The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Damn.. Torres will obviously feel vindicated about moving.
Original post by Zerforax

Shame he didn't take the last penalty. I wanted Bayern to win but if anybody were going to clinch it for Chelsea i'de rather it be Torres.
Reply 42
Only silver lining is that hopefully they'll keep RDM and their owner will feel that massive investment/a squad rehaul is not needed as they've won the FA cup & CL, which is good for us.
Reply 43
Original post by Dreamweaver
Shame he didn't take the last penalty. I wanted Bayern to win but if anybody were going to clinch it for Chelsea i'de rather it be Torres.

He was never going to take a penalty. Takes very few generally and doesn't have the composure.

Anyway, he left the club a long time ago now.

Chelsea to give RDM the job now? Means Capello shouldn't get a job there?

Capello, Benitez or AVB I'd take as new manager..
Reply 44
Original post by Pn94
Only silver lining is that hopefully they'll keep RDM and their owner will feel that massive investment/a squad rehaul is not needed as they've won the FA cup & CL, which is good for us.

Yes + Spurs will get weaker imo.

They won't get Adebayor as his wages are way too high for a team not in the CL. Modric will probably force a move this summer.

Next season I'd expect us to finish at least 5th (ie still expect City, Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea to be strong in the league).
Reply 45
He was never going to take a penalty. Takes very few generally and doesn't have the composure.

Anyway, he left the club a long time ago now.

Chelsea to give RDM the job now? Means Capello shouldn't get a job there?

Capello, Benitez or AVB I'd take as new manager..

but for how long? how long do you think RA will give RDM (if he gets perm) and FSG on our manager?
Reply 46

He was rightfully vindicated when he played his first group stage game in the UCL this year tbf.
Reply 47
So Liverpool are still the third best team in Europe!

lol congrats Chelsea
Reply 48
Bloody Torres, celebrating like he is the don. Other than Euro 2008 has he ever made a significant contribution to winning a trophy?
Reply 49
Original post by mr tim
but for how long? how long do you think RA will give RDM (if he gets perm) and FSG on our manager?

A year contract - he'll want to be flexible to try and lure Guardiola when he comes back from his vacation.

RDM will accept because he just wants a big job to prove himself further.

FSG should give our new manager a minimum of 2 to 3 years. Too many changes in direction so someone really needs time to stamp their authority on the club, which will take time.
Reply 50
Original post by rickjames
He was rightfully vindicated when he played his first group stage game in the UCL this year tbf.

:eyeball: who cares about playing in the group stages in the CL? It's great for the club in terms of revenue but as a player?

You want to be in the CL to win it, otherwise it's meaningless.
Reply 51
Yes + Spurs will get weaker imo.

They won't get Adebayor as his wages are way too high for a team not in the CL. Modric will probably force a move this summer.

Next season I'd expect us to finish at least 5th (ie still expect City, Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea to be strong in the league).

Yeah Modric will deffo be off imo, he wanted out last year and no CL will not appease him. Same with Bale, he's made noises recently about being off if there's no CL.

Looking at it, it was actually a very good result for our league campaign next season. Agree 5th should certainly be achieveable at the least.
Reply 52
:eyeball: who cares about playing in the group stages in the CL? It's great for the club in terms of revenue but as a player?

You want to be in the CL to win it, otherwise it's meaningless.

Yeah, but at least he got the chance to win the CL with his team. He would have wasted the remainder of his prime to try and get it with Liverpool.

The moment he stepped on for the opening game of the CL was when he was vindicated, at least his side were in the competition was my point.
Reply 53
Happy for Eva Caneiro
Reply 54
Original post by Pn94
Yeah Modric will deffo be off imo, he wanted out last year and no CL will not appease him. Same with Bale, he's made noises recently about being off if there's no CL.

Looking at it, it was actually a very good result for our league campaign next season. Agree 5th should certainly be achieveable at the least.

Think Bale will stay another year.

But we'll see, no point in worrying about other teams unless we perform first.
Reply 55
Glad we didn't get 4th or that be us that worried like spurs. so it was the top 3, again something that had we tried way more harder, we could have got.

Anyway hopefully we'll improve in the league next season but that depends on the manger, players he signs etc.
Reply 56
Torres running around with that trophy makes me cringe.

Think Bale will stay another year.

But we'll see, no point in worrying about other teams unless we perform first.

Yeah.

Quite excited to see who we'll sign if we get AVB/Rafa, as we'll undoubtedly stray away from British players.
Reply 57
It hurts not being in the CL :frown:.

Regarding the manager, I'm pretty confident it will be AVB getting the role. If we go down the DoF route and can get a good one in as well, then there's exciting times ahead, IMO.

PS. I will get top 10 in this thread. I started posting too late last time.
Reply 58
Original post by JoeK

PS. I will get top 10 in this thread. I started posting too late last time.

The race is on!
(edited 11 years ago)
Do Liverpool go straight into the group stages now?

Latest