The Student Room Group

university blacklist's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Get A's in all your subjects more importantly maths, then do AS level further maths next year, and youll have a good chance of going leeds. Trust me
ok my school didnt offer economic's, however the sciences are offer but the science teacher are all biologists except one which is a chemistry graduate. i took physics but the teaching was rubbish and she diddnt have a clue ( always second guessing herself and getting things wrong herself numerous times before getting the correct answer, and this happened all the time) so im expecting a U in physic. as for the gcse's only 33% of around 200 pupils got 5 A-C's
ahh okay thanks did you do further maths yourself btw
Reply 23
Original post by prog2djent
Business studies shouldn't be a blacklisted subject, in fact I think it isn't.

It is here - From Trinity College Cambridge's website:
Trinity College Cambridge

In assessing applicants taking A-levels for all Cambridge courses, Trinity takes into consideration not only the individual A-level subjects offered but also the combination of subjects. To be a realistic applicant adequately prepared for studying here, A-level candidates will normally need to satisfy certain basic requirements. The following Table lists the most commonly studied subjects at A-level according to four categories: A1 and A2 contain respectively Science and Arts A-levels about which we have no general concerns regarding suitability; B lists A-levels we consider to be of more limited suitability (the University subject(s) for which we deem each of these A-levels to be useful is/are specified in brackets); and category C consists of A-levels we consider suitable only as a fourth subject.

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels

Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels

Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

LIST B
A-levels of More Limited Suitability

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Arts)
Business Studies (Economics)
Computing (Computer Science)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

LIST C
A-levels Suitable Only As Fourth Subjects

Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Science for Public Understanding
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development

That's not to say I necessarily agree with the list, or that other universities go by this list - If I remember correctly, someone at my school last year got an Oxford offer that accepted Critical Thinking.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by FDR

That's not to say I necessarily agree with the list, or that other universities go by this list - If I remember correctly, someone at my school last year got an Oxford offer that accepted Critical Thinking.

Well its not really on the "blacklist" really, I, lets be honest, these are for the Golden UNI's, in which the majority don't apply.

Most university's will look at three groups IMHO, the classics, like Maths, non-social sciences, english, history, geography, and a second list which includes social sciences, economics, business studies, geography may tie in with this too, and history, and traditional arts subjects like music and art, and modern technical subjects like computing. And then would have a poop list with stuff like Media, Tourism etc etc
ahh right gives me abit of hope but the personal finance is a diploma that is equilivant to an A level im told by teachers, i wonder where that comes
Reply 26
Also don't get brainwashed into believing the rg is the be all and end all. E&Y sponsors a degree at lancaster etc.
whats the rg
Original post by stephenworsley
i'm stuyting business studies, personal finance and maths at A level eventually wanting to become an accountant or some thing along those lines. i chose these subjects because they suit the sort of thing i want to do as a career. but the personal finance and business studies are both subjects which aren't respected by universities and are both in the so called 'Blacklist'. I'm quite confident ill get 2 A's from these subjects and the a B or maybe an A from Maths.

I'm wanting to go to either the University of Leeds, York, Manchester or Sheffield and im wondering if i've blown my chances of getting on to an announting or Maths degree at one of these because of the subjects i study.

You've blown your chance cuz of Personal Finance, sorry. Business Studies would have been fine if you had 2 respectable subjects alongside it. By the way, why are you only doing 3 AS Levels?
Reply 29
whats the rg

Russell Group.
it's the group of the uk's large, research universities including the ones you mentioned in the op.
it's published a document on it's website about A level choices that's probably worth reading.
Original post by The Doggfather
You've blown your chance cuz of Personal Finance, sorry. Business Studies would have been fine if you had 2 respectable subjects alongside it. By the way, why are you only doing 3 AS Levels?

He has chosen 3 relevant subjects,including maths which is well respected and although these choices won't work for Oxbridge or most Russell group universities,he should be able to get into most universities to study Accountancy.
Reply 31
Original post by Arturo Bandini
blacklists doesn't need an apostrophe

This sentence needs a capital letter, quotation marks and a full stop.
Reply 32
Original post by FDR

Where is Mickey Mouse Studies? :confused:
Original post by Madmachine
This sentence needs a capital letter, quotation marks and a full stop.

touché
ok my school didnt offer economic's,

May I suggest that you invest in a box of Cadbury's Roses and then find the most helpful English teacher in your school and ask her for a lesson on the correct use of the apostrophe. A very significant proportion of the educated population of this country, including university tutors and employers, are very annoyed by its [no apostrophe] misuse. It's [apostrophe] seen as the grammar crime, above all others, and really will hold you back in life.
i read it somewhere that it is along with subjects like health and social and media. but who knows hopefully they will accept it but if not i wont be going to russell group uni and all the grief ive given my sister for going to leeds trinity will back fire haha.

Haha, you can't dish out grief about unis and then study personal finance. I havent even heard of it now but it sounds like a shocker. What do they teach you? I bet its like 'here is how you make a weekly budget'.
You can get an A Level in Personal Finance? :lolwut: (are you sure that this is an A Level, and not an A level "equivalent" like a BTEC?)

Also, why do you think that A Level FM would be too much, but degree level maths wouldn't be?
i mean the work load of 3 A2's and two AS's as well with fm and physic. not the difficulty
Original post by Sternumator
Haha, you can't dish out grief about unis and then study personal finance. I havent even heard of it now but it sounds like a shocker. What do they teach you? I bet its like 'here is how you make a weekly budget'.

erm sort of but not quite so easy its about mortgages and different types of loads and how to advise people on what to do based on there personal circumstances
Original post by nulli tertius
May I suggest that you invest in a box of Cadbury's Roses and then find the most helpful English teacher in your school and ask her for a lesson on the correct use of the apostrophe. A very significant proportion of the educated population of this country, including university tutors and employers, are very annoyed by its [no apostrophe] misuse. It's [apostrophe] seen as the grammar crime, above all others, and really will hold you back in life.

haven't you got anything better to do that pick out people spelling mistakes, its a force of habit while typing and if i don't go back and check then they aren't removed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending