The Student Room Group

Creative/Design conversion course?

Hi,

I have a 2:1 degree in media comms. I graduated a couple of years ago and worked in an out of home agency (not creative, it was buying) but decided I didnt enjoy it as much as I should and went travelling. Well now know I want a creative job....ive always been creative but for whatever reason - regrettably I didnt pursue it.

But there seems to be little to no help about getting into this/what path to take next. Id be very greatful if someone could advise. I am educated to a good standard..so whats best for me?

Are there any 'conversion courses'...?

I looked into doing an MA in Graphic Design but really I need something more focused on getting my portfolio up to scratch - I find them to be kind of abstract and dont concentrate on getting me to learn the ins and outs of all the programs to a professional standard. I have started a graphic design course recently but its really easy and to be honest isnt preparing me for the realities of graphic design. Im designing packaging which is fine, but the standard of expectation is pretty low.

I looked at Shillington college but its £10k and you dont come out with any type of qualification.

I have been advised its worth doing an internship - which im happy to do, but its a catch 22, as I have okish knowledge on the adobe programs but not really to a high professional standard. I feel kind of trapped because I want to get a job as a junior designer in a design agency - or something along those lines but I dont know whats best for me education wise.

Advise? :smile:
Reply 1
I know this is late, but I was wondering what you decided to do in the end?

I'm planning to do Shillington College in January... it seems like the best option to get you into the graphic design field (for me anyway) and job prospects seem to be quite high, looking at previous graduates of the course.
Reply 2
I'm doing a course called postgraduate diploma in design for visual communication at the London college of communication (one of the colleges that form a part of university of the arts London).

Heres a link:
http://www.arts.ac.uk/lcc/courses/postgraduate/pg-dip-design-visual-communication/

It's around £5000 for a full time course, which is two days a week, but you really need to work other days of the week to keep up with the workload. There's also a part time version with a similar name, where you graduate from UAL with a certificate.

It started as a portfolio building course for those who want to do an MA but haven't got the right skills, but it teaches all the basic components of graphic design. Within the first six months, the average student is producing third year undergraduate level work (at least in my opinion anyway).

People on both courses go straight into professional practice or onto an MA. You get a discount if you then do your MA at the university of the arts London which includes central saint martins, chelse college of art and camberwell college of art. You might want to check that last part though, I can't remember where I read that.

I've found the course challenging, but very rewarding - I've learnt a lot in a short space of time. With very little background in design (I've done some amateur illustration, BA in philosophy, and some knowledge of adobe illustrator and photoshop) I felt like this was the best course to help me change career.

These courses don't teach you the computer skills, instead, they aim to teach something you can't learn in 3 months - how to create aesthetic value in design work.

I hope you found the right course for you in the end. This one certainly helped me but isn't advertised as a career conversion course, so doesnt get the limelight it deserves. Best of luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi Livlifelateral
Thanks for ur sharing! I know it's late but I hope u see this message, I also have a philosophy degree which I never get to use and looking to do a postgraduate certificate in design for visual communication from London college of communication. Could u please tell me how did u manage to come up with a profolio to apply for the course?? I used to love drawing and art lessons when I was younger and gave up long time ago, I have working in felds of sales, marketing and customer service but didn't enjoy any of those and I finally decide to do something I would love instead. I tried to learn photoshop by myself but it doesn't seem to go anywhere, and my drawing skills are no where near professional, I really don't know how to put a profolio together from zero. Please give me some advices as we have very similar situation.

Many thanks!!!
Sandy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending