The Student Room Group

Applying for Engineering/CompSci

Posted a thread on this a few days back, but I noticed I posted it in the help thread rather than here... Ahh well, I've got it right this time around!

For a while now I've been looking at doing a degree in Engineering, but Computer Science has always been tempting. After going to the Warwick open day a week ago I thought that it's something that I might actually prefer... The thing is everything I've done has been geared towards Engineering, and while this is still an interest of mine, I'm now less sure. When talking to one of the admissions tutors at Warwick they told me that I'd have a good chance of getting in with the subjects I'm taking, provided I get high grades, even if I gear my personal statement mainly towards Engineering. If I did Computer Science I'd want to do Engineering modules where possible and vice versa, so I can back it all up that way, but I was just wondering whether I would have any chance of getting a place at either Bristol or Cambridge by organising my personal statement like this. I have secured two week-long work placements for Engineering in the summer, but it seems too late to get anything for CompSci now, although I'm still trying. I'm looking at doing the introductory online Computer Science course by MIT, but while I imagine this would look good on my personal statement I'm not sure if it's enough. I'm currently studying A2 Maths, AS Further Maths, AS Physics and AS Art & Design, and next year I'll drop Art & Design and take up AS Additional Further Maths to complete the Mechanics units. Would taking an AS in Computing as well be worth it, or would I be better off just focusing on getting very high scores in my other subjects? Thanks very much.
Reply 1
Hey!

I sort of had similar doubt and I ended up applying for Mechanical Engineering. I applied to Warwick, Bath, UCL, Cambridge and Imperial and got into the first three, I also managed to get an interview at Cambridge which i am quite happy about as I am an international student and I don't take A levels. I've chosen Bath as my firm and UCL as my insurance basically because I've heard UCL is not that great for engineering and I really like Bath's program me but right now, as the end of school is approaching and I'll be starting MechEng in october, I have more and more doubts. I was also really interested in Computer Science and i'm working on some programming online while i'm at school. I would recommend you to chose whatever you feel you like and you'll be motivated to do. I think some of my doubts come from the fact that I feel it's going to be really difficult and i seriously do not want to fail!!! I have a friend at Bath and she told me she was able to change degrees during the first month because she didn't like at all the one she had applied to. I feel universities want you to be happy while studying there so if it is possible they will allow you to change so if I were you i would focus on what you like best maybe you could take AS computing instead of art and design if you are willing to do so and then you wouldn't be narrowing your options!!
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! Impressive set of offers you've got there... I love the city of of Bath, and I'm going on an open day there so fingers crossed I'll like the University too! You're definitely right about needing the motivation, and I guess based solely on that I'd go for CompSci, as it's more Maths-y than Physics-y, and I'm not all that keen on the areas of Physics that require less calculation. More than anything I'd say that I want to do a subject that is a practical application of relatively complex Maths, but both subjects seem to have that element. Hopefully after some experience and some more open days I'll have a clearer idea...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending