The Student Room Group

english literature exam tomorrow :[ need help

Guys,

I just wanted to know if the question for of mice and men or an inspector calls was on a character or even a theme, how would is structure my essay? I really need help with this please and also what kind of information I would write in the introduction.

Any help you guys give me is massively appreciated! My english literature exam is tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
For theme, I'd probably pick three characters and write a paragraph on each of them. Then I'd do the opposite for a character question, so I'd write about three different themes. For example if you have a question on Lennie (Of Mice and Men), I might write about loneliness, friendship and the American dream. If you get a question on responsibility (An Inspector Calls), I'd maybe write about Inspector Goole, Mr Birling and Sheila.

As for the introduction, I'd just do a brief overview of your essay. So if you're writing an essay on theme, briefly discuss what main points you'll be writing throughout your answer.
Hope this helps, good luck :smile:
Reply 2
for the IGCSE EDEXCEL board, will we get an extract of the text?
Reply 3
What exam board are you on? How long do you have in the exam? How many sections are there?

Literature - Of Mice and Men

REMEMBER FSL (FORM STRUCTURE LANGUAGE)

Intro
- Comment on:
- The theme - it's impact
- The character - their position on the ranch
- Mention that it's a novella
- Give a quick over view of the theme/character in the entire novella

1st Paragraph (structure)
- How the theme progresses throughout the novella, give examples
- How the character changes/develops in the novella
- What do they symbolise?
- What is their role?

2nd Paragraph (language)
- Language/choice of words
- Imagery descriptions
- Language techniques
- Appearence
- How their viewed by other characters

Try to find what my teacher calls a "nugget", something that will really make your exam paper stand out from the hundreds of others they probably have to mark.

Remember to use PEE - Point, Evidence, Explanation.
- Make a point, back it up with a quote, then explain what the quote shows in more detail.

Hope this was of some help!!
Reply 4
Original post by Zoelingua
What exam board are you on? How long do you have in the exam? How many sections are there?

Literature - Of Mice and Men

REMEMBER FSL (FORM STRUCTURE LANGUAGE)

Intro
- Comment on:
- The theme - it's impact
- The character - their position on the ranch
- Mention that it's a novella
- Give a quick over view of the theme/character in the entire novella

1st Paragraph (structure)
- How the theme progresses throughout the novella, give examples
- How the character changes/develops in the novella
- What do they symbolise?
- What is their role?

2nd Paragraph (language)
- Language/choice of words
- Imagery descriptions
- Language techniques
- Appearence
- How their viewed by other characters

Try to find what my teacher calls a "nugget", something that will really make your exam paper stand out from the hundreds of others they probably have to mark.

Remember to use PEE - Point, Evidence, Explanation.
- Make a point, back it up with a quote, then explain what the quote shows in more detail.

Hope this was of some help!!

I'm doing To Kill a Mockingbird with the WJEC board and i just wanted to know if you have any clue with how to answer "show how Harper Lee creates mood and atmosphere" questions. Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Jack_Smith
I'm doing To Kill a Mockingbird with the WJEC board and i just wanted to know if you have any clue with how to answer "show how Harper Lee creates mood and atmosphere" questions. Thanks :smile:

I'm not on that exam board and I don't do that book - I really wish I could be of more help! Try looking around on here for some tips...
Reply 6
anyone that has the January 2012 paper? emergency :/
Reply 7
please anyone having the january paper 2012 :/
Original post by Mobility
for the IGCSE EDEXCEL board, will we get an extract of the text?

No, you don't get given an extract. You just get given two essay titles and you have to choose one to do. Good luck :smile: I'm doing it tomorrow too.
Reply 9
I'm doing To Kill a Mocking Bird and The Crucible with AQA.

The way the exam question is set out is like:

Part B (To Kill a Mocking Bird):
2 questions
First question based around extract given
Second question based on a particular theme which may in some way be related to the first question

Part B (The Crucible)
2 questions to choose from (do one only)
One question on theme
One question on a certain character

How to set out paragraphs:
P - Point
E - Evidence (quote)
A - Analysis (comment on use of language and its effect)
Reply 10
Also, forgot to mention, how would i lay it out since the question on of mice and men is on a little extract. AQA Board
wouldn't that not be answering the question though. I'm a little confused, why would i write about characters for a themes question and via versa
Original post by NorthernNarwhal
wouldn't that not be answering the question though. I'm a little confused, why would i write about characters for a themes question and via versa

man I hope see this I literally just made an account to answer u lmao

You discuss characters in theme questions as themes exist through use of the characters. Eg. The theme of loneliness is prominent within the novel BECAUSE the characters of Crooks, Curley's Wife, etc. are isolated and therefore show how the conditions of 1930's America left people totally alone.

Example Question: "How is the theme of loneliness shown in Of Mice and Men?"
(Extremely short) example answer: The theme of loneliness is displayed throughout Steinbeck's novella 'Of Mice and Men' through sharing with the reader the individual relationships each character has, and through some of the characters being marginalized, meaning that they are outside what is considered normality and cut off because of it. In the novella, Candy refers to Carlson as a stranger following the death of his dog; "I shouldn't have let no stranger shoot my dog". Despite Candy and Carlson coexisting at the ranch, Candy still regards the other man as a stranger, showing that even when together the men of 1930s America were alone and did not allow themselves to be known by others. This quote evidences how it became commonplace for men not to form relationships with one another, due to the nature of the conditions they were living in putting any forged relationships a risk of being broken due to men having to constantly move around in search of work.

You can see how I linked a character to a theme. For character questions, do the opposite. Discuss a character and then talk about which themes tie in with them.

Curley's Wife: Loneliness, Prejudice, Sexism, Death, Broken Dreams
Lennie: Friendship, Death, The American Dream
Carlson: Brutality of ranch life, Death
Curley: Power, Loneliness, Broken Dreams, Brutality of ranch life
George: Friendship, Loneliness, The American Dream
Crooks: Loneliness, Prejudice, Racism
Slim: The American Dream, Power

Hope you see this, best of luck to you on the Lit exam tomorrow!
Reply 13
I definitely suggest you give alternative viewpoints. E.g however, this could also mean... or, this could be interpreted as... Character's are not one dimensional but are multi-faceted. Make sure you explore their different personas or other interpretations. I heard that if you at least offer alternative viewpoints you are guaranteed a B. This was one of the techniques I utilised during my GCSE exams. I had full marks on my English Literature unit 2 (WJEC).

Quick Reply

Latest