English Literature AQA POETRY; Relationships clust predicted questions 24nd May 2012 Watch

liam95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LauraWainwright707)
can someone please explain to his coymistress to me?
thankyou so much!
'To His Coy Mistress' is basically a witty attempt to persuade the persona's mistress, which at the time the poem was written simply meant a female friend, to engage in a sexual relationship with him. The poem is written as a syllogistic argument (If..., Then..., But..., Therefore...,), the main idea being that if time was unlimited the persona wouldn't mind having a long, romantic relationship that takes a while to instigate (the first stanza), but because time is limited (the second stanza) they should enjoy their youth and the time they have together and make the most of it (the third stanza).

This poem ties in really well with 'Hour' and 'Sonnet 116' because it concerns love's relationship with time. It also sort of fits with 'In Paris with You' because of the nature if the persona's desire (ie. sexual).

A good way of answering would be to look at some of the numerous metaphors Marvell uses, how they are significant and how they link to the structure of his argument and his ultimate objective in the poem.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
goggly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
this seems like a stupid question, and i'm a bit confused, but any poem could show up right? like even if they've asked it before they could ask it again?
obviously from the relationship cluster
letsbehonest
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You really don't need to study that much for the unseen. If you have some basic understanding and can point out a few techniques and chat a load of crap about them then you're sorted. Don't waffle. Get straight into the point. Ditch PEE paragraphs. Do that in one sentence and focus more on the analysis part - pin pointing one specific word.
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You do get a choice of 2 questions so there will potentially only be one you really hate. For me, although there is a lot to say, I wouldn't want Ghazal. Brothers would be ideal and I may choose it as the comparison because we've done it TO DEATH
letsbehonest
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by goggly)
this seems like a stupid question, and i'm a bit confused, but any poem could show up right? like even if they've asked it before they could ask it again?
Yeah but its kind of unlikely. You get a choice, so if you know 2 or 3 poems inside out it doesn't really matter too much. You don't have to talk equally about both of the poems.
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by goggly)
obviously from the relationship cluster
Yes it could.
goggly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thanks guys
liam95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by _soph1)
Which part of the paper were these poems in??

The comparison part under relationships, question 7 & 8
err... :/

sm3lly2ooo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I hope its okay, im more scared about unseen :O :O :O :O
IsabelAmy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Youtube 'mr bruff' is so much help for the relationship cluster
sm3lly2ooo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by letsbehonest)
I done it in Jan and I got a question on feelings to do with harmonium and I compared it with Praise song.

The unseen was utter crap. I said it was about procrastination LOL when it was actually about taking a break and relaxing -.- I kept on referring to the poet as the wrong gender :|

I almost got full UMS thanks to this amazing resource!
Attached.
Thankyouu!!
kashagupta
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a feeling it's going to be Sonnet 116! I don't know why I feel so certain :') awkward if it doesn't come up now...

kashagupta
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IsabelAmy)
Oh yeah, definitely! His own videos are amazing, not sure about the student analyses though :')

ie1996
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kashagupta)
I have a feeling it's going to be Sonnet 116! I don't know why I feel so certain :') awkward if it doesn't come up now...

oh my god, me and my friends have the exact same feeling too! i really hope it bloddy well be because this is literally the only poem i know, im ****ed if its ghazal or his coy mistrss!
Mill13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ginge:))
I wanted it to be manhunt so badly! Can someone send me some starting points on how to analyse Sonnet 116? Because i find it really hard to do anything with
I know manhunt, nettles, quickdraw and ghazal...
just to let you guys know, Hour, Harmonium and Sonnet 116 - if they appear - will only appear in the higher tier...so there's a high likelihood that one of them will come up.
how did everyone find the lit paper today? anyone do TKAM and/or the Crucible, the questions were horrible!
Sonnet 116 is one of the few I actually know
To get high marks, you're supposed to analyse language and imagery so, for example,
"It is the star to every wandering bark" is referring to the idea that love is like the North Star guiding a lost ship- this suggest love is constant, like a star, and can be used for guidance in times of difficulty- it offers security. You could look at it as a star is always present- during the night it is evident whereas during day you can't see it although we know it is still there- similarly, love could be seen as having a greater presence at times but even when it is not particularly evident, it is always there and consistent, whether it is fully noticeable or not. Or you could liken the lost ship to a lost soul without love, depending on which way you want to interpret it
A few more images/language you could analyse: "true minds", "ever-fixed mark", Love's not Time's fool", "Bears it out even to the edge of doom" etc

You could analyse the structure-e.g. the Sonnet is more objective and impersonal than, say, Sonnet 63, but is still an attempt to define love. Shakespeare does this through presenting his argument in lines 1-4, then using an extended metaphor in lines 5-8 to illustrate to the reader his argument and emphasise the idea that love doesn't alter, then comes the idea in lines 9-12 that love will transcend death and defeat time itself followed by the ending couplet where a conceit is offered to the reader to highlight how confident Shakespeare is of his argument

I'm sure there's lots more you could add!

(I did the lit paper- thought TKAM questions were bad too!)
ie1996
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys, im sure most of you have done the to kill a mocking bird exam today and inspector calls, i did this last year early cos our school made us as it was mandatory. i got an A with ums mark of 66/80. Dont threat any of you, i came out thinking oh my god i did so **** but its gcse, there not expecting something incredible.
priya8D
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IsabelAmy)
I know right! I only discovered his channel yesterday...wish I'd known of it sooner
-_- His alternative viewpoints are really thought provoking
priya8D
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks!
kashagupta
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ie1996)
Hey guys, im sure most of you have done the to kill a mocking bird exam today and inspector calls, i did this last year early cos our school made us as it was mandatory. i got an A with ums mark of 66/80. Dont threat any of you, i came out thinking oh my god i did so **** but its gcse, there not expecting something incredible.
Yeah I got the same! That means I can only really afford to lose 4 marks in total in Thursday's exam paper if I want an a* overall, which sucks!

Jasmine7239
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The question paper for the unit is divided into two sections. Section A is based on the study of poems
from the AQA Anthology Moon on the Tides, divided into four thematic clusters of 15 poems:
Relationships, Conflict, Place, Characters and Voice. Candidates will be expected to answer a
question about one of the poems (named), and then compare it with another poem from the cluster
(unnamed).
If the following poems are named they will only be named in Higher Tier Questions:
Character and Voice: Medusa, Les Grands Seigneurs, Casehistory: Alison (head injury)
Place: The Blackbird of Glanmore, Crossing the Loch, Extract from The Prelude
Conflict: Belfast Confetti, The Yellow Palm, next to of course god America i
Relationships: Hour, Harmonium, Sonnet 116
If the following poems are named they will only be named in Foundation Tier questions:
Character and Voice: Brendon Gallacher, Give, The Ruined Maid
Place: A Vision, Price We Pay for the Sun, Spellbound
Conflict: Flag, The Right Word, The Falling Leaves
Relationships: In Paris with you, Brothers, Sister Maude
Please note that other poems in the clusters could be named but they could appear in questions on
either tier.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (18)
12.08%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (11)
7.38%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (35)
23.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (22)
14.77%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (16)
10.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (47)
31.54%

Watched Threads