The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oldlady
If you have no intention of going then perhaps you don't need to bother - indeed why put it as insurance at all if you would never take it up? My older son had no insurance, St Andrews was both his first choice and lowest conditional offer, so he declined all the others. It's not meant to be annoying - it's meant to be helpful!

True, I suppose I should've just left it but I didn't want to reject St Andrews after I went on the summer school last year.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1781
Ahh just got through an unconditional for mathematics!! :biggrin:
Just been declined for single Philosophy, reason being:
Unfortunately you were in competition with applicants who

were stronger academically. Our asking rates are high, but

every year the proportion of applicants already holding, or

predicted to obtain grades higher than our asking rates

increases. As a result this means some highly qualified

candidates have not been offered admission to the University

as we simply do not have enough places.

I'm just a bit angry, I feel if my sixth form had of backed me and gave me a few perks i.e prefect position, school council, head boy, peer mentoring placement or put me on a summer school like other students I could have got in.

Good luck to all other applicants, Sheffield it is.
Original post by JimmyRustler

I'm just a bit angry, I feel if my sixth form had of backed me and gave me a few perks i.e prefect position, school council, head boy, peer mentoring placement or put me on a summer school like other students I could have got in.

Aww, bad luck :frown: I'm still waiting, but I reckon I'll get a similar response! Lots of people are going to Sheffield, and I hear it's a great uni! Good luck! :smile:

I didn't get an email, but I got an 'unsuccessful' update on my ucas track :frown:((
And I think it's rather rude that they waited 6 months to tell me
Original post by lornarose

I'm sure they weren't trying to be rude. They probably just wanted to wait to measure you up against everyone else.
I didn't get an email, but I got an 'unsuccessful' update on my ucas track :frown:((

Aww :frown: i'm sorry to hear, i don't think its that you're a weak applicant, its just they gave the offers to the oxbridge lot who picked it as their 3rd/4th/5th choice who will go for oxbridge anyways

Where are you looking to go now if you don't mind me asking?
Aww :frown: i'm sorry to hear, i don't think its that you're a weak applicant, its just they gave the offers to the oxbridge lot who picked it as their 3rd/4th/5th choice who will go for oxbridge anyways

Where are you looking to go now if you don't mind me asking?

Well, I'm waiting on Edinburgh. But if I don't get into Edinburgh, then Liverpool I think. In fact, I will have to visit Manchester and Leeds just in case. What where your other two options?
Original post by ElizabethRG
I'm sure they weren't trying to be rude. They probably just wanted to wait to measure you up against everyone else.

Probs, I'm just in a spiteful mood, haha/
Well, I'm waiting on Edinburgh. But if I don't get into Edinburgh, then Liverpool I think. In fact, I will have to visit Manchester and Leeds just in case. What where your other two options?

They are all great universities! I think what you have to consider is would you really like to be at St Andrews? Sure its highly regarded but there is literally nothing there; its like marmite - you either love it or hate it! Also, all the uni's you have just mentioned are very very very very close to St Andrews in the league tables, so its not a big loss! It's their loss at the end of the day. There are too many great applicants and not enough places. I just wish they had of interviewed.

I'll be firming Sheffield now and putting in Essex for insurance (as they have offered a year abroad in Japan/Hong Kong which I would love!)
They are all great universities! I think what you have to consider is would you really like to be at St Andrews? Sure its highly regarded but there is literally nothing there; its like marmite - you either love it or hate it! Also, all the uni's you have just mentioned are very very very very close to St Andrews in the league tables, so its not a big loss! It's their loss at the end of the day. There are too many great applicants and not enough places. I just wish they had of interviewed.

I'll be firming Sheffield now and putting in Essex for insurance (as they have offered a year abroad in Japan/Hong Kong which I would love!)

That's awesome! Yes, I think there are many wonderful Universities, and to be honest, I'd probably be more suited to a City Uni life! I REALLY want to do a year abroad.
Reply 1792
Hi - does anyone know if accommodation is given out on a first-come-first-serve basis? So, those who apply quickly will take priority to those who do not?
Replies would be greatfully received!! :smile:
I never realised just how expensive it'd be too visit the town :redface: Think the only way I'll be able to afford going is if I managed to get a child's ticket :rolleyes:
Reply 1794
Original post by adieu
Hi - does anyone know if accommodation is given out on a first-come-first-serve basis? So, those who apply quickly will take priority to those who do not?
Replies would be greatfully received!! :smile:

No. As long as you apply before 30th June then not only are you guaranteed accommodation, but you'll also be considered equally along with everyone else. So applying early does not get you a better room.

Also, those who already have unconditional offers will find out their room earlier than those who have only conditional offers, but again it doesn't mean you have a worse room, they just can't tell you what they've reserved for you until you're unconditional. :smile:
Original post by oldlady
I know, I can't believe they have still got people to notify. 2 years ago my older son heard in the last week of February, so we knew we'd have to wait compared to other universities - but weren't expecting it to be this long. All I can say by way of consolation is these late ones include acceptances, not just rejections as we feared. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

Thanks for your kind words but it wasnt good news.....:eek:

I agree but hey im sure you will do fab werever you go,my son was declined yesterday also........good luck for your future :angry:
Original post by TheFOMaster
I never realised just how expensive it'd be too visit the town :redface: Think the only way I'll be able to afford going is if I managed to get a child's ticket :rolleyes:

Where are you travelling from? A Megabus to Dundee then another bus to St As won't be too bad cost wise :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TheFOMaster

How far are you coming from?
I got a pretty cheap return on the train from Edinburgh. Websites like redspottedhanky and thetrainline are good if you book well in advance :smile:
and megabus is always amazing!
Reply 1799
Original post by jonjojack
Thanks for your kind words but it wasnt good news.....:eek:

Oh I'm so sorry, and for others like lornarose and jimmyrustler in the same position. It's exceptionally hard to wait all that time and then get bad news. Miserable, no two ways about it.

Quick Reply