies on the fact that the Higgs Boson does Infact exist. If the Higgs Boson didn't exist, then the Standard Model would be kind of worthless - as it would fall apart and things wouldn't make sense. The fact that the Higgs Boson does exist, and we have seen it, means that out Standard Model is accurate - which is great news for Physicists.

A lot of things in Physics are referred to as 'fields'. Well, the Higgs Boson is to do with the 'Higgs Field'. Think of the Higgs Field as an infinitely large pool of custard. Very shortly after the Big Bang (and I'm talking about like a millionth of a billionth of a billionth of a second after), everything was massless (like photons still are). Nothing had mass whatsoever. Until the Higgs Field was 'turned on' if you like. Back to the custard. This invisible Higgs Field has certain effects on the different fundamental particles, giving different particles more mass than others. The custard slowed some of the particles down a little, and some of them down a lot, meaning they have a larger mass than the ones which slowed a little. Photons however, are unaffected by the Higgs Field. Right inside you now, there are Higgs particles which give you your mass. Even in vacumes, there is a Higgs field. So even though we are taught that vacumes are bereft of particles, they still have Higgs Bosons within them. Mass doesn't get 'created'. A better term would be that mass is 'given'. Now that we have finally found the Higgs Boson, we can run further experiments to find out more about it to further our understanding, and hopefully make a better Grand Unified Theory, giving a more accurate explanation to the workings four universe.

As for stars not actually being where they seem to be that is because light is 'bent' by gravity. That's pretty much all you need to know!

You see what happens when you ask me about Physics? -.- can I do some maths now please?

Wow thanks :biggrin: Higgs Boson is custard! :woo: I understand now, larryb said that the relativity theory is wrong and related it to this???
Original post by Loz17
I want you to pm them to me so they're all in one place when I count them. Would have been nice for you to at least keep them a secret until after the results are announced...

And tbh, when it comes to the time I won't be bothered to come back and find this post for you so I'd PM them if I were you :p:

:gah: I pmed you. Didn't know it was meant to be a secret!
(edited 11 years ago)
I'll re-open the thread once this one closes. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by blueray
Wow thanks :biggrin: Higgs Boson is custard! :woo: I understand now, larryb said that the relativity theory is wrong and related it to this???

Lmao :tongue: and don't worry, just ignore Larryb. He's trying to complicate things unnecessarily.
Original post by -james-95
Sounds pretty tough :eek: ive heard some bad things about the physics there though but im am still going to take it. do you know a lot of people going there or are you going to be like me and not no anybody?

The Physics is fine there - don't worry :smile: and I know quite a few people :smile:

What does that mean above one of your pictures? 'this is for charlie, but I was oblivious to reminding him'?

What does that mean above one of your pictures? 'this is for charlie, but I was oblivious to reminding him'?

I was meant to give it to you at Cambridge. :rolleyes:

Latest