The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by PandaWho
yep! or as full as i could get it without weeing myself!

i think i have most of the symptoms unfortunately :frown:

I never thought Low mood was a symptom :s
Hello internet,My name is Rosie, a 17 year old girl from the South. I have been 'overweight' for most of my life, I was teased for it in primary school. I was the girl who was bubbly and happy but couldn't wear the short gingham dresses in the summer without wearing shorts underneath due to the bastard called 'chub rub'. Oh he is annoying as heck! He also attacks leggings and causes the dreaded moment when your sitting down and you find a breeze in your inner thigh, and then you observe the strings hanging on for dear life holding the two pieces together. Buts that's another story all together.

I was 'diagnosed', I say that in inverted commas because it was more like 'Oh you faint every time you get stressed?' 'You must have anxiety, lets give you some pills'. Hallelujah! They found out the cause of my daily panic attacks. And the pills helped, they really did, especially in exam season. But this isnt an anxiety story, well, she will come into play but this about a little known 'disease' called polycystic ovary syndrome something I had not heard of till recently, because I have got PCOS. I thought I had to be waxed every two weeks, EVERYWHERE because of my dad's Asian heritage. Nope, I have side burns because of those little buggers residing in my ovaries.

On the 28th July 2015 I was told by my doctor who I can only describe is a female version of Elmo that I have a ring of cysts in both my ovaries, of which she compared to a pearl necklace and quote un quote looked very pretty and one of my fallopian tubes is full of liquid. I take metabet/metformin and the combined mini pill. The pill regulates my periods as they didn't know what the hell they were doing. Metformin however I hated at the start. It caused horrible headaches and 'tummy' problems. Now I love it, I'm shedding pound by pound.

I have horrible cramps which confine me to my bed as they are that painful. My headaches are hell too. Combined with anxiety and depression is horrible. Any of you struggling with severe anxiety during this exam season? I'm on propanolol for anxiety but my hormones are still all over the place.
Hiya has anyone else got a polycystic ovaries diagnosis but not a PCOS one?? Coz when I was 13 (16 now) I went to a dermatologist for my crazy bad acne and when I mentioned irregular periods (and she saw my weight) she sent me for a blood test and an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed ovarian cysts and the radiographer told me I had PCOS but then the blood test came back normal... This really confused me because I have lots of the symptoms (and my acne was hormonal because the pill cleared it up), an ultrasound but a normal blood result.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brunettegirl92
There is no cure for pcos, however there are medications and treatments to help you deal with the symptoms.
It won't be a waste of your doctors time, because although pcos is not as bad some other diseases, it can still have effects on your health and your life. I suspected i had pcos for a while as it is hereditory, my mum has it, and i displayed the symptoms. It got better once it was diagnosed, because I was advised on what action to take.

I was tested by blood test and an ultrasound of my ovaries.My periods were not regular, but they are improving. This could be because I was put on metformin, however, i also changed my lifestyle.
I had weight issues; women with pcos often have this as it is linked to insulin resistance. I avoided high carbs like pasta, bread and rice, stuck to protein and salad.
if when trying to lose weight, you find meat to be too fatty or calorific Quorn may be lower calorie, with good amounts of protein, depending on the product.
Don@t forget to do plenty of exercise.

I have small hairs on my neck and chin, and am having electrolysis to remove these as they are sparse. Like you, I have hair on my stomach - this is more dense so i am having epilight treatment.
I had acne, and it still sometimes comes back. for this I have been prescribed Retin-A face cream.

once my course of epilight/electrolysis is over, and i have lost weight (which is going well), i will still have pcos, but the symptoms will have no effect as long as I stick to the lifestyle.

did you know that victoria beckham has pcos?
having it doesn't mean you are doomed to a life of over-hanging stomach, shaving your lady-beard, covering a hairy stomach and being lucky to have children - i thought it was when it started. but these are all very treatable.

I hope this helps and you start to feel better about it

When I was first diagnosed about 2 and a half years ago (now 17) I thought that was exactly was I was destined for, and googling "role models with pcos" did little to help (although I did find out Sara Pascoe has it! And she's great!). So nice to see a forum here, especially for people around my age, as when I was first diagnosed the only threads I could find were all from middle aged women (no hate to them, but it wasn't really something a 15 year old could relate to, ya feel?). Thank you for sharing this info, and thanks to OP for starting this thread! Much love to all my gals (and guys with ovaries) suffering from PCOS out there xx

Latest