Western vs Eastern Culture

Watch
The Angry Stoic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So what do you think are the main differences?

I think the main one is the West's more individualistic nature while the East is more collectivist.

There are of course many differences some minor and some major.

Do you think one is better than the other? In what ways?

Edit: I'm talking about the modern period but of course that is heavily influenced by the past.
RyanT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd argue some eastern cultures have more in common with the west then with each other, so I find the question itself troubling as it presumes a dichotomy that doesn't exist.

I feel uncomfortable with claims of individualism in the west, this is a post ww2 artefact and does not represent the wider history of the west. There was nothing individualist about hundreds of thousands of young men being pushed over the trenches by Field Marshall Haig, or in the life of Nazi Germany nor in the strict class adherance of earlier Britain.

The west has existed before individualism and will exist after and it will still be different from the east - so it is not individualism that defines us.

I would personally say the main differences are the historical experiences and how it has shaped the psyche of the nations, we often hear about china's century of humilation - how much of the American character was shaped by victories in wars abroad?
Mr Dangermouse
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Western culture - you're allowed to enjoy life.

Eastern cultue - family dominated
TheEssence
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RyanT)
I'd argue some eastern cultures have more in common with the west then with each other, so I find the question itself troubling as it presumes a dichotomy that doesn't exist.

I feel uncomfortable with claims of individualism in the west, this is a post ww2 artefact and does not represent the wider history of the west. There was nothing individualist about hundreds of thousands of young men being pushed over the trenches by Field Marshall Haig, or in the life of Nazi Germany nor in the strict class adherance of earlier Britain.

The west has existed before individualism and will exist after and it will still be different from the east - so it is not individualism that defines us.

I would personally say the main differences are the historical experiences and how it has shaped the psyche of the nations, we often hear about china's century of humilation - how much of the American character was shaped by victories in wars abroad?
I have a feeling the OP is talking about this point in time, i mean if you really wish to use history as a means of defining eastern v western culture i doubt you'd want to talk about imperialism and slavery. just sayin
AdvanceAndVanquish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jacob :))

I think the main one is the West's more individualistic nature while the East is more collectivist.

You can't meaningfully divide the world into The West and The East.
AdvanceAndVanquish
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheEssence)
I have a feeling the OP is talking about this point in time, i mean if you really wish to use history as a means of defining eastern v western culture i doubt you'd want to talk about imperialism and slavery. just sayin
Not quite sure what you're on about here. What about imperialism and slavery?
TheHansa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
This. Scandinavia is more collectavist than modern China.
MTR_10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I'm glad that I am not the only one who thinks this.
prog2djent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
TheHansa,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_Economic_Freedom
http://www.heritage.org/index/default
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ublic_of_China
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_in_the_World (my favourite one)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic...ublic_of_China
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End...d_Corporations (recommended reading)
RyanT
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheEssence)
Why?

In an age of Empires, the British one became the largest in history.

In an age of slavery, Britain abolished it throughout much of the world with the threat of war.

What exactly am I meant to be afraid to talk about?

Take your guilt trip and shove it up America's arse, Brits have nothing to apologise for.

The present situation is entirely derived from history. The future can derive from the present, but to understand the present one must understand the past.
andyyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This idea that there is a single, unified and cohesive Western culture which is American / Anglophone culture is Cold War propaganda meant to convinced everybody that the US is the descendant and ultimate embodiment of 'the West'. I hope that today people are able to acknowledge that the culture of, say, Southern US is very different from that of Southern France although they're both Western. So there is no such thing as Western or Eastern culture, there are Western cultures, Eastern ones and many which are somewhere in between the two extremes.
No Man
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
Western culture - you're allowed to enjoy life.

Eastern cultue - family dominated
I think this pretty much sums it up.
TheEssence
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
Not quite sure what you're on about here. What about imperialism and slavery?
just saying how far in history does he want to go into, i personally thought the op was talking about the present /past few decades in describing the cultures of the east and the west

(Original post by RyanT)
Why?

In an age of Empires, the British one became the largest in history.

In an age of slavery, Britain abolished it throughout much of the world with the threat of war.

What exactly am I meant to be afraid to talk about?

Take your guilt trip and shove it up America's arse, Brits have nothing to apologise for.

The present situation is entirely derived from history. The future can derive from the present, but to understand the present one must understand the past.
i actually used that quote yesterday come to think of it.. i'm not on a guilt trip, lower your defence.. i did word it and express it poorly but what i meant to say was how far in history do you want to go in history to describe western culture in comparison to eastern culture.. the 21st century western world is seen as being capitalist, materialistic, individualistic and so on and that is what i believe the op was getting at- more recent history.
The Angry Stoic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
You know I don't mean geographically? For example I'd say Australia is western culture. Do you not think there are traits shared by most on both sides?
AdvanceAndVanquish
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You know I don't mean geographically? For example I'd say Australia is western culture. Do you not think there are traits shared by most on both sides?
Yes of course you don't mean geographically, but it doesn't change anything. Just as a thought experiment, who would you include in the East?
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Western culture certainly seems more liberal, eastern is more family orientated, parents generally put more pressure on their offspring to do well academically & get a good career, less sex orientated etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads