Could someone please mark this English Response!!!!!!!! Watch

Stephanie8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How does Steinbeck use the character of Curley's wife in the novel as a whole to convey the ideas about America in the 1930's?
The novel is a microcosm, depicting a cross section of society which reflected it’s prejudices in this case women who had few rights. They were seen as inferior to men. Curley's wife was forced into loneliness and isolation; she had dreamed in hope of a better life often referred to at the time as ‘The American Dream’.

Central to Steinbeck’s novel is Curley’s Wife, Steinbeck uses her role on the ranch to portray the main themes and events. The lack of affection in her newly found marriage to Curley due to his personal insecurities, is the gate way to her search for companionship on the ranch as she is often seen trying to interact with the workers.
However, she is never accepted as some of the ranchers see her as a threat to their position, as George describes her as jailbait warning Lennie, ’Don’t you even.. leave her be’. She is shown as being dangerous, as jail bait is a girl who is below the age of consent with whom sexual intercourse can constitute statutory rape. Even though, George is described near the Salinas River, as being inexperienced with women due to his unique relationship with Lennie, he already is able to sum up someone who he has only briefly met, as someone who will linger them into trouble. This was purposefully done by Steinbeck to foreshadow Lennie’s involvement with Curley’s wife in the barn; this affects our view on Curley’s wife, as we see her as the obstacle in Lennie and George path on success with their dreams and because we want Lennie and George to achieve this American Dream, we view her as evil.
However, some ranchers see her as the exact opposite, as Carlson states of how a “women should be at home where she belongs.”, she is seen as feeble and weak as she is seen as incapable to do anything related to physical strength. Steinbeck use a male gaze to present the fragmented nature of society the general sexist views men had of women in the 1930’s. She is being excluded from a place of physical work is indicative on the collective attitude men in the 1930’s had towards all women, as they are seen as the homemakers, they weren’t expected to do work, as he refers to ‘women’ not woman, also the word ‘should’ is a directive this shows the authority men had over women. The fact that Carlson says this devalues the worth of women, because just like George he is just a rancher and yet is given that power to diminishes the importance of women, Steinbeck does this to convey the view men had of women from the each status on the hierarchy on the ranch which reflects society, in unison men from all classes had the same view of women in the 1930’s.
Curley’s wife represents the epitome of prejudice against women in the novella, Steinbeck does this to reflect the true ideas of society in America in the 1930’s because her identity is seen as incapability on the ranch, just like Crooks. Throughout the novel as similar to Crooks wife, Curley’s Wife is not named. This highlights her lack of identity on the ranch and how she is viewed as the property of her husband. Also the fact that she is 'Curely's wife' objectifies her, and implies that her identity and her importance are formed due to her marriage to Curley. As a result of her insecurities due to the male dominated society on the ranch, she tries to combat her loneliness and isolation by resorting to violence. Her vicious attacks on Crooks to getting him “strung up on a tree” and the attacks on Lennie due to his mental disability show how loneliness can not only change a person, but destroy them. This mirrors the actions of her husband as his insecurities with his physical appearance, is what sparked up the fight between him and Lennie. Steinbeck does this to show how loneliness is the recipe for demise. All of the emotions Curley’s Wife encounters come as a result of the loneliness she feels, and these clearly represent of what a terrifying character she is.

Like many of the characters in the novel, Curley’s Wife also has a dream. She narrates her dream to be “in the movies.”, whilst Lennie is stroking ‘her hair’. Steinbeck presents Curley’s wife narrating her dream to Lennie whilst he strokes her ‘soft hair’, as a way of diminishing the ideas of the American Dream, as this suggests the ending of Lennie and Curley’s wife in that scene as because George foreshadows their union as being bad as he refers to her as someone that can lead them into jail if associated with her, ‘jailbait’. It ties in with Steinbeck’s view of the American dream as being just a dream, as it is impossible to achieve by the ‘outsiders of the ranch’. Many women during the 1930’s had a similar dream similar to this as they thought about the excitement that would follow, although even in Steinbeck’s cruel world it is made clear dreams are only dreams and the shatter of hope is clearly inevitable even for a delicate person such as Curley’s Wife.

One way in which Steinbeck presents Curley’s Wife is through the use of irony. Curley’s Wife demands her spot in the limelight however all she does is cast shadows and get negative attention “sunshine in the doorway was cut off.” This suggest that she is powerful in the way her presence affects other characters as her presence eliminates goodness and even nature, ‘sunshine’. Steinbeck does this to foreshadow and hint at the unhappy ending of her. She is unaware that her presence brings pain and cast shadows so it is ironic that when she dies the light leaves her, “the sun streaks were high on the wall by now.” This again implies her negative effect on the fate of the people who interact with her as there was no hope for Lennie, as the sun is far away. This goes against the American traditional ideas ‘behind every successful man is a woman’

In all, Curley’s Wife is important throughout the novel as she increases the scope of many of the key events and themes which occur. Steinbeck uses her as a vehicle at time to portray the women during the 1930’s. It is made clear she is threat to George and Lennie’s dream however also a victim of sexism and loneliness. Steinbeck makes it clear that companionship is a vital part for human happiness.
Johnp1144
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow this is really good! Could u please help me? I have a similiar question to yours for English homework and I don't have much idea of what to write, hope someone marks and helps you with yours though
joecaverly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which exam board. Based in examples I've seen this looks like an easy a* but I couldn't give it a mark. Well done though, it's brilliant.
asiya1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Stephanie8)
How does Steinbeck use the character of Curley's wife in the novel as a whole to convey the ideas about America in the 1930's?
The novel is a microcosm, depicting a cross section of society which reflected it’s prejudices in this case women who had few rights. They were seen as inferior to men. Curley's wife was forced into loneliness and isolation; she had dreamed in hope of a better life often referred to at the time as ‘The American Dream’.

Central to Steinbeck’s novel is Curley’s Wife, Steinbeck uses her role on the ranch to portray the main themes and events. The lack of affection in her newly found marriage to Curley due to his personal insecurities, is the gate way to her search for companionship on the ranch as she is often seen trying to interact with the workers.
However, she is never accepted as some of the ranchers see her as a threat to their position, as George describes her as jailbait warning Lennie, ’Don’t you even.. leave her be’. She is shown as being dangerous, as jail bait is a girl who is below the age of consent with whom sexual intercourse can constitute statutory rape. Even though, George is described near the Salinas River, as being inexperienced with women due to his unique relationship with Lennie, he already is able to sum up someone who he has only briefly met, as someone who will linger them into trouble. This was purposefully done by Steinbeck to foreshadow Lennie’s involvement with Curley’s wife in the barn; this affects our view on Curley’s wife, as we see her as the obstacle in Lennie and George path on success with their dreams and because we want Lennie and George to achieve this American Dream, we view her as evil.
However, some ranchers see her as the exact opposite, as Carlson states of how a “women should be at home where she belongs.”, she is seen as feeble and weak as she is seen as incapable to do anything related to physical strength. Steinbeck use a male gaze to present the fragmented nature of society the general sexist views men had of women in the 1930’s. She is being excluded from a place of physical work is indicative on the collective attitude men in the 1930’s had towards all women, as they are seen as the homemakers, they weren’t expected to do work, as he refers to ‘women’ not woman, also the word ‘should’ is a directive this shows the authority men had over women. The fact that Carlson says this devalues the worth of women, because just like George he is just a rancher and yet is given that power to diminishes the importance of women, Steinbeck does this to convey the view men had of women from the each status on the hierarchy on the ranch which reflects society, in unison men from all classes had the same view of women in the 1930’s.
Curley’s wife represents the epitome of prejudice against women in the novella, Steinbeck does this to reflect the true ideas of society in America in the 1930’s because her identity is seen as incapability on the ranch, just like Crooks. Throughout the novel as similar to Crooks wife, Curley’s Wife is not named. This highlights her lack of identity on the ranch and how she is viewed as the property of her husband. Also the fact that she is 'Curely's wife' objectifies her, and implies that her identity and her importance are formed due to her marriage to Curley. As a result of her insecurities due to the male dominated society on the ranch, she tries to combat her loneliness and isolation by resorting to violence. Her vicious attacks on Crooks to getting him “strung up on a tree” and the attacks on Lennie due to his mental disability show how loneliness can not only change a person, but destroy them. This mirrors the actions of her husband as his insecurities with his physical appearance, is what sparked up the fight between him and Lennie. Steinbeck does this to show how loneliness is the recipe for demise. All of the emotions Curley’s Wife encounters come as a result of the loneliness she feels, and these clearly represent of what a terrifying character she is.

Like many of the characters in the novel, Curley’s Wife also has a dream. She narrates her dream to be “in the movies.”, whilst Lennie is stroking ‘her hair’. Steinbeck presents Curley’s wife narrating her dream to Lennie whilst he strokes her ‘soft hair’, as a way of diminishing the ideas of the American Dream, as this suggests the ending of Lennie and Curley’s wife in that scene as because George foreshadows their union as being bad as he refers to her as someone that can lead them into jail if associated with her, ‘jailbait’. It ties in with Steinbeck’s view of the American dream as being just a dream, as it is impossible to achieve by the ‘outsiders of the ranch’. Many women during the 1930’s had a similar dream similar to this as they thought about the excitement that would follow, although even in Steinbeck’s cruel world it is made clear dreams are only dreams and the shatter of hope is clearly inevitable even for a delicate person such as Curley’s Wife.

One way in which Steinbeck presents Curley’s Wife is through the use of irony. Curley’s Wife demands her spot in the limelight however all she does is cast shadows and get negative attention “sunshine in the doorway was cut off.” This suggest that she is powerful in the way her presence affects other characters as her presence eliminates goodness and even nature, ‘sunshine’. Steinbeck does this to foreshadow and hint at the unhappy ending of her. She is unaware that her presence brings pain and cast shadows so it is ironic that when she dies the light leaves her, “the sun streaks were high on the wall by now.” This again implies her negative effect on the fate of the people who interact with her as there was no hope for Lennie, as the sun is far away. This goes against the American traditional ideas ‘behind every successful man is a woman’

In all, Curley’s Wife is important throughout the novel as she increases the scope of many of the key events and themes which occur. Steinbeck uses her as a vehicle at time to portray the women during the 1930’s. It is made clear she is threat to George and Lennie’s dream however also a victim of sexism and loneliness. Steinbeck makes it clear that companionship is a vital part for human happiness.

can you please take down this post as all my students are copying from it

thank you very good by the way
Crazy_Gal162
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lool everyone copyong it it soo truu all ma mates copied it, but at first i thhought they did it thier sel but then see tht its online copied ahahaha i think u shud take it down becuz thy gettin all the credit frm ur work which its nt gud.
Be_The_Thunder
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
uhhh do you even english bro?
Python1100
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Be_The_Thunder)
uhhh do you even english bro?
GJ reviving the thread bro. lel
Aaminah15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From reading this essay, I can see that you have explored and analysed your points, and at the end of your paragraphs you have linked back to the question this shows that you have an understanding of the novella 'Of Mice and Men.' Furthermore, in your essay you have written about women and how they faced discrimination in the 1930's American society. Overall, I would grade this essay A/A*. Well Done
holly christmas
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by asiya1999)
can you please take down this post as all my students are copying from it

thank you very good by the way
no offence but they wouldn't need to copy from it if they felt their answers would be good enough i.e if u had taught them properly and they knew how to gain full marks and could achieve this without feeling the need to copy someone else's work. the post was to find out what mark it would obtain they didn't want to know if it was good or not. None of what i said was meant to cause any offence btw just letting u know that maybe there is a reason they are copying it (because they haven't been taught properly).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (23)
12.04%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (16)
8.38%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (43)
22.51%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (28)
14.66%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (24)
12.57%
How can I be the best version of myself? (57)
29.84%

Watched Threads