The Student Room Group

What is History AS and A2 like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
it depends what board you are studying. we're doing OCR and last year one half was germany which i really enjoyed and found relatively easy, the other half was edwardian england document paper which i am about to resit for the 3rd time :tongue: i find it reeally tough - it starts to not be about knowledge; more about the technique in which you write the essay. this year the document paper was coursework and my exam is civil rights in america, which is okay, i guess. personally im not a big history lover after it being my favourite subject at gcse - which i'd never taken it.

it could be helpful for medicine if you combine it with maths and chemistry etc
Reply 21
Original post by bronn
TERRRRRIBLE
I wanted to drop it as soon as I started it but I wasnt allowed, and now I have to sit a 90 minute exam tomorrow that I havent revised for.

is it the F963 paper?? edwardian england?
Reply 22
Original post by tsveta
is it the F963 paper?? edwardian england?

F364 Democracy and Dictatorship in Germany
A friend of mine has taken Biology, Chemistry, Theatre Studies and English Lit and is hoping to do medicine. I think you have to take Chemistry and one other science or maths. She is thinking about doing maths AS next year to help her application. I think history is well respected and if you enjoy it, go for it!

I took maths, biology and chemistry so it was nice to have a break and have more discussion based lessons. That said there is a ridiculous amount to learn and even more ridiculous exam where you have a to write 2 well structured essays with just enough own knowledge and analytical points and reach a conclusion. Whilst you're trying to remember which side Zinoviev and Kamenev were on. In 1h20. But I suppose that can be said for any essay based subject.
Take it if your good at writing essays; I know lots of people who have taken Science subjects that are required for Medicine (usually 2 of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography) and taken History as well. It's worth finding out which exam board your school is with and what the course content is on it.

For example, if your studying World War II and Hitler at the moment (a popular choice at GCSE) and your school continues this at AS or A2 you may want/not want to do it again.

It all comes down to your strengths: are you good at writing essays? Being analytical/evaluative? Or are you good at the more "practical" subjects -- are you much better at explaining, doing mathematical calculations? And arguably, most importantly, do you enjoy it?
Reply 25
Original post by Josh_Dey
I'm in year 10 and I was thinking of doing History for my A-Levels but I'm not sure on the content and difficulty, if anyone could give me a little insight that'd be really helpful.

And, will it be useful for Medicine at university?

Thanks.

Content for the one I did: Britain 1906-51; Life in Nazi Germany (AS)
Aspects of the International relations (mainly the Cold War) (A2); India under British rule (A2 Coursework)

As you can see, that is a farily varied course - there are also many different possible modules, depending on what your school offers.
I've enjoyed it consistently, especially the Cold War!
I wouldn't say it's that difficult if you're interested in it, you just have to be prepared to put a lot of hours into learning and remembering facts, and doing practice essays to get exam technique up.

In terms of medicine, in my school, there was one person who did History who has offers for medicine, and another two the same for Dentistry.
I don't think it will help you on the course, but it helps your essay skills, which is useful for the personal statement.
The people who did all science subjects with History enjoy it especially since it's a nice change.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
I had the same idea as you. I wanted to do medicine and am doing History A-Level. When doing work experience and going to uni open days no one took History seriously however once I explained how useful it is they saw it from my point of view. There is no doubt that History is respected but some medics can't understand it. You probably know that you have to do chemistry to do medicine and at least one other science A-Level (this includes maths) to A2 but there is no reason why your 3rd of 4th A2 could be History.

I really love history but it is hard and I would only suggest doing it if you are getting at least Bs in your GCSEs, preferable As.
Reply 27
Original post by siwelmail
Go for it. You better have 2 good teachers and 4~5 hours of lessons a week with them. And equal that with homework+reading otherwise you can't cope. Well that's what it's like for us, we're just pushed too much if that isn't the case for anyone else.

Welcome to A-level
Original post by JSHawkins
Welcome to A-level

I've finished my A levels (basically, got 4 A2 exams and 1 retake left)

Quick Reply