hassantahir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hey, im doing my literature 1 for AQA tomorrow... I'm doing OMAM and AIC...I was wondering what the lighting at the start of the play could suggest..."The lighting should be pink and intimate until the INSPECTOR arrives and then it should be brighter and harder." My teacher has gone through it but I don't remember...and if you have any tips please share And could someone give me a random valid structure comment on AIC just as an example thanks....
DonnyPaxton
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At the start of the play the lighting should be brighter and more cheerful, to represent a happy and united family looking forward to their future achievements together.

Upon the inspectors arrival the lighting changes, this resembles a change in mood, things are not quite as they seem and we know that something is about to happen and not for the good.
Imi_sole
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"pink" could be a reference to the idiom, through rose coloured glasses, therefore suggesting how the audience sees the Birlings at the beginning of the play is and overly positive and not quite realistic view of their family.
feministy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Brighter=harsh reality blah blah
yo kids
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yo kids
walnut777
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i also have a question regarding this: if the inspector is a figure of reality and informs the Birling family of the real society, how does the pink lighting shine harder and brighter. why is the rose coloured glasses theme emphasized?
student740
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because even if he is a figment of their imagination, he is still making them see the real side of each other and is making them let go of the superiority the older generation think they hold and see that they are really just equal to each everyone else
Finn324
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It shows the divide in classes by Sheila being upper-middle class and doesn't have to deal with any conflict from living in lower class Edwardian society, but also suffers no criticism for being an elitist, consequently she is protected by a rose tinted bubble.
cbushell
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
pink and intimate shows optimism and gives an unrealistic view of the Birlings and once the inspector arrives, it is brighter and harder and light has connotations of truth so the inspector is exposing the mistakes they have made and their abuse of power. welcome mate
Ja_coll
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
lanzonthemoon
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
it suggests a mood change. like everyone has gone from being happy and loud too quiet and cautious. also what page is that on in the book?
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by lanzonthemoon)
it suggests a mood change. like everyone has gone from being happy and loud too quiet and cautious. also what page is that on in the book?
It’s before the play actually starts, in the introduction/setting the scene bit I think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (170)
61.37%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
3.97%
No- I want it (75)
27.08%
No- I don't want it (21)