This discussion is closed.
Furby
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Can any1 help. My exam is in two days and i am totally stuck on the research methods section of the paper. I dont understand it fully ( if any1 could help i would be very grateful
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
all u have to do is to revise research methods and try to apply it by doing lots of practise papers
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Research methods was the easiest exam to do for the as AQA(b) when I did it. Its only very short questions and you can pick up lots of points from it. I would definately try to get the stuff into your brain as they are easy marks to get. Just learn the basics such as:
- advantages and disadvantages of different experiments
- confounding variables
- hypotheses
- independent and dependent variables
- ethics
lilly-lace
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hello, could ne1 help. Im doing a psychology AS exam on monday and i know it seems like a simple question but how would i describe an experimentel design???
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hello

Is the experimental design the one that states whether an experiment is independent measures, repeated measures or matched pairs?

Independent measures - each group does one of the conditions (e.g. one group revises before an exam, the other group doesnt). The main disadvantage of this experiment is that there maybe individual differences between the participants which effect the results (e.g. IQ). However, demand characteristics are less likely as the participants only see one condition.

Repeated measures - a group will do both conditions (e.g. they do the test without revising, then they revise and do a similar test to see if the scores have improved). The main advantage of this design is that individual differences do not effect the results as it is the same individuals taking both conditions. However, the participants are seeing both conditions so maybe able to guess the purpose of the experiment (demand characteristics).

Matched-pairs - 2 groups of participants who are similar to each other. The two groups will do the different conditions. Main advantage is that you almost illiminate individual differences as you are ensuring that both groups are similar to each other (e.g. have the same range of IQs in each group). Also demand characteristics are less likely to occur as an individual only does one condition. The main disadvantage is that it is very difficult to get two groups of people who are very similar to one and other.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck in your exam.

Helen Brownsell
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (162)
15.58%
Uncertainty around my education (170)
16.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (100)
9.62%
Isolating with family (71)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.75%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.65%
Loneliness (103)
9.9%
Financial worries (46)
4.42%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.65%

Watched Threads