The Student Room Group

A level choices and career hopes- care to share?

Scroll to see replies

I'm taking English Lit, RS, Economics, History and AS Bio :smile:
I want to study either english, philosophy, history or classics at Uni, and I want to become a journalist and currently applying for a work experience place at the BBC :biggrin:
Reply 281
Original post by LauraEmilyT
No it's nothing prestigious just an a level! I don't know any schools in my region (e. Yorkshire) that do it, might be more around the country. This is the website about it http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?subject=107

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yep, it turns of 'prestigious', I don't know if it is. However, Geography is a facilitating subject so if you were going to apply for one of the top unis in the 'Russell Group', you have a better chance in getting a place than someone who didn't take a facilitating subjects as they are seen as the harder subjects (even though really, all A Levels are hard in general. Some just more acknowledged than others)
Reply 282
Original post by justanotherindigo
I'm taking English Lit, RS, Economics, History and AS Bio :smile:
I want to study either english, philosophy, history or classics at Uni, and I want to become a journalist and currently applying for a work experience place at the BBC :biggrin:

That's great :smile: good luck. I am thinking of going into journalism but I haven't got a single clue in how to make it. It's very competitive which is making me wary in becoming one. Hope you get the work experience at BBC. I've been thinking of getting some work experience there but I don't know how hard it is to get it. I'm doing english lit, biology (and two other subjects) too
Original post by jcao03
That's great :smile: good luck. I am thinking of going into journalism but I haven't got a single clue in how to make it. It's very competitive which is making me wary in becoming one. Hope you get the work experience at BBC. I've been thinking of getting some work experience there but I don't know how hard it is to get it. I'm doing english lit, biology (and two other subjects) too

Thank you :smile: Yeah, same. What sort of journalist do want to become? Yes it is, especially with the BBC. Even the work experience place is very competitive too, try some volunteering. Like with Oxfam or British Red Cross etc... and look into the media department. And that's good too :smile: What are the two other subjects?
Reply 284
Alright I am in year 11 and at the moment I wish to take:
A level
Maths with Mechanics
Chemistry
Further Maths with Mechanics Or FCSE Russian
(Do not know my third subject yet as our school do Further Maths as Enrichment)

And As in one of the Following: German, History, English Lit, or (possibly Geography or Physics if not the full A level).

I want to go on to work for a TNC like Siemens in research possibly in Development of Renewable Energy Resources or Medical Imaging Equipment.

At University I would like to study some Kind of Engineering Masters, not electrical engineering or Physics.

Studied History, Economics, Politics, Maths, and English Lit - hoping to read PPE at university c:
I hope to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit and Psychology for either medicine, psychology or English at uni :smile: but I'm not really sure what I want to do, so my a-levels are perfect for me because they keep a lot of choices open :smile:

English Lit, History and Maths

Commercial Law hopeful :biggrin:
I'm planning to take ~

AS Human Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Maths + Critical Thinking

Heart set on Medicine :biggrin:
Reply 289
I'm taking Biology, French, R.E, and Physics, and I did Maths to AS :smile:
Hope to be a speech therapist!

Reply 290
I don't know what to take! :s-smilie: I'm a really indecisive person and doubt my capability. In the past few months I have thought about doing:

Law and becoming a Solicitor-However, I'm not sure if this is "deep" enough, I want a career that turns me on :colondollar:

Veterinary Medicine-I am interested in this and am predicted all A*s in the separate three sciences. The only drawback would be that there is a HUGE amount of competition due to there only being 7 med schools and I read somewhere that in A level Biology you need to remember 20 times as much as at GCSE and besides, my Biology teacher couldn't predicted me an A at A level

Economics-Again, this isn't meaty enough

Nursing and Medicine-I'm not good enough for medicine and I feel being a nurse I wouldn't have the amount of responsibility and independence I desire.

What A levels should I pick! :/
Do you think History, Chemistry, Biology and then what else? :confused: I'm not that good at Maths, I'm only in set 3b (the 4th set) and I'm only predicted an A, I got one off an A* in a recent test
Aspiring journalist here: planning to take A-Levels in English Literature, History, Philosophy and Religious Studies, then read History at uni. I also intend to complete the NCTJ Diploma in Journalism post-grad.

Reply 292
Maths, further maths, physics, electronics/chemistry.
Wanna do comp sci at uni and go on to a PhD and become a professor.
Far fetched I know :wink:

Reply 293
Original post by justanotherindigo
Thank you :smile: Yeah, same. What sort of journalist do want to become? Yes it is, especially with the BBC. Even the work experience place is very competitive too, try some volunteering. Like with Oxfam or British Red Cross etc... and look into the media department. And that's good too :smile: What are the two other subjects?

ahh thanks! :smile: yeah, definitely! I'm going to start doing a lot more research into it, and maybe publishing? I'm not too sure yet. It just makes things harder when you don't know exactly the career path you want to take because I've got to start doing work experience now if I want to have a chance of getting a career in it later. I do btec music and Spanish. Dropped chemistry because I didn't enjoy it but I'm glad I take Spanish because although I've just dropped my chances of having a career in science, Spanish will open many doors haha. Btec music wont really get me anywhere, that subject is just for fun really. What journalism are you thinking of?
Reply 294
Still deciding like..either:

History, English Literature, Spanish & Chemistry ->war studies -> phd ->WW1 Historian (far fetched i know but i would love to do that)!

or.. Maths, Physics, Spanish, Chemistry ->Computer Science or Medical Physics, who knows:wink:?
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm currently doing AS Biology,Chemistry,Mathematics and Physics...

Hoping to study medicine at cambridge....
Plan to take chemistry, biology, maths, further maths and history, and I'm doing my russian a level this year (2 years early). Hopefully will go on to do accountancy and finance at LSE :smile: or just accountancy somewhere else :smile:
Reply 297
Original post by Lucy96
Just thought I'd ask everyone what A levels they plan to take and what career you'd like to do if you get the required grades :biggrin: I'm interested in doing Biology, Chemistry, History and English Literature :smile: Then hopefully going on to do a degree in Veterinary Medicine or Zoology(which there aren't many decent jobs available for in the UK sadly!) :frown:

Studied exactly those A levels and wish to do Medicine :smile:
People are so intelligent on this a part from me! I take English Literature, Psychology and Health and Social Care and I would like to be something in special needs education then hope to go into social work with children with special educational needs. :smile:
Original post by Gra5100r
Studied exactly those A levels and wish to do Medicine :smile:

Good taste haha :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest