Exactly what do I need to self teach AS FM?

Watch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey,

im currently doing my year 12 as exams but may be re-doing year 12 as I overhauled myself with science based subjects.
Next year Im doing FM as I did well in my C1 and C2 and am tending towards maths as a favourite subjects. From now towards september i'd like to take the time to self teach some FM topics.

atm I have live maths and have used it to learn about j.
however are there any dumbass friendly books available to teach myself?
Also what modules do you have to take for a complete AS in fm?

cheers
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Last question: 3 modules including FP1
rocker9455
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing the whole A level, it depends on your tastes, having done a decent selection of the modules favouring pure maths, I've enjoyed FP1, FP2 and FP3 (although the latter 2 are hard going, no doubts about it, they're orders of magnitude more difficult than FP1 to master IMO) M1 and M2 were quite fun and easy, I've hated S1 and S2 in their own way but have also found them reasonably rewarding as the maths is so different from what I'm used to and it's really stretched me (I've struggled to gain similar proficiency in stats to the other modules I'm doing), they seem to need a more intuitive approach WRT probability etc whereas pure maths you can just understand derivations of formulae and use them, it entirely depends on how your brain works. DE, Differential equations is one of my favourite modules, I find dynamical systems interesting, it's mainly a formula based module just using standard results for solving problems.

For OCR MEI (the board I followed):
FP1 is required, then an additional 2 modules, either from AS or A2, e.g. FP1,S1,M1 is a popular choice, or you could do M2 instead of S1, or DE instead
I suggest looking at your exam board's specification and that will tell you exactly what is required.

As for resources, I'm a fiend for learning from the internet, I used a set of youtube videos to learn FP1 (I struggled with the material in class as I'm not very attentive around others) - These are excellent, and I thoroughly recommend them:
http://www.youtube.com/user/maths247

Wikibooks is incomplete but does have useful information:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Mathematics

Mathshelper has good review sheets I've found useful for reviewing major concepts:
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/alp.htm

That's about it, I mainly use past papers and the specification to work from after having read the textbook.

Good luck and have fun, FM has been my favourite subject choice!
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by rocker9455)
I'm doing the whole A level, it depends on your tastes, having done a decent selection of the modules favouring pure maths, I've enjoyed FP1, FP2 and FP3 (although the latter 2 are hard going, no doubts about it, they're orders of magnitude more difficult than FP1 to master IMO) M1 and M2 were quite fun and easy, I've hated S1 and S2 in their own way but have also found them reasonably rewarding as the maths is so different from what I'm used to and it's really stretched me (I've struggled to gain similar proficiency in stats to the other modules I'm doing), they seem to need a more intuitive approach WRT probability etc whereas pure maths you can just understand derivations of formulae and use them, it entirely depends on how your brain works. DE, Differential equations is one of my favourite modules, I find dynamical systems interesting, it's mainly a formula based module just using standard results for solving problems.

For OCR MEI (the board I followed):
FP1 is required, then an additional 2 modules, either from AS or A2, e.g. FP1,S1,M1 is a popular choice, or you could do M2 instead of S1, or DE instead
I suggest looking at your exam board's specification and that will tell you exactly what is required.

As for resources, I'm a fiend for learning from the internet, I used a set of youtube videos to learn FP1 (I struggled with the material in class as I'm not very attentive around others) - These are excellent, and I thoroughly recommend them:
http://www.youtube.com/user/maths247

Wikibooks is incomplete but does have useful information:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Mathematics

Mathshelper has good review sheets I've found useful for reviewing major concepts:
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/alp.htm

That's about it, I mainly use past papers and the specification to work from after having read the textbook.

Good luck and have fun, FM has been my favourite subject choice!
Sadly im on the MEI exam board aswell.
Do you make use of the official mei textbooks for learning or are you soley dependant on the use of maths 24/7?
like how did you learn your M1/M2/S1 modules etc.

Also what grades have you gotten so far?

Cheers
rocker9455
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi, I've been pretty much dependent on the MEI textbooks (I don't think the exam boards bad, quite a few people do, may I ask why? I'm curious) I don't like the stats books at all, they open the chapters with a made up newspaper article and then teach the concepts through a worked example. I much prefer learning concepts theoretically first and then applying them to situations the other way round. However they do have fantastic chapter summaries which summarise practically all the key points you need to learn, if you manage to read the chapter then understand the concepts and make sure you learn all the key points you can't go too far wrong. I also used the Integral website (companion to the MEI books) which has additional examples and has study outlines which I find useful, they essentially tell you to go read page 40-45 then do questions 1-8. I find it helps break the monotony of just trying to plough through a chapter.

How did I learn my modules:

M1 (self taught) - I'd already done physics in my AS year, I sat it this January, I flicked through the textbook and took note of all the end of chapter summary points assuring that I could understand and use them, if I couldn't I went back to the chapter and did some questions until I understood. I then drilled all the papers until I got 90%+

S1 & S2 - I've been learning these now, in class, I mostly just listen to my teacher and do exercises which is OK, but I find I learn better on my own. For the bits I haven't understood the first time I tend to google them and look them up on wikipedia or some other maths website until I get a clear idea of what they're about. I also like going into further depth as it makes it a little more understandable for me.

M2 - Sat in class, listened and didn't prepare using papers the usual way and only got 78% so I'm resitting this next week, I'll again, use all the papers and analyse what I got wrong in each wrong and discard any false assumptions I've made about mechanics which is what stung me previously I think.

FP1 - Mainly used maths 24/7 and khan academy until I understood the concepts (I found this module quite difficult as it's rather axiomatic in what it teaches, therefore you can't rely on (just) being able to extend your previous knowledge and applying it to the questions, there were quite a lot of new ideas to be learnt) I used bits of the textbook but I didn't like it all that much so I tried to avoid it as much as possible and then as per every exam drilled all the papers analysing what I did wrong.

Grade wise most >90% I've found past papers to be the key, I do all of them, marking them as I go and then taking note of any mistakes I make then redoing the questions I did wrong assuring myself I can now do them, then I do all the papers again and if I'll usually be getting ~90% after a few stupid mistakes here and there.

I've purposefully keep repeating the point about papers and looking at what you did wrong, mark papers very harshly and try and absorb as much of the mark scheme lingo as possible as you may otherwise write a response that isn't quite write and drop marks.
Last edited by RK; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.07%
Excited but a bit nervous (131)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.41%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed