The Student Room Group

AQA Core 4 Exam Discussion 14/06/2012 !Poll, paper and unofficial MS (first post)!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
How did everyone find this in comparison to their mock(jan12) and june 2011?
Original post by natninja
when you say that you fail to realise that by parts is in fact a substitution of sorts, and also at a C4 level it will tend to be an integral that can only be done by one or the other.

the core of WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY was that integrals can be solved by substitution and by parts. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DID IT BY PARTS AND ONE BY SUBSTITUTION does not necesarily mean somebody got it wrong. I did also acknowledge that one method is MORE SUITED TO ONE TYPE OF INTEGRAL than the other SO I DON'T GET WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY HUH? :mad:
I also never stress under exam pressure, but after seeing just the dirt question, I started panicking. There was probably at least one sub-part that threw me in every question. I've been getting purely As and A*s in my practice papers and got an A* in my mock, so Core 4 was going relatively well before this exam. I found it very difficult, as did 90% of the people I've spoken to. You'd need to be either perfect maths or doing further maths to find this easy.

I am most annoyed at my stupid mistake on implicit differentiation, somehow showing that sqrt(1/9) = 1/(sqrt(3)) instead of 1/3 - I was doing it right as well! - grrrr

----------
Harantony
Posted on my iPod :smile:
Original post by uxa595
How did everyone find this in comparison to their mock(jan12) and june 2011?

I think Jan 12 was harder than this paper, it was very tricky but once you understood it, it worked -if that makes sense?

Although in comparison to this paper, June 11 was piss easy.

I think the main concern about this paper are silly mistakes, I think what it asked you to do was pretty clear but I don't know! (I know I made loads of silly mistakes which will cost me [dearly] despite all methods being correct, fml)
Original post by Zoe_mj
Would -4 < x < 4 be right for 3bii?

Yes :smile: It's the same modulus.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Appeal to reason
I understand this looking at things again, it just annoys me how many silly mistakes I've made.

Would an error at the beginning of the 8 marker stop me from getting method marks for the rest of the question?

Probably not- if a calculation slip then certainly not. If you started off down the wrong route- well then i'm not sure how you could complete the question so i assume you mean some sort of transcription error in which case you should be fine for all the method marks.
My feelings about this paper's grade boundaries:

I want it to be:

100ums - 65+ (like last year)
A* - 56
A - 53
B - 46

But it will most likely be:
100ums - 67/8
A* - 63
A - 56
B - 50

What do you guys think?
Original post by OnimushaGTA
I think Jan 12 was harder than this paper, it was very tricky but once you understood it, it worked -if that makes sense?

Although in comparison to this paper, June 11 was piss easy.

I think the main concern about this paper are silly mistakes, I think what it asked you to do was pretty clear but I don't know! (I know I made loads of silly mistakes which will cost me [dearly] despite all methods being correct, fml)

Its funny i (and some of the better people at maths i know) also thought jan was moderately harder than june 011, yet the grade boundaries indicate otherwise, strange.
Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
the core of WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY was that integrals can be solved by substitution and by parts. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE DID IT BY PARTS AND ONE BY SUBSTITUTION does not necesarily mean somebody got it wrong. I did also acknowledge that one method is MORE SUITED TO ONE TYPE OF INTEGRAL than the other SO I DON'T GET WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY HUH? :mad:

techniqually, the easier way to do it was by substitution. IBP meant you had to use an substitution method as well anyway! might as well have use u = 2x-1 and be done with it.

so please, people stop arguing about method. Its maths, and maths can be done lots of different ways.

ps substitution FTW...
Original post by In One Ear
Probably not- if a calculation slip then certainly not. If you started off down the wrong route- well then i'm not sure how you could complete the question so i assume you mean some sort of transcription error in which case you should be fine for all the method marks.

Perhaps I didn't do as badly as I thought!
My error was forgetting to divide one of my integrals by the derivative of the bit in brackets. It seems I got the rest of the working correct (I get the correct answer if I divide that term by 2 in every following line of working).
Original post by In One Ear
Its funny i (and some of the better people at maths i know) also thought jan was moderately harder than june 011, yet the grade boundaries indicate otherwise, strange.

It's because doubles take in Jan and the singles take it in June -which would explain the super low grade boundaries last year!

What are your thoughts on that?
Original post by DavidMRoper
techniqually, the easier way to do it was by substitution. IBP meant you had to use an substitution method as well anyway! might as well have use u = 2x-1 and be done with it.

so please, people stop arguing about method. Its maths, and maths can be done lots of different ways.

ps substitution FTW...

I didn't even think about IBP!!

Looked at it, saw the power and instantly boom, integration by substitution!

Despite this, I made a numerical error, fml!
My feelings about this paper's grade boundaries:

I want it to be:

100ums - 65+ (like last year)
A* - 56
A - 53
B - 46

But it will most likely be:
100ums - 67/8
A* - 63
A - 56
B - 50

What do you guys think?

I would prefer it to be the first, but I have a feeling AQA won't be so kind. =/ That being said, they have to balance it to get x% getting an A, and by the looks of TSR's reaction, I'd say perhaps 66 for 100 UMS, then down in steps of roughly 7. :smile:
Original post by Appeal to reason
Perhaps I didn't do as badly as I thought!
My error was forgetting to divide one of my integrals by the derivative of the bit in brackets. It seems I got the rest of the working correct (I get the correct answer if I divide that term by 2 in every following line of working).

This should almost certainly lose you only a single accuracy mark.
Reply 1074
I think I've got about 50, I only gave myself 3/8 on the last question, I started going down the by parts question, evaluated my terms but didn't factorise it and collect it all, how much do you reckon? I thought by parts was the wrong route by that time and had other questions to finish :frown:
Original post by Oromis263
I would prefer it to be the first, but I have a feeling AQA won't be so kind. =/ That being said, they have to balance it to get x% getting an A, and by the looks of TSR's reaction, I'd say perhaps 66 for 100 UMS, then down in steps of roughly 7. :smile:

Agreed!
I guess we will have to just wait and see!

The majority of people at my college, and here found it really hard, and some didn't even finish! By some, I mean quite a few!

let's hope AQA is kinddd!
Original post by Liam_W_
I think I've got about 50, I only gave myself 3/8 on the last question, I started going down the by parts question, evaluated my terms but didn't factorise it and collect it all, how much do you reckon? I thought by parts was the wrong route by that time and had other questions to finish :frown:

as long as its right, you don't need to factorise it- it didn't say simplify :smile:
It's because doubles take in Jan and the singles take it in June -which would explain the super low grade boundaries last year!

What are your thoughts on that?

Doubles? As in further mathematicians? AFAIM most schools who have enough further mathematicians to run a proper class for it tend to do all of core maths 1 year then all of further the next- i.e core 1 and 2 in jan core 3 and 4 in june so i'm not sure that fits. Then there are people like me self teaching further maths along side the regular a-level and i presume they'd opt to do core 3 in jan (along with some fp modules) and then core 4 in june.

Though it does seem june modules seem to have lower boundaries for the same difficulty papers-*shrugs*.
I didn't even think about IBP!!

Looked at it, saw the power and instantly boom, integration by substitution!

Despite this, I made a numerical error, fml!

same! I forgot to simplifiy it- too happy that i worked it out to make the expression nice, still they shouldn't penalise me ? :P
Original post by DavidMRoper

ps substitution FTW...

Looking back, substitution was defintely the easier option. Annoyingly I didn't even consider it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending