Urgent and scared - is this my hymen? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys,
I've been panicking for the past few months about a lump in my vagina. I apologise if this is gory or yucky. Upon inspection, I have a raised, soft, painless lump/mass at the entrance of my vagina. If I apply pressure, there is no pain and with enough pressure from my finger it can be pushed back towards my vaginal canal. But it is a very, very noticeable lump. The lump/mass is attached at all sides around my vaginal opening and I can see one or two tiny holes in it.

This has lead me to believe that it is my hymen.

However, can you normally feel your hymen? Mine is rather easy to feel and it feels like a considerably raised bump or nodule at the entrance of where my vagina should be. When I look at my vagina, I can see the lump protruding out where my opening should be. Also, isn't your hymen supposed to be a sheet of tissue? What I am feeling is raised, it looks like a larger clitoris at the entrance of my vagina.

I'm really worried that this is cancer or something?? I can't go to a gynaecologist because I don't know any and if I go, despite confidentiality I'm scared that my mum will find out I've been intimate with my boyfriend and that's how we found the lump. We tried to have intercourse but we couldn't fit it in and it was too painful and uncomfortable. I've been searching all over the internet for months and I'm so scared that it might be cancer or something really bad!

I'm 21 and I never really felt myself down there until recently and I've noticed this lump thing!!

I know it's really difficult to suggest what it might be since you're not my doctors but could it be my hymen or something more sinister???
un-jardin-sur-le-nil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A hymen isn't a lump its an entrance 'seal' to the vagina. It goes all the way around like a ring of thin flesh. Google hymen.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by un-jardin-sur-le-nil)
A hymen isn't a lump its an entrance 'seal' to the vagina. It goes all the way around like a ring of thin flesh. Google hymen.
I have googled it and it isn't always thin.
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go to your GP or a sexual health clinic. If the GP feels it's necessary, they will refer you to a gynaecologist, you won't need to find one by yourself!

Patient confidentiality is incredibly important, there shouldn't be any way for your mom to find out (although tbh, you're 21 - what on earth are your parents going to do/say if they did know you were being 'intimate' with your boyfriend?! It's hardly an inappropriate age to be sexually active!).
gypsyclimber
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say that it's never a good idea to rely on the internet - if you google any lump, bump, ache or bruise it's always going to suggest cancer eventually - so don't scare yourself unnecessarily. Instead, I recommend going to your GP and explaining the situation, and they will reassure you and refer you to a gynaecologist if need be. I am quite sure it's absolutely fine, but if you are at all worried it's always best to seek professional reassurance. Stop worrying until you know you have something to worry about, it will only make you unhappy Best of luck, x
Beardbrah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
sounds like a classic Bartholin's cyst

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Barthol...roduction.aspx

Please don't be afraid to see a doctor, they have to abide by confidentiality rules and can't tell your parents anything without your permission
Pawsies
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not to sound stupid but are you sure it's not the clitoris when you are stimulated?
artyfroggy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The hymen can vary in thickness although if you have had intercourse your hymen is likely to be broken. Your vagina isn't completely smooth so it could just be part of the way you are however just for piece of mind you should probably go to a doctor to get it checked out, no one will know and if your mum asked you could say you felt it when inserting a tampon. Regarding your problem with intercourse and 'not being able to fit it in' the most likely cause is probably you tensing up when he tried to enter you which is a really common problem, could be this http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Vaginis.../Symptoms.aspx , or simply could have just been your hymen breaking as it can cause a lot of pain for some girls. The best thing to do is get checked out and regularly check what you feel like so you can notice any changes. Hope this helps x
Anonymous #1
Hey guys, it's me again.

After searching on the internet I finally found a picture of exactly what I can see/feel at the entrance of my vagina: it's a pretty graphic picture but it's exactly what I see.

http://koronfelsforensicmedicine.blo...1_archive.html

the first picture is the lump I described in my OP

so apparently it's dentate hymen? has anyone ever had any of these before? will I have problems having s*x and having a baby??
PrincePauper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LOL three weeks have passed and you havent gone to a doctor yet?? What will it take? You were already advised to do so... Relying on a student forum isnt the smartest thing to do....
The best and definitive advise would be: "Go to your nearest GUM Clinic"
Anonymous #2
Report 7 years ago
its probably (like 99%) just your hymen. it is normal that you can see/feel it (unless i have the same thing wrong with me as you do xD).
Although most people's break relatively easily, sometimes it can be too thick for the guy to get through (sounds like you), as it is too painful or simply is just impossible.

If you have already found that you can't have sex, then, unless you plan to remain a virgin and not have children, you need to go to your doctor. They aren't going to tell your mom (why would they if your an adult and they shouldnt even if you were a child) and if you did feel that you needed to tell her, just say you found it yourself, inserting a tampon or something.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PrincePauper)
LOL three weeks have passed and you havent gone to a doctor yet?? What will it take? You were already advised to do so... Relying on a student forum isnt the smartest thing to do....
The best and definitive advise would be: "Go to your nearest GUM Clinic"
Um, it's actually kind of awkward for your GP to have a look at your vagina. And if it is my hymen i'd feel so stupid. Plus, I don't want ANYTHING down on my medical records about coming in for something genital related.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
its probably (like 99%) just your hymen. it is normal that you can see/feel it (unless i have the same thing wrong with me as you do xD).
Although most people's break relatively easily, sometimes it can be too thick for the guy to get through (sounds like you), as it is too painful or simply is just impossible.

If you have already found that you can't have sex, then, unless you plan to remain a virgin and not have children, you need to go to your doctor. They aren't going to tell your mom (why would they if your an adult and they shouldnt even if you were a child) and if you did feel that you needed to tell her, just say you found it yourself, inserting a tampon or something.
Thanks for your post I know they wont tell my mum but I've already given the GP consent for them to share my medical records with my mum (upon my mum's advice) and I can't exactly remove the consent or she'll know...the tampon thing is a good idea though
Zoombini
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its probs just your hymen but go see a doctor they probablly get things like this all the time and it would be better to know than to constantly worry about it and the consent ting with your mum is stupid especially as its stopping you from seeing the doctor. Get it removed, i'm sure they wont phone her up and tell her. Go and talk to someone they wont do anything without your consent.
jesterjess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Could it be an imperforate hymen? http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/hymen.html

My friend had trouble putting tampons in when she was 15 - we (her included) thought she was just tensing up with nervousness but after 5 years of not managing tampons she was diagnosed with this and has recently had some minor surgery to get it removed.

Like others have said, you can't get diagnosed on a student forum so go get it checked out by a doctor, or if you don't want to see a normal GP then ask to be referred to a gynaecologist. My friend saw three doctors, a gynaecologist and a surgical team and she said that all of them were very professional and didn't bat an eyelid.
Anonymous #3
Report 7 years ago
I had exactly what you're describing. It's your hymen, it's not always just a thin layer of skin.

I was also unable to have sex/insert tampons because of it. It felt like a sharp burning pain when anything was attempted.

Went to the docs, at first it was thought it was vaginismus, but after being referred to a gyno they confirmed it was a thick hymen. Was booked in for an op, you should be able to choose the date/time you want it online.

Op itself was pretty quick and straight forward, went in at 12 and out by 4. You're under general anesthetic and given pain killers. You will need someone to pick you up afterwards, as they don't let you leave on your own, so maybe arrange your bf to do this. your mum wont need to know if you dont want her to. Its not obvious to anyone else after the op, i was at work the next day.

Had a couple of stitches which bled a bit but nothing too bad. just had to wear a pad for a few days. after 2 weeks everything was healed and was able to have sex without pain from tgen in.

any questions just ask.
Chloe12345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Um, it's actually kind of awkward for your GP to have a look at your vagina. And if it is my hymen i'd feel so stupid. Plus, I don't want ANYTHING down on my medical records about coming in for something genital related.

It may be awkward for you but your doctor does it probably 10 times a day. Is there any reason that your mum would request to see your medical record? If you gave your consent when you were a child its probably something that they would need your approval for now that you're 21.
Paperkite
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's usually fine honestly. There are loads of different types of hymen this isn't like a problem or anything it's just how somebody are. You'll still have sex normally it just won't break the same as other types and may only fully break when giving birth. If you're concerned go to your GP but mines the same and they usually don't mention it unless I bring it up.
TomorrowD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
May i ask did you ever find out wat was wrong ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (218)
19.29%
Labour (484)
42.83%
Liberal Democrats (214)
18.94%
Green Party (57)
5.04%
Brexit Party (30)
2.65%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.35%
SNP (17)
1.5%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.88%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.09%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.18%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (3)