Math12345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
1a) i) There are six ‘peaks’ between 7.5 and 18 minutes. (1)
ii) 2.5 minutes (1)
b) Supply oxygen (1), glucose (1), remove carbon dioxide (1) , lactic acid (1), to limit anaerobic respiration (1), to create energy for exercise (1). (Max 4)
2 a) To keep out oxygen (1) which would result in aerobic respiration, whereas biogas is produced best in anaerobic conditions (1).
ii) Carbon dioxide (1)
b) 0.62 (2)
ii) Adding fish fat, increases yield of biogas/methane (1). Better quality biogas, as higher proportion of methane (1).
c) It would be too expensive to buy the fish fat as he can’t fish himself 100km from the coast. Therefore, better quality biogas not an economic advantage (1).
3 a) Aerobic (1) respiration (1)
ii) So that all Fusarium has equal access to the minerals, resulting in even growth (1). Even control of temperature around the fermentor (1). (Max 1)
b) Would get tangled around paddles (1).
c) Chicken has more protein for making new muscle cells (1).
ii) Less fat/cholesterol, so less risk of circulatory problems (1). More dietary fibre, reduces risk of colon cancer (1).
4a) Higher concentration in plant roots than in soil, so absorption against the concentration gradient (1). Diffusion is along the concentration gradient (1).
ii) Active transport (1).
b) i) Larger surface area (1)
ii) Mitochondria site of respiration in a cell (1), so more mitochondria results in more respiration, increasing rate of active transport (1).
iii) Starch broken down to glucose when needed for respiration (1).
5 a) Urea, mineral ions (2)
b) All reabsorbed (1), first by diffusion (1), and the by active transport (1)
c) Kidney wants to reduce glucose levels so that they are healthy (1), so selective reabsorption means than not all glucose is reabsorbed (1).

6a) Increasing DAS concentration, decreases yield of alcohol (1), numerical evidence (1). DAS only results in less maltose being used (1), glucose and sucrose not affected (1).
b) Maltose too large, so insoluble (1)
c) Enzyme is a carbohydrase (1) which digests maltose into two molecules of glucose which can be used for respiration (1). DAS stops production of enzyme so maltose cannot be digested and used for respiration (1).
d) DAS reduces yield of alcohol, reducing profit (1). DAS means that most of the malt extract is not used, so killing DAS means manufacturer has to spend less on malt extract (1).
metaltron
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ii) 2.5 minutes (1)
b) Supply oxygen (1), glucose (1), remove carbon dioxide (1) , lactic acid (1), to limit anaerobic respiration (1), to create energy for exercise (1). (Max 4)
2 a) To keep out oxygen (1) which would result in aerobic respiration, whereas biogas is produced best in anaerobic conditions (1).
ii) Carbon dioxide (1)
b) 0.62 (2)
ii) Adding fish fat, increases yield of biogas/methane (1). Better quality biogas, as higher proportion of methane (1).
c) It would be too expensive to buy the fish fat as he can’t fish himself 100km from the coast. Therefore, better quality biogas not an economic advantage (1).
ii) So that all Fusarium has equal access to the minerals, resulting in even growth (1). Even control of temperature around the fermentor (1). (Max 1)
ii) Less fat/cholesterol, so less risk of circulatory problems (1). More dietary fibre, reduces risk of colon cancer (1).
4a) Higher concentration in plant roots than in soil, so absorption against the concentration gradient (1). Diffusion is along the concentration gradient (1).
ii) Mitochondria site of respiration in a cell (1), so more mitochondria results in more respiration, increasing rate of active transport (1).
c) Kidney wants to reduce glucose levels so that they are healthy (1), so selective reabsorption means than not all glucose is reabsorbed (1).

6a) Increasing DAS concentration, decreases yield of alcohol (1), numerical evidence (1). DAS only results in less maltose being used (1), glucose and sucrose not affected (1).
c) Enzyme is a carbohydrase (1) which digests maltose into two molecules of glucose which can be used for respiration (1). DAS stops production of enzyme so maltose cannot be digested and used for respiration (1).
d) DAS reduces yield of alcohol, reducing profit (1). DAS means that most of the malt extract is not used, so killing DAS means manufacturer has to spend less on malt extract (1).
Aarongreatbanks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i got this how did i do?

1a) i) The heart rate rises rapidly six times (to a high value) in the thirty minute period meaning they run six times
ii) 2.5 minutes (1)
b) The increaed heart rate increases the blood flow which means that there is more oxygen and glucose delivered to the muscles which is used for respiration. This increaes the rate of respiration so more energy is released and avaialble to the muscles and they use it to contract. The blood flow allow removes co2 and lactic acid, and limits anaerobic respiatio
2 a) The nitrogen is used by the microogranisms for growth, the lid prevents microogransism contaminating the culture and oxygen is removed because fermentation needed anaerobic conidtions
ii) Carbon dioxide (1)
b) 0.62 (2)
ii) Adding fish fat, increases yield of biogas/methane and there is a higher proportion of methane
c) It would be too expensive
3 a) Aerobic respiration
ii) So that the Fusarium has better access to the nutrient in the solution and to keep them in suspesion
b) The fusarium would get caught and stuck on the paddles
c) Chicken has more protein
ii) Less fat and less cholesterol
4a) Higher concentration in plant roots than in soil, so absorption against the concentration gradient and Diffusion is along the concentration gradient
ii) Active transport
b) i) Larger surface area
ii) Mitochondria site of respiration in a cell so more mitochondria results in more respiration, increasing rate of active transport
iii) The Starch is a carbohyrate store that can be broken down to glucose when needed for respiration
5 a) Urea, salt
b) The glucose is filtered out of the blood in the kidneys. The glucose then goes into the kidney tubule and all of it is reabsorbed by active transport so that none is left in the kindey tubule
c) There is too much glucose to be reabsorbed so not all of it is reabsorbed and the isn't enough energy avialable for all of the active tranpsort required

6a) Increasing DAS concentration, decreases the percentage of alcohol (1), numerical evidence. DAS only results in less maltose being used and glucose and sucrose not affected
b) Maltose too large, so can't fit through the cell membrane
c) Enzyme digests maltose into two molecules of glucose which can be absorbed and used for respiration and DAS stops production of enzyme so maltose cannot be digested and used for respiration
d) DAS reduces the percentage of alcohol produced
DAS means that most of the malt extract is not used, so materials are wasted or more has to be used
metaltron
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aarongreatbanks)
i got this how did i do?

1a) i) The heart rate rises rapidly six times (to a high value) in the thirty minute period meaning they run six times
ii) 2.5 minutes (1)
b) The increaed heart rate increases the blood flow which means that there is more oxygen and glucose delivered to the muscles which is used for respiration. This increaes the rate of respiration so more energy is released and avaialble to the muscles and they use it to contract. The blood flow allow removes co2 and lactic acid, and limits anaerobic respiatio
2 a) The nitrogen is used by the microogranisms for growth, the lid prevents microogransism contaminating the culture and oxygen is removed because fermentation needed anaerobic conidtions
ii) Carbon dioxide (1)
b) 0.62 (2)
ii) Adding fish fat, increases yield of biogas/methane and there is a higher proportion of methane
c) It would be too expensive
3 a) Aerobic respiration
ii) So that the Fusarium has better access to the nutrient in the solution and to keep them in suspesion
b) The fusarium would get caught and stuck on the paddles
c) Chicken has more protein
ii) Less fat and less cholesterol
4a) Higher concentration in plant roots than in soil, so absorption against the concentration gradient and Diffusion is along the concentration gradient
ii) Active transport
b) i) Larger surface area
ii) Mitochondria site of respiration in a cell so more mitochondria results in more respiration, increasing rate of active transport
iii) The Starch is a carbohyrate store that can be broken down to glucose when needed for respiration
5 a) Urea, salt
b) The glucose is filtered out of the blood in the kidneys. The glucose then goes into the kidney tubule and all of it is reabsorbed by active transport so that none is left in the kindey tubule
c) There is too much glucose to be reabsorbed so not all of it is reabsorbed and the isn't enough energy avialable for all of the active tranpsort required

6a) Increasing DAS concentration, decreases the percentage of alcohol (1), numerical evidence. DAS only results in less maltose being used and glucose and sucrose not affected
b) Maltose too large, so can't fit through the cell membrane
c) Enzyme digests maltose into two molecules of glucose which can be absorbed and used for respiration and DAS stops production of enzyme so maltose cannot be digested and used for respiration
d) DAS reduces the percentage of alcohol produced
DAS means that most of the malt extract is not used, so materials are wasted or more has to be used
I'd say 41. 1 mark lost on 2a) and 5b). No marks 5 c).
Aarongreatbanks
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by metaltron)
I'd say 41. 1 mark lost on 2a) and 5b). No marks 5 c).
What do you think the lowest i'd get is? What about the maltose one i didn't say carbohydrase
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Math12345)
ii) 2.5 minutes (1)
ii) Carbon dioxide (1)
b) 0.62 (2)

Thanks Just some things to point out:
1. (b) I wouldn't say "create" energy; I think you need to say "release" energy.

5. (b) Glucose is not reabsorbed by diffusion, I don't think. I think to get the three marks, you need to say: Glucose is filtered out of the blood (1 mark). The glucose is then completely reabsorbed (1 mark) by active transport (1 mark).

6. (c) I don't think respiration is relevant here (although I don't think any marks will be lost/gained for mentioning it)., but other than that, it is all correct

Still, thanks for the mark scheme, it was great
TheSnail
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hmmm this makes me feel okay..
3b) i put it would break the long strands..

yeh it looks like I did okay..

what are we predicting for grade boundaries?
metaltron
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by g.k.galloway)

34 for a* ?
ocelot92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
easy paper i suppose
momo26396
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For the fusarium, one could write:

The fibrous connections between the fusarium would be broken
momo26396
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
38 for 100 ums (prediction)
34 for a*
momo26396
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You could write to prevent sedimentaion too (for the air)

it was in one of the previous mark schemes
momo26396
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
6a asked for the fermentation of sugar- not the effect on the alcohol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheSnail
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by momo26396)
For the fusarium, one could write:

The fibrous connections between the fusarium would be broken
that's what I put
Jack_Smith
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by g.k.galloway)

i put the same for 3b and i think the grade boundaries will be average (for e.g. 34 for an A*) because the paper wasn't that bad
emmaved
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what do you think the grade boundary will be for an a? I need 83 ums to get an a* overall?
momo26396
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Probs got 40/45 yeyey
momo26396
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
nitrogen is not used for growth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this mark scheme is kinda wrong- it is nitrates that help!!!!!!!!!!!!
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by momo26396)
nitrogen is not used for growth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this mark scheme is kinda wrong- it is nitrates that help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nitrates are not the same as nitrogen.
TheSnail
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jack_Smith)
i put the same for 3b and i think the grade boundaries will be average (for e.g. 34 for an A*) because the paper wasn't that bad
Cool!
Just what I was thinking
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads