The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 3 - BLY3H - Monday 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by brightbulb
I don't think so - but it might be an advantage to know it.

Thanks.. Just wondering as those two areas are the ones that I really can't get my head around
Original post by brightbulb
Nervous about this exam :frown: I need 97 UMS to get an A* D: The only subject I have a chance of getting an A* in :frown:

Looks Like You're In The Exact Same Situation As Me! Fingers Crossed We'll Get At Least 97%!
Original post by TheSilentFez
Does anyone else find the AQA Mark Schemes infuriatingly fussy and pedantic?
I'm really dreading B3. The questions are so difficult and I'm really trying to get 100 UMS in B1, B2, B3 and the ISA.
I did one past paper and got 37/45 which thankfully was 100 UMS, but only after going through all the other past papers and looking at what the mark scheme expects. Now I'm afraid I won't be so precise tomorrow morning and lose more marks.

What do you want 100 UMS in all biology units for? At the end of the day it will still be an A*...
Original post by Jigglypuff786
What do you want 100 UMS in all biology units for? At the end of the day it will still be an A*...

Why not set your standards high?
Anyway, if I get less than 100 in Further I'll probably feel that I could do better, but wouldn't dwell on it too much.
So long as I get an A*, I'll be happy.
Does anyone else find the AQA Mark Schemes infuriatingly fussy and pedantic?
I'm really dreading B3. The questions are so difficult and I'm really trying to get 100 UMS in B1, B2, B3 and the ISA.
I did one past paper and got 37/45 which thankfully was 100 UMS, but only after going through all the other past papers and looking at what the mark scheme expects. Now I'm afraid I won't be so precise tomorrow morning and lose more marks.

This.

It's so unnecessary as well! A lot of the time they say "ignore" to answers which are actually correct!

I'm honestly thankful I only need 70 UMS to get the grade I want.
Can I just give everyone a small tip for B3?
There will probably be a few questions on respiration regarding exercise and also microorganisms. One thing that will help you fit with the mark scheme is to always specify (and make sure you know) whether the respiration is aerobic or anaerobic and (if necessary for the question) put what the products are/what you need.

Good luck!

I'm more nervous about chemistry and physics. Aargh. D:
Original post by usycool1
Not true. I know loads of people who work so hard to try and achieve a C or D grade but I wouldn't classify them as "ridicoulsly stupid."

Thank you!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 67
Hi everyone, i need 94 ums for the grade i want. What raw mark would that averagely convert to?

Also, i have trouble with how cyanide affects respiration, what do i need to know about this?

I really hope i get the grade i want :smile:
Also, in a couple of past papers - Jan 08 and June 10 I found questions on 'the theory of biogenesis'.
I looked in the index of our textbook and found nothing...
Assuming we all have the same AQA textbook can anyone find anything about it (a page number would be really helpful!) :s-smilie: ?

From what I gathered from the internet it's basically a theory that life can only originate from life so bacteria/microbes etc cannot just appear from thin air. Is that accurate? I'd rather like to know what AQA say though.
Original post by mazam

Also, i have trouble with how cyanide affects respiration, what do i need to know about this?

I really hope i get the grade i want :smile:

I did that paper but I think that was just a one off example which could change for each paper.
(AQA love using random applied examples that we can't revise for)
I think the text in that question said that the cyanide reduces the rate of respiration in the small intestine (which is why it is poisonous).
That could be bad since glucose and other molecules need to be absorbed by active transport (which requires energy) in the small intestine. But if there's less energy from respiration then less glucose gets absorbed.

Generally though I don't think you need to memorise that. Just have a general idea of what active transport needs and what respiration results in and use those ideas to apply them to the examples that AQA throws at us in the exam!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by PurpleSquid
Also, in a couple of past papers - Jan 08 and June 10 I found questions on 'the theory of biogenesis'.
I looked in the index of our textbook and found nothing...
Assuming we all have the same AQA textbook can anyone find anything about it (a page number would be really helpful!) :s-smilie: ?

From what I gathered from the internet it's basically a theory that life can only originate from life so bacteria/microbes etc cannot just appear from thin air. Is that accurate? I'd rather like to know what AQA say though.

That is accurate yeah :smile: Spontaneous Generation used to be the accepted theory (life could be created from non living things) but this was replaced by Biogenesis. There's a section about it in the AQA CGP Biology revision guide if you've got that.. It just basically says about how Biogenesis was proved when a 'swan neck' flask was used as the microbes got trapped in the neck (while air could still reach the broth in the flask). The broth didn't go off, even after years as the microbes couldn't reach it since they got trapped in the curve in the neck, proving Biogenesis.
Reply 71
helloooooo everyone! Just rose from a couple of past papers and seem to be doing okay, I need to get 100ums to safely get an A*
Reply 72
I did that paper but I think that was just a one off example which could change for each paper.
(AQA love using random applied examples that we can't revise for)
I think the text in that question said that the cyanide reduces the rate of respiration in the small intestine (which is why it is poisonous).
That could be bad since glucose and other molecules need to be absorbed by active transport (which requires energy) in the small intestine. But if there's less energy from respiration then less glucose gets absorbed.

Generally though I don't think you need to memorise that. Just have a general idea of what active transport needs and what respiration results in and use those ideas to apply them to the examples that AQA throws at us in the exam!

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile: The only topics i find difficult to understand are Biogas/Generators.

Also, do you think a question on the different types of biogas generators will come up?
Original post by OllieWolly
That is accurate yeah :smile: Spontaneous Generation used to be the accepted theory (life could be created from non living things) but this was replaced by Biogenesis. There's a section about it in the AQA CGP Biology revision guide if you've got that.. It just basically says about how Biogenesis was proved when a 'swan neck' flask was used as the microbes got trapped in the neck (while air could still reach the broth in the flask). The broth didn't go off, even after years as the microbes couldn't reach it since they got trapped in the curve in the neck, proving Biogenesis.

Yep I have it! (although I abandoned it because I thought the AQA textbook should really be all we need to know since the exam board approved it an all...Apparently not haha)
Thank you! I'll go take a look. :smile: Yay for last minute revision...
Does anyone else have both B2 and B3 tomorrow morning, or is it only my school which has decided to make us do this?
Reply 75
Yeah... they way they ask the questions is weird. Did a past paper today, got penalised for something I'd written down that was right. Weird.
Reply 76
Yep I have it! (although I abandoned it because I thought the AQA textbook should really be all we need to know since the exam board approved it an all...Apparently not haha)
Thank you! I'll go take a look. :smile: Yay for last minute revision...

You're most definitely not the only one who's cramming last minute! :smile: I'm still trying to remember differences between arteries, veins and capillaries
Reply 77
Does anyone else have both B2 and B3 tomorrow morning, or is it only my school which has decided to make us do this?

Nope I do too :smile: And then I've got B1 a few weeks after
Original post by mazam
Thanks a lot :smile: The only topics i find difficult to understand are Biogas/Generators.

Also, do you think a question on the different types of biogas generators will come up?

You're welcome. :smile:

Hmm I was wondering that too... But it has never come up on a past paper (I think). Maybe they'll decide to surprise us since it's the last sitting for this specification isn't it? xD Hopefully not. If I were you I would just learn the basic concepts and advantages/disadvantages. I wouldn't get too caught up with it though, there's plenty of other stuff to revise!

Nope I have both tomorrow as well. :frown: I think we just sit Unit 2 and then they hand us the next paper straight afterwards. Argh!
doing this tomorrow aswell, been through about 5 past papers and getting average B's.. despite copying out the textbook, revision guide and more!

Quick Reply