Aqa poetry - relationships questions Watch

lulwhut
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
okay so I am absolutely bricking myself for the poetry exam, I can't remember anything so any ideas on what poems will come up? so I know what to focus revising on
Globox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you doing Higher or Foundation, and which anthology are you working from?
lulwhut
Rep:
?
Higher, moon on the tides relationships cluster
Globox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Born Yesterday and/or Ghazal are likely to feature, since neither have appeared on Higher or Foundation exams yet.

The following poems won't be on the Higher paper, however:

Sister Maude - AQA specified this poem would not feature
In Paris With You - AQA specified this poem would not feature
Brothers - AQA specified this poem would not feature
Sonnet 43 - Appeared in the latest exam, making it extremely unlikely to return so soon
Harmonium - Appeared in the latest exam, making it extremely unlikely to return so soon

Other poems such as The Manhunt and Nettles are unlikely to feature as well because they have been on the exams. This doesn't mean they definitely won't return, however, as AQA probably expect people to take less interest in the poems which have come up before.
jprevprev
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was wondering for this exam (which I'm also doing): if the question tells you to compare the language used by both poets, how can you include points about other aspects such as structure? I get the feeling that we would have to include this as well (by the way I'm aiming for an A*).

An example of this would be 'Compare how poets use language to present feelings in Sister Maude and one other poem from Relationships'.
the A* guy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Globox)
Born Yesterday and/or Ghazal are likely to feature, since neither have appeared on Higher or Foundation exams yet.

Sonnet 43 - Appeared in the latest exam, making it extremely unlikely to return so soon
Harmonium - Appeared in the latest exam, making it extremely unlikely to return so soon

Other poems such as The Manhunt and Nettles are unlikely to feature as well because they have been on the exams. This doesn't mean they definitely won't return, however, as AQA probably expect people to take less interest in the poems which have come up before.
What about sonnet 116, quickdraw and hour for the higher paper?
Globox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by the A* guy)
What about sonnet 116, quickdraw and hour for the higher paper?
All 3 are possibilities, particularly Sonnet 116 which also hasn't been appeared on Foundation or Higher. Hour and Quickdraw were on the specimen paper, which according to my teacher means there's nothing to say they won't come up because technically they haven't been in a real paper which people have sat.
kingtaco
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Hi there,

How do you know that AQA specified said poems will not feature? When you talk about the latest exam (Sonnet 43 and Harmonium) do you mean Jan 12?
If so, do you have a copy of that paper and/or the specimen paper? Lastly, what kind of structure do you use for the poetry comparison questions i.e. do you have a mnemonic of poetic techniques you could share?

I am evidently ill-prepared. Thank you so much for you time.
badboiprodutionzlt
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I just wanted to ask if there would be any possibility that Farmer's Bride or To His Coy Mistress would come up in the exam on Thursday 24th May. If you could answer asap that would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But Brothers is eeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssyyyy yyyyyyy
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Where did you here this? Do you have a source?
GrantG
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

How do you know AQA have specified about these poems?
lulwhut
Rep:
?
(Original post by GrantG)
Dude, my teacher showed us this. I think she got it from the AQA website?
Globox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alexandra's Box)
Where did you here this? Do you have a source?
(Original post by GrantG)
My teacher got the info from AQA's website, I believe. I think it's an area only accessible to teachers.
Mai.H
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys, just writing to say that I really think that the poems which are most likely to appear are sonnet 116, to his coy mistress, born yesterday and ghazal purely becuase none have papered in the last 5 exams. However that is only my guess.
in the January 2013 series the poems were hour and far,era bride so they defimitely won't come up. And the poems sister Maude's, in Paris with you and brothers only appear on the F paper so they won't come up either but you can use them to compare.
ElizabethCook
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Higher and the relationships sector
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise