The Student Room Group

Most embarrassing driving moments

Scroll to see replies

Probably stalling at the main traffic lights out of poole to join the dual carrigeway in rush hour. It wasn't the stall that was humilating it was flooding my car preventing it from restarting for a while, sat there causing mayhem in absolutely height of rush hour :colondollar: :colondollar:
Reply 61
I forgot to close my door in my driving test, drove off with it open :s-smilie: (still passed tho)

Having to go round woking's one way system 5 times as I kept holding back cars as I was trying to parallel park.
Reply 62
before i had my test, my teacher was teaching me bay parking in reverse. after we parked she asked me to check the line one my side, if it is straight. i forgot that the window was closed on my side and bang it my head straight into the window
I caused a massive traffic jam in a small village one night when I thought a line of parked cars near a set of traffic lights was a queue of traffic. After a few cars pulled out from behind me to overtake I realised my mistake. I don't think i've ever felt that stupid.
Original post by Fergo
I caused a massive traffic jam in a small village one night when I thought a line of parked cars near a set of traffic lights was a queue of traffic. After a few cars pulled out from behind me to overtake I realised my mistake. I don't think i've ever felt that stupid.

I've done similar - except I thought the queue of traffic was a line of parked cars, so blithely drove past them :o: Luckily there was a right turn at the traffic lights, so I just turned in there and pretended that was what I intended to do all along!
I was driving my ex to work earlier and came up to some traffic lights. As I war driving up they were amber and turned to green but for some unknown reason I thought they had turned red so I slowed down and stopped. I then got confused when another car went speeding past in the next lane, thinking they had gone through a red light till I looked up and realised the lights had been green the whole time.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 66
Had a driving lesson about a year ago and I had a chewing gum in my mouth, I was really stressed trying to do a 3 point turn under the pressure of a few cars starting to turn up either side of me and for some reason my chewing gum just flew out of my mouth and landed on my instructors lap!!! And to make it worse I had to pull it off his lap and still have another hour lesson with him, embarrasing!!
Original post by Chipmunk17
Had a driving lesson about a year ago and I had a chewing gum in my mouth, I was really stressed trying to do a 3 point turn under the pressure of a few cars starting to turn up either side of me and for some reason my chewing gum just flew out of my mouth and landed on my instructors lap!!! And to make it worse I had to pull it off his lap and still have another hour lesson with him, embarrasing!!

This thread has been dead for 19 months, I think the forum rule is that threads dead for 3 months or longer stay dead
Original post by benplumley
This thread has been dead for 19 months, I think the forum rule is that threads dead for 3 months or longer stay dead

I think it should be brought up again.

------------------------------------------------------

My embarrassing moment was when I was coming home from work one day when I was working about an 1hr 30 mins away from my house. To get there it was pretty much country lanes all the way and if you got stuck behind a slow car you'd be stuck for the whole journey.

So I was driving along at about 50-60mph and I caught up with a Golf following a little old car driven by a pensioner. The OAP was in front, going at about 40mph and the Golf was behind her. I was behind the Golf and a Range Rover was behind me. We were all bumbling along behind this OAP at 40mph when the limit was 60mph, and you could easily make 60mph on this particular road.

We all went around a corner and the road straightened up to a pretty long straight. There were no cars coming the other way so the Golf stuck his indicator on and overtook the OAP. The road was still clear and there was plenty of straight left for me to overtake too. So I changed into 5th, stuck my indicator on and pulled out for the overtake.

I've never overtaken before on a country lane, and after this will probably never overtake in a country lane again in that car. My car is a 1.2l Corsa, so as I pulled out to over take I pushed the accelerator down and tried to overtake. I forgot that a 1.2l doesn't accelerate quickly so it took me ages to even get along side the pensioner. I didn't dare look over when I was along side! I even thought about braking and slipping back behind the OAP (but didn't want to lose man points). Eventually I got in front of the OAP and got back in (still with plenty of road left). I was pretty embarrassed by then, but a little later down the road the Range Rover caught up with me and was following me, so the OAP had obviously turned off somewhere so if I had waited just a bit longer I wouldn't have needed to overtake in the first place!!
Original post by Runninground
I think it should be brought up again.

I agree, but the way to do this isn't to revive an old thread, it's to make a new one. I think the main reason for this is if someone quotes what someone said back in June 2012, that person is going to get a notification about it and have to try and respond when they probably don't even remember making the post. It's just bad forum etiquette, and it is in the rules:
4. Please check before posting that the thread is still current. If you’re adding to a thread that’s been dormant for more than six months, you’re probably better off starting a new thread instead.
Source
So I changed into 5th

Why would you do that? Unless it was a typo.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Why would you do that? Unless it was a typo.

I don't know. In the excitement of it all I guess? I would have done it better in 4th but I stupidly thought 'I'll change up now so I don't need to when i'm overtaking'.
I don't know. In the excitement of it all I guess? I would have done it better in 4th but I stupidly thought 'I'll change up now so I don't need to when i'm overtaking'.

It's making me cringe just thinking about it! My car would be so horrendously sluggish if I tried to overtake from 40mph in fifth. Shove it into third and put your foot down next time :tongue:
Reply 73
Urnm i would say it was when i stalled like twice on a hill.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
It's making me cringe just thinking about it! My car would be so horrendously sluggish if I tried to overtake from 40mph in fifth. Shove it into third and put your foot down next time :tongue:

I couldn't do it in third, my car would be screaming! I'm kinda glad I did it (even though it was ages ago) because now I know how to overtake on a country lane, from experience :tongue:
I was a bus driver for a short time. A woman with whom I once had spent the night with boarded my bus. I had to act as if we had never met.
Reply 76
most embarrassing driving moments?

...I've seen some ****.

(okay, I almost crashed into a roundabout once, with my whole family in the car. no big deal, they just don't trust me to drive them anywhere anymore. that's okay.)
(edited 10 years ago)
I couldn't do it in third, my car would be screaming! I'm kinda glad I did it (even though it was ages ago) because now I know how to overtake on a country lane, from experience :tongue:

So would mine (smaller engine than yours) but it's better than staying on the wrong side of the road for that long.
Reply 78
The "Changed into 5th" comment reminds me of soooo many people I know who assume that "higher gear = higher speed = higher acceleration" whereas in truth, "higher gear = higher speed = lower acceleration"

One of my previous cars had an 8000 rpm redline and 8600 rpm rev limiter. So overtaking on a country road would mean changing down from 5th to 2nd, overtake, and then straight back into 5th once past. If I did get close to the rev limit then I'd change up but normally it wasn't required as 8600rpm in 2nd was about 65mph. Even so, changing up only takes half a second or so.

Current car has flappy paddle gearshift :colone:
A set of temporary traffic lights were installed a couple of houses before mine, I pulled out of my driveway & promptly stalled... there was a long queue of traffic waiting at the lights, oh my god it was so embarassing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending