The Student Room Group

University 2013.

I'm really not sure what courses to apply for! What is everyone else wanting to do this year/next year?

I really wanted to do psychology but I've been told it's EXTREMELY difficult to get a job as a psychologist or something.

I'm not really sure what else I could do... suggestions?
Reply 1
What subjects are you doing? Which subjects do you enjoy the most? What grades are you getting?
Reply 2
"What subjects are you doing? Which subjects do you enjoy the most? What grades are you getting?"

Um, I'm doing english, maths, biology and french. Next year I'm doing spanish, RE, psychology and chemistry. My grades are mainly B's/C's
Reply 3
Its depend upon your qualifications and your interest as you have mention you are going towards the psychologist which is also good for you.
Reply 4
Original post by blulululu
"What subjects are you doing? Which subjects do you enjoy the most? What grades are you getting?"

Um, I'm doing english, maths, biology and french. Next year I'm doing spanish, RE, psychology and chemistry. My grades are mainly B's/C's

People are a lot more likely to see things if you use the quote button; it's in the bottom right.

As far as I'm aware the likelihood of becoming a psychologist after doing a psychology degree is pretty low, almost every university does psychology (because people want to do it as it sounds interesting and isn't something people are likely to have studied and found difficult) but there are very few actual jobs available at the end.
Reply 5
Original post by Norton1

As far as I'm aware the likelihood of becoming a psychologist after doing a psychology degree is pretty low, almost every university does psychology (because people want to do it as it sounds interesting and isn't something people are likely to have studied and found difficult) but there are very few actual jobs available at the end.

What degree courses would you suggest?
Reply 6
Original post by tiajacob
What degree courses would you suggest?

What do you enjoy? What are you motivated to do well in? I'm not saying don't do psychology, I'm saying that it's going to be difficult to become a psychologist. Maybe you'll have a better idea when you've studied it in sixth year and when you have your fifth year results back.
Reply 7
Original post by Norton1
What do you enjoy? What are you motivated to do well in? I'm not saying don't do psychology, I'm saying that it's going to be difficult to become a psychologist. Maybe you'll have a better idea when you've studied it in sixth year and when you have your fifth year results back.

Thanks for the reply but if psychology is difficult to get into, what other degree courses would you suggest i do? i would like to get into a field similar to a psychology. what if i am open to doing a Masters degree, does that improve my chances?

Reply 8
Original post by tiajacob
Thanks for the reply but if psychology is difficult to get into, what other degree courses would you suggest i do? i would like to get into a field similar to a psychology. what if i am open to doing a Masters degree, does that improve my chances?

You usually need to do a masters to become a professional psychologist anyway in the area you want to work (educational, occupational, etc). How about something like social work or something? There are sooo many degree courses out there, you can't really ask people on here to answer for you. Go onto universities websites that you'd be interested in going to an look at their lists of degrees to see what interests you, you might find something you wouldn't first think of.
Reply 9
Whatever you do, maybe consider doing a degree that you can't do a one year conversion to get (i.e. don't do psychology, philosophy, IT, et cetera).

Quick Reply

Latest