This discussion is closed.
shazza
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
We've had trouble with our scanner too since having XP. It's a pain in the ar*e :mad:
hey i'm glad i'm not the only one with XP troubles, it has right paddys when you add new hardware!!! just don't upgrade too many things at once like I did, you have to re-register and it won't accept the CD-key cuz you already registered, it was a nightmare.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Yeah. And printer, modem, sound card, graphics card, monitor...
Have you found any way to get round any of the problems yet?? It's a real pain not having a scanner.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shazza)
hey i'm glad i'm not the only one with XP troubles, it has right paddys when you add new hardware!!! just don't upgrade too many things at once like I did, you have to re-register and it won't accept the CD-key cuz you already registered, it was a nightmare.
Thats why most people use illegal, patched copies!
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
Have you found any way to get round any of the problems yet?? It's a real pain not having a scanner.
What make and model is it? Becuase there are probably drivers for it, specifically for XP somewhere, if thats the problem.
If that doesn't work, then i don't know really.
Some peripheral devices just don't work on XP. I had to buy a new modem, as my crazy 56K (featuring dowloads between 300bits and 1.43 megabits per second) just doesn't work on there.
shazza
Rep:
?
I had to phone up to get mine reregistered before it stopped working. I had a new hub a few weeks ago, and everything plugged into it stopped working. All I can suggest it uninstall/remove hardware and reinstall, if it doesn't find automatically that is.
shazza
Rep:
?
What make and model is it? Becuase there are probably drivers for it, specifically for XP somewhere, if thats the problem.
Some peripheral devices just don't work on XP. I had to buy a new modem, as my crazy 56K (featuring dowloads between 300bits and 1.43 megabits per second) just doesn't work on there.
I had to buy a new modem too.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had to buy a new modem too.
Well, i say buy.... i just traded with someone.
My modem was old, but it could download impossibly fast sometimes.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know that much about scanners but it's got Scanmaker 3600 on the top and Microtek on the side. It's my dad's pc so it won't be anything expensive or halfway decent probably- do you think it's just cos it's too old? (Don't know how old it is but he's had it for atleast a year, maybe even 2)
shazza
Rep:
?
(Original post by suz19)
I don't know that much about scanners but it's got Scanmaker 3600 on the top and Microtek on the side. It's my dad's pc so it won't be anything expensive or halfway decent probably- do you think it's just cos it's too old? (Don't know how old it is but he's had it for atleast a year, maybe even 2)
Try typing Microtek scanmaker 3600 drivers in a search engine, and see if there are any driver updates for XP , if not it may be too old to cope with XP.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
Is that all. Mines a few years old, and it should work too.
The make is pretty good, but the driver i found for it is about 20MB, and can be downloaded in parts.

http://www.support.microtek.com/drv_...+3600&x=9&y=15

or whole

http://www.support.microtek.com/drv_...+3600&x=13&y=9

If these don't work, i've got no idea

Oops. The links take you to the main page. Just choose the make and model on the screen, and then XP. Then if you want to download it as one, choose the third option as connection speed. Otherwise choose the first two.
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Try typing Microtek scanmaker 3600 drivers in a search engine, and see if there are any driver updates for XP , if not it may be too old to cope with XP.
Thanx for the advice Had a little look, couldn't find much- it probably is too old. I think I'll just buy a new one cos I hate not having a scanner. Since you seem to know a bit more on the subject than me (which isn't hard!) would you recommend just getting another cheapy so that if something like this happens again it can just be replaced or spending out a bit more??
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is that all. Mines a few years old, and it should work too.
The make is pretty good, but the driver i found for it is about 20MB, and can be downloaded in parts.
Whoops! Shows how well I looked :rolleyes: Thanks for those links- I'll get my dad to have a good look at them tonight- I'm fine with standard pc stuff but am not too hot on hardware! Thanks again x
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
Thanx for the advice Had a little look, couldn't find much- it probably is too old. I think I'll just buy a new one cos I hate not having a scanner. Since you seem to know a bit more on the subject than me (which isn't hard!) would you recommend just getting another cheapy so that if something like this happens again it can just be replaced or spending out a bit more??
u get ma email to u? any piks on yet?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
It isn't that old, and Microtek are still supporting it, so hopefully theres no need.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
Whoops! Shows how well I looked :rolleyes: Thanks for those links- I'll get my dad to have a good look at them tonight- I'm fine with standard pc stuff but am not too hot on hardware! Thanks again x
Hey, no problem.
I'm used to these sorts of problems.
I've been using microsoft products for almost 10 years now, since Windows 3.1!
suz19
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
If any lovely ladies want their photo taken I'm your man.
How selfless and kind of you!
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hehe, newbie!
Yep, i know. But i have a little experience of computer problems, which was my point.
shazza
Rep:
?
(Original post by lumpycustard)
u get ma email to u? any piks on yet?
No haven't come through yet. I have to go in 5 minutes, so probably not be on till tomorrow. I have added my pic, will publish it in about 10 minutes, so we will be on the go!!

http://uklearning.tripod.com/
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Clothing is optional.
:rolleyes:
I think thats the sort of stuff that people want to avoid.
There are plenty of other sites for that sort of thing (not that i know or anythink *ahem*)
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok dad, sorry dad
Eww...
You don't want to know the sort of stuff my dad goes on.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (90)
52.63%
No they should not (61)
35.67%
Abstain (20)
11.7%

Watched Threads