This discussion is closed.
winorloose
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Should we be paying £100+ for a pair of jeans just because it has a name on it?

Is the difference in quality sufficient to justify the price?

Are there exceptions such as well-made suits or dresses?

Any thoughts welcome
_EMMA_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i think that sometimes the quality of clothes can be the same wheter or not it is expensive or cheap. high price does not automatically means high quality and low price low quality.

but at the same time i think that the clothes have better quality from Levis compared to Hennes and Maurits. in my experience HM clothes are easily torn.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I've found that all of the clothes that I've paid quite a lot for still look as nice now as they did when I bought them and all the cheaper stuff I buy gets chucked within a year of buying it.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, to a point the more you pay, the better quality, but it stopps when you get to a certain point (dependent on the type of clothing it is).

My jeans cost about £5, my top £3, and my shirt £10. And they're all good quality.
Percy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Above a certain price i can't see there being much difference. But i think thre is a difference in quality between cheap and expensive ones.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by winorloose)

Any thoughts welcome
I like my suits.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by winorloose)

Any thoughts welcome
There is always choice though, the market will meet the demand that is available.
If people want luxurious/designer items, then they'll be made.
Percy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
I like my suits.
Where do you get them? Do you wear them going out for a pint of milk?
Percy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How many people on here actually wear designer gear?
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
price should be relavant to quality of the fabric used the design techniques involved and the quality of the pay/working practises of the manufacturer to its workers. designer clothes do not (normally) fufil that in my opinion.

tradenames are important however. like a sign of quality but however that has been warped so that names are cooler than the clothes themselves. so something "cool" isnt neccasarily well designed/made/made ethically
winorloose
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by bono)
There is always choice though, the market will meet the demand that is available.
If people want luxurious/designer items, then they'll be made.
Thats true. WHat I'm talking about is the excessive focues/prestige given to a Diesel T-shirt for example. The difference between that and any other T-shirt is likely to be so small as to be insignificant, and yet they cost £30! Whats more, the social prestige due to the owners of these items can be sickening.

With some things you get what you pay for (sunglasses). For these it can be important to have good quality, though expensive goods.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Percy)
Well, I have some clothing that is designer gear, but the rest is just average stuff.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so long as the clothes feel comfortable and look reletiveloy ok, then I don't see the point in spending hundreds of pounds extra just becuase it is made by a particular firm.
r316
Report 17 years ago
A while ago it was exposed that there is up to a 800% mark up in designer clothes. So a suit may cost £80 to make, but will sell for £800. Perhaps the difference in quality then is not so much a reason for the prices; more the label.
Mystic
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Percy)
I don't really, because most clothes I buy are good quality but at lower prices. Personally I don't buy many clothes which are over £30......
theycallmemrpig
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
now i have suits at both ends of the spectrum,

i have a ciro citterio suit costing 95 quid, and i have a hugo boss suit costing just shy of 400 quid,

to me there is no contest between the look, cut, and quality of the material - the hugo boss one kicks some serious ass !!!!!
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theycallmemrpig)

i have a ciro citterio suit costing 95 quid, and i have a hugo boss suit costing just shy of 400 quid,

to me there is no contest between the look, cut, and quality of the material - the hugo boss one kicks some serious ass !!!!!
prob true. but for normal day wear?
Percy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
prob true. but for normal day wear?
bit of both.
theycallmemrpig
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i agree for normal day wear, designer clothes arent really that necessary, i mean as long as cloths look good, i dont really care where they are from.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by theycallmemrpig)

Agreed. I mean once I compared the material used for my old school pants and those of my suit, no contest, the school pants were obviously inferior.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads