This discussion is closed.
1311grant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have been driving for 6 weeks now after passing my test first time, i drive almost every day and i like to think im a good driver and very confident. I drive a 1.0 litre car and im not a boy racer or anything. I have had P plates on my car for the past 6 weeks as my parents have forced me to keep them on, however there becoming more of a hindrance than a help. I think people just see the P plate and automatically think im a terrible driver and ive been overtaken 3 times despite sitting right on the speed limit each time. I've told my mum i think i should take them off now but she says i should keep them on for another 6 MONTHS!!!!:eek:

She says that if i crash my insurance will go up and i won't be getting insured anymore (fair enough) but she seems to think P plates are some sort of thing that makes it impossible to crash! She says that people see the p plates and give you more room and are more considerate (are they FU**). I didn't mind wearing them at the start but now when im out with people and they're like "oh have u just passed?" and im like "no i passed 6 weeks ago" it can get quite annoying. How can i convince her that im probably safer with them off!?

Does anyone else use P plates and do they find them useful and how long did u use them for?

Thanks.
History123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My mum advised me to put them on, i told her i wasn't damaging my paintwork, i had paid for the car, insurance and lessons so it wasn't really her choice.

I don't give them more room im just more cautious of them doing stupid things like pulling out or breaking suddenly.

Ive been passed 10 months now, i get a bit impatient with L and P platers going slow but its driving instructers that piss me off. I was at a mini roundabout the other day, there was a learner to my right, so i stopped. However he just sat there. We must have been sat there like 20 seconds (a long time sat at a roundabout!) and he still hadn't moved, so i thought im going so i set off. At that point the instructer gestured forwards to him to tell him to go, when he could see i had gone! I beeped my horn, and he decided to beep it back and wave my finger at me! IF YOUR GOING TO TEACH PEOPLE TO DRIVE THEN DON'T TEACH THEM TO SIT AT ROUNDABOUTS FOR AGES!!!
1311grant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by History123)
My mum advised me to put them on, i told her i wasn't damaging my paintwork, i had paid for the car, insurance and lessons so it wasn't really her choice.

I don't give them more room im just more cautious of them doing stupid things like pulling out or breaking suddenly.

Ive been passed 10 months now, i get a bit impatient with L and P platers going slow but its driving instructers that piss me off. I was at a mini roundabout the other day, there was a learner to my right, so i stopped. However he just sat there. We must have been sat there like 20 seconds (a long time sat at a roundabout!) and he still hadn't moved, so i thought im going so i set off. At that point the instructer gestured forwards to him to tell him to go, when he could see i had gone! I beeped my horn, and he decided to beep it back and wave my finger at me! IF YOUR GOING TO TEACH PEOPLE TO DRIVE THEN DON'T TEACH THEM TO SIT AT ROUNDABOUTS FOR AGES!!!
I know some driving instructors are just idiots.

My p plates are just stuck onto the inside window. There was no harm in just leaving them on for the first few weeks but now they aren't really doing any good, they're making it worse
coca
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't have P plates. Don't see the point in them.
tsveta
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by History123)

I totally agree with this. To be honest I feel like driving instructors totally try and con you (not all, but the majority). I have been driving since October, almost everyday with a parent in the car. I have had about 15-20 hours professional lessons and I wanted to book my test. I asked my instructor and he said I needed another 14 HOURS!!! :eek: Not only is that draining my pocket but also not true. I decided to take my test in my car and not tell him - although I did actually fail, it wasn't down to a need of 14 hours more professional lessons, I was on seven minors and then something really unlucky happened. I have rebooked my test but I am not going to have any more lessons as it is a massive rip off!!

My instructor wound me up so much. He seemed to enjoy pissing off other drivers, which made me really uncomfortable. For example, when doing a turn in the road, which I have done many times before, he used to force me to go really, really slowly - and even slower if another car came along. He claimed it was to force me not to rush just because another car was there, but he made a huge meal of it. He used to make me sit there (probably for about 15 seconds) in the middle of the road doing nothing just to hold the other person up. Drove me crazy.
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My instructor said P plates probably weren't a good idea, people treat L and P plate drivers badly
JO53PHS
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't use P plates, simply because in the real world, perhaps only a few percent of drivers will actually be more considerate of your lack of experience. The majority will just see is as another reason to get annoyed with you, even if you're not doing anything wrong.
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Become a bit sneaky and just remove them once you're round the corner.

I never put P plates on my car, and I'm glad I didn't. I got treated badly enough as a learner on the road - with a P plate displayed, people know you've passed (so don't have the learner driver "excuses") but they also know you're inexperienced. My friend had them for all of two days. He said he got overtaken in stupid places so many times with them on - this hasn't happened since he took them off.
Bezaberry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You got overtaken 3 times in 6 weeks and think it's all down to the p plates? :P
Boristhethird
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you think people are overtaking you due to p plates?

no, its because they want to go faster then you.
sclez1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got overtaken about 5 times today and I was doing over the speed limit!
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Plonker plates!
There's no legal requirement to have them.
Infact, it's more likely to cause you a problem. Joe average sees that on the back of your car and will think "great, another one that hasn't got a clue how to drive" and is unlikely to show you any courtesy. Remember the folk that'd drive past with their hand on the horn when you had L plates? Yeah? Same knob with the same stupid attitude.

On the other hand, you drive around with nothing on the car, noone knows if you've been driving 10 minutes or 10 years.

P plates are NOT a legal requirement. Take them off they are silly, pointless and attract unneccesary attention.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had P plates on my car for about a week after I passed my test, but because of all the hassle I was getting, I just had to take them off.

Plus, they caused sun/paint damage to my bonnet (there is now a faded, bumpy 'P' shape on there that won't come off), so I really wish I'd never bothered.
GraemeLawd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure what "P Plates" are but going to presume they are the same as R Plates in Northern Ireland, here you have to have them up for a year after you pass your test
konvictz0007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
p plates? lol...
emily27x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The first time I went out on my own after passing, I didn't have p plates on. I felt so much pressure because people don't know you've only been driving for a while.. Sounds stupid but I didn't want people to just think 'Oh she's a bad driver'. So I drove to Halfords and got some P plates. Put them on, and have had no problems what so ever with people beeping or overtaking. Makes me feel better, and have peace of mind. I'm only keeping mine on until I really get my confidence up. Then, I'm going to take them off.

However, if you don't feel like you need them, then just take them off!
Dixy3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As a former Driving instructor & Driving Examiner all groups and Classes, a Road Safety Officer and a professional transport and logistics manager, etc. The P plate can have both good and bad side effects. They can warn good drivers you have only just passed your basic driving test and you are just starting out on your own to get some personal experience in driving the vehicles you passed your driving test on. The down side is any bad driver will see this as a means to over take you at the earilest opportunity but that is also good because you get them away from you. Now the good news, if you was to have an accident and you was displaying the P plate warning other drivers you are a newly qualified driver, then if the other driver can be proved to be at fault, the insurance company would take that into account on your side, not the other drivers.

If you really want a innocent witness in your vehicle whilst you drive alone or with good friends, buy a Dash-Cam like a RoadHawk HD and become a Police Witness by joining http://policewitness.com/ that way the video and telemetry recorded on your camera system will help you and your insurance company and the police to decide who was at fault. Some people like me also use them in front and rear windows of our vehicles to capture critical evidence of those bad drivers so the police and insurance companies can remove them from our roads so good drivers can drive safely. Authorised Dash-Cams can also reduce your insurance.

If you want a challenge, why not take your advanced driving test with the advanced motorists, that too will reduce the cost of your car insurance.

Be pro active in displaying good driving habits and try and use the evidence your cameras capture to remove the bad drivers from our roads.

Hope that helps?
shaymarriott
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dixy3)
As a former Driving instructor & Driving Examiner all groups and Classes, a Road Safety Officer and a professional transport and logistics manager, etc. The P plate can have both good and bad side effects. They can warn good drivers you have only just passed your basic driving test and you are just starting out on your own to get some personal experience in driving the vehicles you passed your driving test on. The down side is any bad driver will see this as a means to over take you at the earilest opportunity but that is also good because you get them away from you. Now the good news, if you was to have an accident and you was displaying the P plate warning other drivers you are a newly qualified driver, then if the other driver can be proved to be at fault, the insurance company would take that into account on your side, not the other drivers.

If you really want a innocent witness in your vehicle whilst you drive alone or with good friends, buy a Dash-Cam like a RoadHawk HD and become a Police Witness by joining http://policewitness.com/ that way the video and telemetry recorded on your camera system will help you and your insurance company and the police to decide who was at fault. Some people like me also use them in front and rear windows of our vehicles to capture critical evidence of those bad drivers so the police and insurance companies can remove them from our roads so good drivers can drive safely. Authorised Dash-Cams can also reduce your insurance.

If you want a challenge, why not take your advanced driving test with the advanced motorists, that too will reduce the cost of your car insurance.

Be pro active in displaying good driving habits and try and use the evidence your cameras capture to remove the bad drivers from our roads.

Hope that helps?
I'm sure it might have helped, if you'd posted this 2 years ago.
Harrie Lyons
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
gaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
liverpool786110
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pointless things! Took em off 2 weeks after passing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.31%
I'm not sure (59)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (371)
29.33%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (617)
48.77%

Watched Threads