Say good night prime minister - GCHQ cover-up Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
I must be the only one on UKL that doesn't hold much against Mr Blair. Better than Howard anyday really.
agreed - howard is a blood-sucking vampire
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
agreed - howard is a blood-sucking vampire
well i wouldn't go that far, but he is v. unintelligent
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
u never go that far - u are sensible - i am sensible too when i want to be
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no i didnt say that - i do think however that it shows a lack of respect when he represents the UN which is meant to be ethical and benevolent and wish to maintain order in our world - and u can vote lib dems so there!!!
Fair enough. But at the end of the day, does the UN deserve to be placed upon this mighty pedestal? The first Gulf War is the one notable major issue is seems to have agreed on (at least that come to mind...). Yes it has a lot of members, but can't we just dismiss it as a talking shop? That may or may not be the case, I'm just suggesting it as a possibility.

Regards voting for the Lib Dems, speaking for myself, I'd rather vote for the Green Party. Lib Dems, again I'm speaking for myself, seem to come up with policies simply to make some ground in public opinion polls when issues arouse the public's interest. I can't imagine them ruling the country and I hope the day never comes.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Please elaborate.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Fair enough. But at the end of the day, does the UN deserve to be placed upon this mighty pedestal?
Of course!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Fair enough. But at the end of the day, does the UN deserve to be placed upon this mighty pedestal? The first Gulf War is the one notable major issue is seems to have agreed on (at least that come to mind...). Yes it has a lot of members, but can't we just dismiss it as a talking shop? That may or may not be the case, I'm just suggesting it as a possibility.

Regards voting for the Lib Dems, speaking for myself, I'd rather vote for the Green Party. Lib Dems, again I'm speaking for myself, seem to come up with policies simply to make some ground in public opinion polls when issues arouse the public's interest. I can't imagine them ruling the country and I hope the day never comes.
u never know till u try - and as far as the UN is concerned - i dont think it has any teeth and shouldnt be placed on a 'mighty pedestal' - but what it should be respected for is that it never advocates war unless absolutely necessary - i abhor war - especially when there is tenuous justification
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
Of course!
Please do explain to me why! Objectively, why is it more than a talking shop designed to make small countries 'feel' they have a voice when the US and the EU give yet more subsidies to their own farmers stopping poorer countries from getting revenue from food exports?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Please do explain to me why! Objectively, why is it more than a talking shop designed to make small countries 'feel' they have a voice when the US and the EU give yet more subsidies to their own farmers stopping poorer countries from getting revenue from food exports?
ooh good point - the reason why i am a vegan
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The UN is built on the UN charter which is the basis of International Law, making it very important indeed.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In no way am i a deluded lefty - yet i take an interest in politics when our position as a country diplomatically is compromised by our Prime Minister - Bliar will survive this but the question is will we? Spying does indeed happen but when one spies on the UN Secretary General that is disrespectful and totally unethical - i also think that etiquette-wise it was a bad move because it shows that Bliar couldnt care a damn for the authority of the UN and that he will undermine it when it suits him
That's assuming Blair had people spying on the UN Secretary General in the first place. It's not exactly the most simple thing to do, the UN definetly have ways of stopping spying, it would't be possible to do it without being caught.

So I think Claire Short is just lying.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
u never know till u try - and as far as the UN is concerned - i dont think it has any teeth and shouldnt be placed on a 'mighty pedestal' - but what it should be respected for is that it never advocates war unless absolutely necessary - i abhor war - especially when there is tenuous justification
LOL I personally am a fully paid up member of the Conservative Party so I'd rather not try the Lib Dems, but thats beyond the point!

Yes the UN does deserve some respect. After all no other organisation exists to allow the world to meet in an open forum, and it is that for which I respect the UN.

Out of interest, where do you stand on the following wars regards whether they should or shouldn't have happened:

1st WW
2nd WW
Korea
Vietnam
Falkland
1st Gulf War
2nd Gulf War

Ta!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
The UN is built on the UN charter which is the basis of International Law, making it very important indeed.
agreed in principal
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hattori)
It's not exactly the most simple thing to do, the UN definetly have ways of stopping spying, it would't be possible to do it without being caught.
Although GCHQ and the Echelon network are widely regarded at being pretty handy when it comes to spying.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
LOL I personally am a fully paid up member of the Conservative Party so I'd rather not try the Lib Dems, but thats beyond the point!

Yes the UN does deserve some respect. After all no other organisation exists to allow the world to meet in an open forum, and it is that for which I respect the UN.

Out of interest, where do you stand on the following wars regards whether they should or shouldn't have happened:

1st WW
2nd WW
Korea
Vietnam
Falkland
1st Gulf War
2nd Gulf War

Ta!
if u wish to imply they were all down to the UN u are frightfully mistaken - UN didnt exist until after WWII - and Falklands was Thatcher's war - Vietnam was U.S. War - the Korean war was a backlash for Japs torturing our lot - and gulf wars were based on oil
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
agreed in principal
Thats what its like in practice.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But what is International Law when the world powers seem not to care about it? I don't want to discuss whether the Iraq war was legal or not - I'm not lawyer. Let's assume it was illegal as many have claimed. The US and the UK seemed not to care, which makes me wonder if International Law stands for anything anyway.

Following that argument on, and looking at your quote above, the UN appears to lose a lot of importance.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if u wish to imply they were all down to the UN u are frightfully mistaken - UN didnt exist until after WWII - and Falklands was Thatcher's war - Vietnam was U.S. War - the Korean war was a backlash for Japs torturing our lot - and gulf wars were based on oil
Falklands - They were invaded, and Britain has sovereignty over them - war was inevitable.

Vietnam - Defence of the free world.

Gulf Wars - Based on Iraq breaking International Law.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But what is International Law when the world powers seem not to care about it? I don't want to discuss whether the Iraq war was legal or not - I'm not lawyer. Let's assume it was illegal as many have claimed. The US and the UK seemed not to care, which makes me wonder if International Law stands for anything anyway.

Following that argument on, and looking at your quote above, the UN appears to lose a lot of importance.
You say that the US and UK didn't care, but why did they spend months attempting to convince the UN?

The UN is the most important organisation in relation to global security.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That is not what I was trying to imply. I have spent the last few weeks studying nothing but the UN here at uni, so I would hope to know at least when the UN was founded. My question was one for you, regards how just you felt the aforementioned wars were.

You appear to have cleverly described away five wars and millions of deaths using the following words; Thatcher, US, Japs and oil. I'll presume your grasp of the wars is greater than that and your opinion is a educated and balanced one, and in light of that assumption, do you feel they were all wrong?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1236)
79.59%
Leave (317)
20.41%

Watched Threads