The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Psychology UNIT 2 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rizzy J
Oral, Anal, Phallic, Latency, Genetial
Sample of 57 twins where one was diagnosed with schizophrenia were chosen. Used same sex twin. Each twin assessed to see if they were MZ or DZ twins. 24 pairs of MZ and 33 pairs of DZ twins.
MZ twins- 42% of co-twin of schizophrenic diagnosed as schizophrenic. 37% diagnosed with different form of psychiatric abnormality. 21% normal
DZ twin- 9% co twin diagnosed as schizophrenic. 36% diagnosed with psychiatric abnormality. 55% normal
Gottessman had a large sample size- had used 57 twins whereas Money had one set of twins.
Both had same sex twins ( Money had same sex twins originally)
High ecological validity as both researchers did not control the schizophrenia or circumcision
5 year old boy taken to freud suffering from phobia of horses. Freud saw hans once or twice. Information came mostly through hans father.
At age 3, hans developed interest in his own penis. Age 5 mother threatened to cut it off if he did not stop playing with it. Developed fear a white horse would bite him. Hans fathee related to freud that this was probably related to horses large penis. Father objected him into getting into parents bed in the morning. Hans feared going out of the house incase he encounted a horse. Fear became limited to horses with black harness noses, hans father interpreted this as his black moustache. Hans had two fantasises: he had several imaginery children, asked who the mother was, said why mummy and you’re granddad. Also imagined a plumber fitting him with a bigger penis.
Freud saw phobias as expression of Oedipus

SMASHED IT FAMM!!! expand a bit on the gottesmans and shields, say that even though schizophernia is mainly genitic there is a strong influence from the environment :smile: and also say mz twins are treated more similarly then dz, mz share the same environment and gene, whereas dz just share the same envrionment other than that full marks to the answers :smile:oo on frueds say that methodology used is dream analsyis which is subjective!! :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by FailedEverything
Key issues transgender,
Intersex - Born with unclear genitaliar, the doctor/parent decides which gender is most suited to the genitals, can be very unethical as the child has no consent or is to young to be informed about whats going on... also there was a study conducted that 13 males were born intersex which was psychologically harmful
Gender Dyspohoria, feeling trapped in the wrong gender, can be psychologically harmfull as the person is confused about which gender to belong in, then at a certain age decieds which gender is most apropriate towards how they feel, this can be done by surgery, and injecting either testostrone or oestrogeon.. no real ethical issues and concerns however as the person is 100% physically healthy surgery is a risk
Heomaphordiates, born with both genitalia can be very underconforting and can lead to psychological harm, as the person or parents of the child would not know how to actually treat them,
the factors, are mainly age.. at a certain age the person can choose which gender they belong to.. not just regarding their parents or doctors decision if to young
Social - Counsilling Biological - surgery
:smile: sorry about late reply

Is Heomaphordiates same as intersex children( born with no gentalia)
more ethical points- stops bullying in life, society will accept them
unethical points- child too young to make decision, genes predetermine a child to have certain sex or gender- giving sex change unethical becuase behaviour would be of opposite gender.
Other than that great answer !!! :biggrin:
Ok about the late reply, thought you weren't interested in qs and answers about to give up then :biggrin:
Original post by Rizzy J
Describe the key issue in the learning approach
Describe and evaluate bandura ross and ross study
Describe MRI/PET scans
What is freud's theory of personality

The aim of banduara ross and ross's study was to see whether children would copy aggression shown by the same sex adult role model, the procedure was that there was 72 children in 1 nursery in america, where they were interobserved and taken to 3 stages, in stage one 24 children saw the adult behave agressive and non agressive towards the bobo doll, in the agressive they kicked shouted through it around and in the non agressive they ignored the bobo doll and resembled toys, in stage 2 they were taken to a room full of experimenters best toys which they were told not to touch, which angered them. in stage 3 they were taken to a room full of agressive and non aggressive toys, the findings was that 1/3rd the children behanved more agressively towards toys, boys more agressive then girls, in conslusion children learn by observational learning copying what they see in the surroundings,
HIGH ecologoical validity, natural environment, also children play with toys as children, high experimental validity- lab sexperment controlled variables,it was clear the agression shown was by the adult, ethical issues making children more agressive is psychologically harmful good relibality however due to ethical issues hard to replicate study giving similar results, high population validty sample of 72 children however done in 1 nursey in america so cant generalise to a wider population of nurserys

MRI scanning - injecting glucose into blood, chemical radioactiviity breaks down in brain, more activity in darker areas, less activity in lighter areas
Pet scanning - like an x ray it is a detailed image of the brain used to see where there is more acitity, also to spot small brain abnormalitys

Personality in the psychodyanmic approach is how well we share a relatiobship between our parents whilst going through the psychosexual stages, too much pleasure or too littlee pleasure can result to mental illness's developing at a later stage of life
Reply 43
Original post by AFC1993
My psychology teacher is awful.
Just had to learn 60% of unit 2 by myself in the past 4 days.

Can someone please give me a rundown on brain lateralisation and supporting evidence.

Deep respect x

- Use McGlone as evidence for brain lateralisation - the experimenter found that men's verbal abilities were more damaged than womens after suffering from a stroke, so therefore it shows that mens brains are more lateralised as they use the left hemisphere of the brain for language whereas for women, its more evenly spread out on both sides
Hope that made sense :/
& Hope it helped :smile:
Evaluate the biological approach of gender development
Describe the aim and procedure of Dibs's study
What stat test is used for : Spearmans Rho, Mann Whitney U and Chi sqaured
Evaluate tocken economy benefits and downslides of it (if you are doing tocken economy)
Original post by Rizzy J
Is Heomaphordiates same as intersex children( born with no gentalia)
more ethical points- stops bullying in life, society will accept them
unethical points- child too young to make decision, genes predetermine a child to have certain sex or gender- giving sex change unethical becuase behaviour would be of opposite gender.
Other than that great answer !!! :biggrin:
Ok about the late reply, thought you weren't interested in qs and answers about to give up then :biggrin:

Heomaphrodiates are born with both genitalia
Intersex are born with unclear, so like may be a small penis (very small) which kindha looks like a flange
ahah don't worry we need to help each other to get better :smile: learn from mistakes.
Reply 46
The aim of banduara ross and ross's study was to see whether children would copy aggression shown by the same sex adult role model, the procedure was that there was 72 children in 1 nursery in america, where they were interobserved and taken to 3 stages, in stage one 24 children saw the adult behave agressive and non agressive towards the bobo doll, in the agressive they kicked shouted through it around and in the non agressive they ignored the bobo doll and resembled toys, in stage 2 they were taken to a room full of experimenters best toys which they were told not to touch, which angered them. in stage 3 they were taken to a room full of agressive and non aggressive toys, the findings was that 1/3rd the children behanved more agressively towards toys, boys more agressive then girls, in conslusion children learn by observational learning copying what they see in the surroundings,
HIGH ecologoical validity, natural environment, also children play with toys as children, high experimental validity- lab sexperment controlled variables,it was clear the agression shown was by the adult, ethical issues making children more agressive is psychologically harmful good relibality however due to ethical issues hard to replicate study giving similar results, high population validty sample of 72 children however done in 1 nursey in america so cant generalise to a wider population of nurserys

MRI scanning - injecting glucose into blood, chemical radioactiviity breaks down in brain, more activity in darker areas, less activity in lighter areas
Pet scanning - like an x ray it is a detailed image of the brain used to see where there is more acitity, also to spot small brain abnormalitys

Personality in the psychodyanmic approach is how well we share a relatiobship between our parents whilst going through the psychosexual stages, too much pleasure or too littlee pleasure can result to mental illness's developing at a later stage of life

MRI scans use magentic field to influence hydrogen atoms in water molecules. Radiowaves pass through the head by the scanner. Lots of hydrogen atoms, area white, less atoms, place is dark. allows to compare structure of breians that function normally or abnormally
PET scans injects a molecule called a tracer in to the bloodstream. tracers radioactive releases radioactivity when it decays. radioactivity detected by scanner, red high activity, blue low activity. use for differnces between males and females, normal and abnormal

Freuds theory of personality is ID, Ego and superego. (unless yours is differnet)
Other than that great points.
Bnadura has a control group which saw no model for that extra mark :tongue:
Reply 47
Evaluate the biological approach of gender development
Describe the aim and procedure of Dibs's study
What stat test is used for : Spearmans Rho, Mann Whitney U and Chi sqaured
Evaluate tocken economy benefits and downslides of it (if you are doing tocken economy)

Males have the XY chromosomes and females have XX chromosomes. these alter the level of hormones in the both genders and responsible for physical differences. Ovaries produce oestrogen resulting in mood swings, testes produce testosterone resulting in voice breaking. ovaries prevent developemtn of woffian ducts and allows development of mullerian ducts. testosterone allows production of woffian ducts and prevents mullerian ducts developing.
Learning- gender learnt through imitation and consequences. both genders can be positively reinsforced to display gender appropriate behaviour as well as being punished.
Psychodynamic- to resolve oedipus complex, males identify with father and develop castration anxiety due to fear of father finding out

Spearmans rho- correlation and ordinal data
Mann Whitney- Independent measures, Ordinal
Chi squared- Correlation and nominal data

Token economy- depends on operant conditiong. increase desirable behaviour with use of tokens later exhanged for desirable object.
secondary reinforcer are tokens given for desirable behaviour. once enough collected exchanged for a reward - which is the primary reinforcer
Used in rehab/prisons/schools
can be objectively tested as it can be tested in lab experiment.
alternative theory- aversion therapy
evidence- skinner box supports the idea that we learn through punishemnt and rewards
however, tested on animals not humans
has high reliability as there was a strict procedure so controlled variables.
Reply 48
describe role of neurotransmitters in human behaviour
Describe brain lateralisation
Describe and evaluate case studies-psychodynamic approach
Original post by Rizzy J
MRI scans use magentic field to influence hydrogen atoms in water molecules. Radiowaves pass through the head by the scanner. Lots of hydrogen atoms, area white, less atoms, place is dark. allows to compare structure of breians that function normally or abnormally
PET scans injects a molecule called a tracer in to the bloodstream. tracers radioactive releases radioactivity when it decays. radioactivity detected by scanner, red high activity, blue low activity. use for differnces between males and females, normal and abnormal

Freuds theory of personality is ID, Ego and superego. (unless yours is differnet)
Other than that great points.
Bnadura has a control group which saw no model for that extra mark :tongue:

OOO SHIIT!! in my book its wrong! :frown:(so basically i got the mri and pet scanning opposite way round? :redface: thanks :smile: iv changed them and used your answer :tongue:p
Reply 50
OOO SHIIT!! in my book its wrong! :frown:(so basically i got the mri and pet scanning opposite way round? :redface: thanks :smile: iv changed them and used your answer :tongue:p

Lol, better late than never right? Planning to do the qs i gave? or later on?
If it asks you to describe brain laterisation would you say it is the extent to which different parts of the brain perform different functions and so males have more brain laterisation or is it the difference between male and females brains? This part confuses me
Reply 52
Original post by Distractions
If it asks you to describe brain laterisation would you say it is the extent to which different parts of the brain perform different functions and so males have more brain laterisation or is it the difference between male and females brains? This part confuses me

Yes, and give examples what males and females are good at. Males are better at spatial awareness and females are better at communication.

Evidence- animal studies- rats with high levels of testosterone casue slow growth in nuerones of left hemishpere,
McGlone- men and women who had suffered a stroke on left hemisphere of brain- men suffered more serious damage to speech than women.
yoo rizzy what shall i do lool i know most of the **** but cant be askeddd to revise more psychology cause once you know most the stuff it gets boring theres nothing else for me to do :/ i dont even care if i pass or fail psychology lol im dropping it anyways :x im ready for the exam but idk what to do lol :/ need your help :tongue:
Reply 54
yoo rizzy what shall i do lool i know most of the **** but cant be askeddd to revise more psychology cause once you know most the stuff it gets boring theres nothing else for me to do :/ i dont even care if i pass or fail psychology lol im dropping it anyways :x im ready for the exam but idk what to do lol :/ need your help :tongue:

Have you done past papers?
look at qs and answers from markscheme and see what answers they give. could be possible a qs from the past paper may come but phrased differently. also, go through the papers and see what hasn't come up and revise it, could be they ask that qs tomorrow. Have fun!!!
Original post by Rizzy J
Have you done past papers?
look at qs and answers from markscheme and see what answers they give. could be possible a qs from the past paper may come but phrased differently. also, go through the papers and see what hasn't come up and revise it, could be they ask that qs tomorrow. Have fun!!!

loool theres only 3 papers ;3 lmao :x did them all like 7 months ago :tongue:
Reply 56
loool theres only 3 papers ;3 lmao :x did them all like 7 months ago :tongue:

yh so do them. also look at the multiple choice qs because they do tend to be quite tricky at times. if you have an account on get revising there are quizzes on there, you can do them, if not make an account and do the quizzes. I'll get back to you if i remember anything else.
Original post by Rizzy J
yh so do them. also look at the multiple choice qs because they do tend to be quite tricky at times. if you have an account on get revising there are quizzes on there, you can do them, if not make an account and do the quizzes. I'll get back to you if i remember anything else.

ahah cheers rizzy, seing as you know loads about psychology you're proper ready for tomorow init!? so what are you planning on doing today and tomorow? inprep for exam tomorow
Reply 58
ahah cheers rizzy, seing as you know loads about psychology you're proper ready for tomorow init!? so what are you planning on doing today and tomorow? inprep for exam tomorow

i don't know anything. have to learn all the studies and information and do past papers. luckily the exams in the afternoon. i'm an a2 student so hadn't started revising this till friday :frown: soo gonna fail. why u going to drop psych?
Original post by Rizzy J
i don't know anything. have to learn all the studies and information and do past papers. luckily the exams in the afternoon. i'm an a2 student so hadn't started revising this till friday :frown: soo gonna fail. why u going to drop psych?

oo naa judging by your previous answers and help advice your gunna ace the exam!!!, haaha wow you must of smashed down on revision, also gl with a2 exams i got 2 left and dropping from college next year joining the navy :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending