Turn on thread page Beta

Designer Clothes watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't spend more than £50 on an item of clothing, more on shoes though cause you have to really.

edit:
    i do have a couple of marcello shirts that my cousin bought on business in milan and they never fitted him so he gave them to me. over £100 each and while they do seem better quality than ones i have from next, i dont think they extra cost is worth it

if you have the money, i guess why not ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Agreed. I mean once I compared the material used for my old school pants and those of my suit, no contest, the school pants were obviously inferior.
    how much did they cost?

ReputationRep:
    I like designer clothes just because I think they're better quality and last a lot longer. But I'll only pay a lot for things that are intended to last a long time- i.e. a coat, dress, shoes. I don't bother with designer labels for everyday wear like t-shirts and jeans though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    Should we be paying £100+ for a pair of jeans just because it has a name on it?

Is the difference in quality sufficient to justify the price?

Are there exceptions such as well-made suits or dresses?

Any thoughts welcome
    if you're getting better quality and a better cut by paying more then it makes some sense but to be honest jeans out of topshop/miss selfridge etc are perferctly good quality so if they fit nicely why not wear them? Designer names are often just a big con to get the little people to spend more money. They tap into your insecurities so why bother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    i think that sometimes the quality of clothes can be the same wheter or not it is expensive or cheap. high price does not automatically means high quality and low price low quality.

but at the same time i think that the clothes have better quality from Levis compared to Hennes and Maurits. in my experience HM clothes are easily torn.
    yeah i totally agree h and m are terrible quality and their shop looks like a huge jumble sale x

ReputationRep:
    it depends. like i have seen a t-shirt in moist, its £29.99, but the thing is, the front has a picture of what loks like macy gray, but its silk-screen printed with just one colour, white, its a bout the size of a large palm and is printed in visible dots, like andy warhole style prints.

i don't think the t-shirt deserves to be £30. i could buy the same t-shirt (blank) from high street ken at about £5. i could easily make the screen at skool and print it. ad if screen is too expensive to make at home, a lino print will do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    it depends. like i have seen a t-shirt in moist, its £29.99, but the thing is, the front has a picture of what loks like macy gray, but its silk-screen printed with just one colour, white, its a bout the size of a large palm and is printed in visible dots, like andy warhole style prints.

i don't think the t-shirt deserves to be £30. i could buy the same t-shirt (blank) from high street ken at about £5. i could easily make the screen at skool and print it. ad if screen is too expensive to make at home, a lino print will do just fine.
    I smell a plan for a little earner brewing .....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percy)
    How many people on here actually wear designer gear?
    Well, all the clothes I buy could be called "designer clothes" (although it's not as though Asda George isn't designed by someone!). I don't buy expensive clothes because of the label, but because they look great. Admittedly, on the whole, the quality is just as good as far cheaper stuff. One could argue that it's all materialistic rubbish - that it's all just a show of wealth. Perhaps this is true, but I know I don't conciously buy Prada/Hermes/Versace/Cavalli/Etc.. because it screams "hey, I'm wealthy" but simply because I love the style and fit. And, to be honest, I wouldn't really know where to look to find non-designer gear. If I need a pair of baggy trousers just for lazing about in, I would go to Diesel simply because its convenient-- I'm not sure where I could get them from for any cheaper (perhaps Oxfam?).

ReputationRep:
    And, to be honest, I wouldn't really know where to look to find non-designer gear. If I need a pair of baggy trousers just for lazing about in, I would go to Diesel simply because its convenient-- I'm not sure where I could get them from for any cheaper (perhaps Oxfam?).
    erm, you see there's this place, right, and its called a HIGH STREET, its were all us commoners go to squander our hard earned wages on our glad rags. Its basically a long bit of pavement with shops on either side, there'll usually be someone frying stinking rat-burgers in the middle of it and some local chavs eyeing up your rolex for 'alf-inching' but don't let this put you off. Word of warning though: there's no valet parking so you'll have to get your driver to wait in this thing called a CAR PARK. You can find out about your nearest high street from your local tourist board... or if you can't be arsed, get Jeeves to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Okay ... on Winchester's high street I'm fairly sure all the clothes shops only sell designer clothes. It's no good telling me the "High Street" ... recommend some specific shops And I don't need to be patronised. I know exactly what a high street is, I suppose I'm surrounded by them in London - but i'm still not sure where to get non-designer clothes. I suspect you think I'm taking the piss, but i'm not - don't mock me for that

ReputationRep:
    from an economical point of view, if the demand is there (which it is) then why not fix the price at its most profitable?

ReputationRep:
    i dont really see the point on spending a lot of money on clothes rite now...only in school so whats the point...when ya older there'll be more point...all my stuff's high street
    but...saying that, i wud spend a fair bit on quality makeup, bags, watches....
    makeup has 2 be good coz i wouldnt put cheap tat on my face and get it wrecked...
    mind u...i no sum woman who does buying for shops like Pilot and Miss Selfridge and they buy theyre material etc from same places as Diesel and like Firetrap, Miss Sixty...but they can charge more...its the name ur paying for pure n simple...

ReputationRep:
    I have designer gear, but not jeans. I love my jeans store too much for that. But I have Louis Vuitton bags a Collette Dinnigan dress, Lisa Ho sundress, a whole stack of stuff by Wayne Cooper. An Akira Isogowa top, some Prada singlets, you know stuff like that. I love it though.

The reason is that I only buy designer stuff which is unique, and usually especially in the case of Wayne Cooper, I just love like, the fabrics used you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    Okay ... on Winchester's high street I'm fairly sure all the clothes shops only sell designer clothes. It's no good telling me the "High Street" ... recommend some specific shops And I don't need to be patronised. I know exactly what a high street is, I suppose I'm surrounded by them in London - but i'm still not sure where to get non-designer clothes. I suspect you think I'm taking the piss, but i'm not - don't mock me for that
    er...high street shops = river island, topman, h+m, next, gap....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    er...high street shops = river island, topman, h+m, next, gap....
    In which case we have different definitions of designer clothing! I would consider all the above designer gear; when I talk about non-designer gear I suppose I mean totally brandless clothes.

ReputationRep:
    In which case we have different definitions of designer clothing! I would consider all the above designer gear; when I talk about non-designer gear I suppose I mean totally brandless clothes.
    oooo....designer gear wud be....prada, gucci, ronat zikhla, stella mccartney, pucci, dior, dkny, YSL, givenchy....
    u get me?

ReputationRep:
    "I am a scally man do you know what I mean? I get my clothes down all sports man, init."

"Kev, you goin' down the market street on sat so we can go and f*cking beg some money of punters so we can by some new nike air?"

"init man, yo star, have you got any change man" - person in quesiton if kitted out with designer gear.

Me personaly I hate brands for the reasons outlined above. Personaly I would rather wear Pirmark than a £100 nike top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    "I am a scally man do you know what I mean? I get my clothes down all sports man, init."

"Kev, you goin' down the market street on sat so we can go and f*cking beg some money of punters so we can by some new nike air?"

"init man, yo star, have you got any change man" - person in quesiton if kitted out with designer gear.

Me personaly I hate brands for the reasons outlined above. Personaly I would rather wear Pirmark than a £100 nike top.
    doubt u cud get a nike top for £100

ReputationRep:
    H&m - not exacly houte coutre is it???

ReputationRep:
    no, i wouldnt consider Gap designer either. People may argue that.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.