The Student Room Group

Parents have split up just before my A2 exams

They're living together still, but there was a massive argument when I was studying at home today and it's absolutely certain that they're going to break up.

I'm finding it really difficult to concentrate at the moment and was wondering whether anyone had any advice? I really want to do well in my A-levels but feel really sad :frown:
Reply 1
Same :frown:
Reply 2
Aww I really feel sorry for you, it's come at such a bad time! Maybe you could try speaking to either your mum or dad individually and tell them how you're feeling?
Reply 3
Original post by Soph(:
Aww I really feel sorry for you, it's come at such a bad time! Maybe you could try speaking to either your mum or dad individually and tell them how you're feeling?

Trouble is that they're going through so much at the moment and I really don't want to bother them - they had the 'breaking up argument' right in front of me anyway, so it's not as if they seem to care much about hurting my feelings. I'm not saying they're bad parents; they're just really wrapped up in their own worlds at the moment (understandably).

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Hey I'm really sorry to hear that. I understand it's a really tough thing to go through but I promise you'll get through it even if it's horrible now. I'd stay out of any confrontation that may occur, just let your parents sort everything out by themselves.

In the meantime, talk to someone at school about it (head of year maybe?), because you may be able to get some sort of special consideration if you feel like this is affecting your performance in exams.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Trouble is that they're going through so much at the moment and I really don't want to bother them - they had the 'breaking up argument' right in front of me anyway, so it's not as if they seem to care much about hurting my feelings. I'm not saying they're bad parents; they're just really wrapped up in their own worlds at the moment (understandably).

Thank you :smile:

Yeah that's understable, maybe you could try working at the library?
Reply 6
Original post by aimee810
Hey I'm really sorry to hear that. I understand it's a really tough thing to go through but I promise you'll get through it even if it's horrible now. I'd stay out of any confrontation that may occur, just let your parents sort everything out by themselves.

In the meantime, talk to someone at school about it (head of year maybe?), because you may be able to get some sort of special consideration if you feel like this is affecting your performance in exams.

The thing is that the school has known about it for ages, and they also know that I've had depression for about a year now. No mention has been made at all about getting special consideration and it'd be so embarrassing to ask them, because I do get the general feeling from them that I should just 'move on and get on with it.' They're supportive, but only to an extent. Seeing as I also want to reapply to university this year, everything seems that much harder and I think I'd feel bad if I DID ask for special consideration, even though I do feel I've been distracted by a range of factors. Although I am receiving counselling, it does feel like my school and friends don't understand/care - for instance, I keep getting told to 'cheer up' by some of my best friends, which hurts. Another said I should 'think I don't have anything wrong and then I won't,' but it doesn't work like that! Thanks for the advice, though, I really appreciate it.
Reply 7
The thing is that the school has known about it for ages, and they also know that I've had depression for about a year now. No mention has been made at all about getting special consideration and it'd be so embarrassing to ask them, because I do get the general feeling from them that I should just 'move on and get on with it.' They're supportive, but only to an extent. Seeing as I also want to reapply to university this year, everything seems that much harder and I think I'd feel bad if I DID ask for special consideration, even though I do feel I've been distracted by a range of factors. Although I am receiving counselling, it does feel like my school and friends don't understand/care - for instance, I keep getting told to 'cheer up' by some of my best friends, which hurts. Another said I should 'think I don't have anything wrong and then I won't,' but it doesn't work like that! Thanks for the advice, though, I really appreciate it.

Oh that's such a shame about the school. Do they have a special consideration form thing you can fill out and send to the exam board without having to go talk to someone about what's wrong? That's what they did for us. Honestly, if you feel like this is making an impact on your studies, you have a good case for getting a few extra marks. I know people who applied special considerations for problems much less than depression so don't feel bad doing it!

I totally get the whole 'cheer up' thing. It's frustrating, because how is being told that going to cheer you up right? Just remember that friends probably just don't know what to say so just say anything without thinking. I doubt its that they don't care, they probably just don't understand.

I hope you get through your exams alright, try not to let yourself get too stressed out and take time out to relax :smile:

OP i'm going through this myself, although my parents broke up in A1 (two years ago, the stress meant I had to repeat AS), certain events between the two of them that I cannot go into here meant that I have become depressed and diagnosed with anxiety disorder.
All you can do it talk to your parents, explain how you feel and how this is affecting you, and even if they do split up they should be amicable about it.

About special consideration, you won't be offered it, you have to ask for it (which is why your school won't have done anything about it.)
You'll need a letter from one of your parents explaining the situation, and if you have depression you will also need a letter from your doctor confirming this.
Reply 9
OP i'm going through this myself, although my parents broke up in A1 (two years ago, the stress meant I had to repeat AS), certain events between the two of them that I cannot go into here meant that I have become depressed and diagnosed with anxiety disorder.
All you can do it talk to your parents, explain how you feel and how this is affecting you, and even if they do split up they should be amicable about it.

About special consideration, you won't be offered it, you have to ask for it (which is why your school won't have done anything about it.)
You'll need a letter from one of your parents explaining the situation, and if you have depression you will also need a letter from your doctor confirming this.

Thank you for the tip. Gah, life is so annoying.
Reply 10
I'm in the exact same position, my parents are still living together in the same household and are splitting right before I am about to take my GCSEs.
It creates tension it really does! However this is an important time, you're allowed to be selfish. Focus on your education most definetly. If you need a quiet space there's always libraries and even in the summer I find parks extremely peaceful.
I hope it works out for you, if you tell your parents the arguments deter you from working, they'll hopefully listen X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending