The Student Room Group

IB subjects for Law

Are my IB subjects okay for me to study law?
- English A1 HL
- History HL
- Biology SL
- Spanish ab initio SL
- Maths Studies SL
- Economics HL
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sallyanne
Are my IB subjects okay for me to study law?
- English A1 HL
- History HL
- Biology HL
- Spanish ab initio SL
- Maths Studies SL
- Economics SL

yea it should be fine but probably maths standard would be better..
Reply 2
Yeah Remove maths studies...

If you are bright and trying to get into the top top universities a combination like this may be better:

Chemistry HL
Math HL
History HL

Econ SL
Spanish/French SL
Eng SL

You can't beat a science/maths/history higher level combination when going into law. It shows you can write essays, examine sources, think critically and laterally. Having english and history HL is a waste, 1 is fine. Bio is not as mathsy as chem/physics and may not be valued as much.

but it does depend on what you're good at, you still need good grades at the end :smile:
Reply 3
You subject choices are pretty good actually, stick with Maths Studies all my advisers have said to do it if your not doing a Maths based subject at University. :smile: Less stress when exams come round, trust me.

I'm doing Law next year at a top 10 university and got an offer at 36 points with:

English A1 HL
Business and Management HL
Film HL

Biology SL
Spanish Ab-Initio SL
Maths Studies SL

So yeah you should be fine, go for it and you'll do great :biggrin:
Where are you hoping to go to study? You definitely don't need Chemistry or Maths HL, especially if they're not your strongest subjects. I've got an offer for law with History, English, French HL; Chemistry, Physics, Maths SL. Most unis don't have any restrictions on the subjects they want you to study, but they do like essay-based subjects. I'd also recommend doing your EE on a law/current affairs based subject.
There is no point doing maths SL if you're not doing anything maths related at uni so stick with studies. I'd bring economic up to HL though
Reply 6
Frankly, I'd rather my Lawyer get a 7 in Math HL than one in Econ. It's about how you think.
How far does the IB really matter once one has a degree. Very little. And since HL math is not an IB requirement for law, do not bother.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jonty007
Yeah Remove maths studies...

If you are bright and trying to get into the top top universities a combination like this may be better:

Chemistry HL
Math HL
History HL

Econ SL
Spanish/French SL
Eng SL

You can't beat a science/maths/history higher level combination when going into law. It shows you can write essays, examine sources, think critically and laterally. Having english and history HL is a waste, 1 is fine. Bio is not as mathsy as chem/physics and may not be valued as much.

but it does depend on what you're good at, you still need good grades at the end :smile:

Utter tosh. On the University of Edinburgh website it says that if you do not have A level English lit you must have English at GCSE A in language and A in literature. For law, of course they would value English literature. Why would a lawyer need a Higher Level in chemistry ? Nonsense,

I think having English HL is a key prerequisite for Law. You should try putting Economics at HL as well, and dropping Biology to SL since you aren't really going to be doing anything science related, and having three important essay subjects would put you in a good position for Law. That said, if you prefer Bio to Econs, you should just stick with your combination. Doing subjects you like at HL would definitely boost your total points anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by Calllu-m
Utter tosh. On the University of Edinburgh website it says that if you do not have A level English lit you must have English at GCSE A in language and A in literature. For law, of course they would value English literature. Why would a lawyer need a Higher Level in chemistry ? Nonsense,

Theres a difference between meeting minimum requirements and standing out from the crowd. Good luck being average, idiot.
Theres a difference between meeting minimum requirements and standing out from the crowd. Good luck being average, idiot.

Yes thats all well and good but considering the OP said that they were going to do Maths Studies, do you really think they'd be able to get a 7 or 6 in HL? Doing maths studies or maths SL isn't average, they aren't supposed to be the subjects you excel at. And idiot? Considering I'm predicted 41 I wouldn't exactly call that average so please refrain from passing judgement on me when you don't know me.

Reply 12
Im predicted 42 with 776 HL Chem/Phys/Math
I can do anything with my life. what are your subjects again?
Reply 13
I'm in law, and I did:
English, Art and Psychology HL
Math, Physics, a language SL

I did MUN as an extracurricular and some public speaking.

A 40 in total.
Im predicted 42 with 776 HL Chem/Phys/Math
I can do anything with my life. what are your subjects again?

English History Geography which allow me to do what I know I want to do with my life.

Reply 15
I agree with the schedule posted by Jonty.

Having a History shows me you can contextualize and think effectively, math means you have strong problem solving skills, and physics compounds that. Taking English to higher level is not necessary for law. In fact, taking three essays to higher whilst sacrificing on the math, I wouldn't think, is a good idea.
Reply 16
Unless maths is really your forte then just stick to maths studies, none of the top British universities ask for maths HL/SL for Law. Nor do any of the universities care whether you take a SL maths or Maths studies.
Reply 17
I spoke to one perspective school for sixth form and they told me that by having Art SL I wouldn't be considered by unis for law as art is not an acceptable qualification?! Is this true?
Reply 18
Original post by emilys7
I spoke to one perspective school for sixth form and they told me that by having Art SL I wouldn't be considered by unis for law as art is not an acceptable qualification?! Is this true?

That is absolutely rubbish. Don't listen to it. Art is an acceptable IB subject that can be taken by any prospective law applicant. Sure it's a 'soft' subject but that shouldn't negatively impact your application if the rest of your subjects are well respected and your overall score is great.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending