The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DaveSmith99
Which is more than covered by the tax and duty on tobacco.

Direct NHS costs are. I don't believe for a second the full costs (benefits/welfare, counsellors for the millions of smoking victims, time off work etc.) or the social cost (it's undeniable that smoking causes an incredible amount of stress and upset - something I don't think you can really put a cash price on) are.

Take my family as an example, even excluding the thousands upon thousands of pounds the government are paying for my mums cancer treatment, we are likely to receive something in the region of £200 a week in benefits because of it (even more if we were claiming for the mortgage...). Over the course of a year that's over £10k, over £20k for 2 years. Not an insignificant sum...
(edited 11 years ago)
Its like someone walking up to you when you're eating and saying "you should stop eating so much, its bad for you"

It really isn't though, is it? you can't tell if a person is eating to much by seeing them eat, even if they're fat, they could have a medical issue or anything, besides, the issues with overeating are a whole lot more personal than with smoking, which is almost always just a bad habit.
Obviously I'd prefer it if random strangers didn't bug me whilst I was going about my daily life, but it's not that much of a problem and basically never happens, I mean seriously, do random people come up to you and tell you not to smoke often? Because that's ****ing weird.
Original post by wilko1991
I enjoy smoking though. As much as other people enjoying playing video games, listening to music, messing around on the internet. The thing I enjoy is going outside for five minutes and having a cigarette.

I don't like being priced out of doing something that I enjoy.

Also am I allowed to tell fat people not to order desert because it will kill them? No. So don't tell me I can't smoke.

So do I, but we don't have a right to do things just because we enjoy them. Video games can be really expensive, you wouldn't be crying out for the injustice of someone not being able to afford a game they wanted, would you?
Have you ever tried black market baccy? It's rank, I have friends who bought some, £6 for 50g of goldern virginia, they had one roll up then threw it away.

Meh, ive had a 100% success rate with taste and quality. Im not suprised though as im sure it vairys greatly.
Original post by salty_candy
So do I, but we don't have a right to do things just because we enjoy them. Video games can be really expensive, you wouldn't be crying out for the injustice of someone not being able to afford a game they wanted, would you?

I'm pretty sure that's his point... You would.

If they doubled the tax on video games, I'd complain about it.
Reply 85
Anyone who is naive enough to believe that the raise in price is because the government wants you to quit smoking is a fool. The healthcare and tax argument is flimsy; tax would have to go up significantly if every smoker quit tomorrow.
Original post by Mother_Russia
Who actually pays for condoms anyway?

It's ridiculous. I remember when I used to buy a 20 pack and hand over £5....and get change..

they only sell them in packets of three round our way.
Original post by hamijack
£8 for a 20 deck
£3.50 for a 10 deck

...why wouldn't you just buy two packs of ten for £7?
Original post by Miraclefish
...why wouldn't you just buy two packs of ten for £7?

prefers biggie to two-pack?
Original post by wilko1991
It's totally ****. I've been forced to quit because of the ridiculous costs of smoking. I am so jealous of the rich who can smoke to their hearts content. :frown:

Aww shucks poor you, being forced to quit smoking like that. It's totally unfair!

I know very little about asthma im afraid, even outside if you walk past someone smoking it sets of an attack? I'm also a little confused as to how other people smoking prevents you from swimming or eating?

The smoke from the cigarettes irritate the bronchial tube and causes it to inflame and potentially close. The bronchial tube is the main pathway for air to get to your lungs. Its not a good day when it decides to close on you.

Asthmatics can also launch into an attack due to other 'initiators' whether it be the chlorine in the pools, just generally being wet for an extended period of time or even certain additives and colourings in cakes, sweets and other foods.

You fail to realise how debilitating it can be.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Aww shucks poor you, being forced to quit smoking like that. It's totally unfair!

is there nothing you enjoy doing and would protest at being priced out of by punitive taxes?
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
The smoke from the cigarettes irritate the bronchial tube and causes it to inflame and potentially close. The bronchial tube is the main pathway for air to get to your lungs. Its not a good day when it decides to close on you.

Asthmatics can also launch into an attack due to other 'initiators' whether it be the chlorine in the pools, just generally being wet for an extended period of time or even certain additives and colourings in cakes, sweets and other foods.

You fail to realise how debilitating it can be.

I understand smoke can set of attacks, but now its banned in enclosed public spaces it is much of a problem? (that's a serious question btw)

Your second point has nothing to do with smoking.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
It's definitely true. In 2010 UK smokers spent £17.6 billion on tobacco, the Treasury earned £11.1 billion in revenue from tobacco duties for the financial year 2010-2011 (including VAT). Smoking costs the National Health Service (NHS) approximately £2.7 billion a year for treating diseases caused by smoking. (http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_95.pdf)

Maybe the government actually cares a little bit about peoples lives and health enough that they're willing to sacrifice some income to save people?

He's not taking into account social effects because he was responding to your post about monetary effects? You claimed that non-smoking taxpayers had to cover smoking related illnesses and he said they don't, which is true.

Which is more than covered by the tax and duty on tobacco.

Once again you're thinking in terms of purely money.

When you, as a smoker, go into a hospital and take up the time, money and resources of the healthcare system you are depriving another person of the right to all of the above.

I am not against smokers getting the necessary treatment.

I am against their stubbornness when it comes to accepting that they are having a negative effect on others in ways that cannot be quantified in money.

EDIT : As an adult you have an obligation to accept the responsibility for your actions and the negative effects you have on others. It is your right to kill yourself in the metaphorical sense, but that right is voided if you plan on crippling others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UnknownPerson
Dont see people complaining about rising condom prices :biggrin:

probably because you can have sex without a comdom you cant really smoke without a ciggy :/
Original post by Arturo Bandini
I'm pretty sure that's his point... You would.

If they doubled the tax on video games, I'd complain about it.

Why? Because you have the right to buy video games? This isn't even the point anyway, video games was a poor example because at least they can be enjoyable for reasons other than addiction.
I understand smoke can set of attacks, but now its banned in enclosed public spaces it is much of a problem? (that's a serious question btw)

Your second point has nothing to do with smoking.

Back in the day it wasn't illegal to smoke outdoors in public and I've lived in other countries where smoking in public is still legal. I haven't had an attack for the past few years.

Yes it does, smokers worsen the asthmatic condition of asthmatics hence preventing them from enjoying the aforementioned things.

Although, I admit coloured sweets and candy aren't the healthiest things :tongue:
Once again you're thinking in terms of purely money.

When you, as a smoker, go into a hospital and take up the time, money and resources of the healthcare system you are depriving another person of the right to all of the above.

I am not against smokers getting the necessary treatment.

I am against their stubbornness when it comes to accepting that they are having a negative effect on others in ways that cannot be quantified in money.

EDIT : As an adult you have an obligation to accept the responsibility for your actions and the negative effects you have on others. It is your right to kill yourself in the metaphorical sense, but that right is voided if you plan on crippling others.

There are extra resources and extra staff available to the NHS because of the revenues provided by smokers. I don't plan on crippling anyone thanks.
Reply 98
Original post by Rascacielos
I'm talking £3.50 for 20 - my brother smokes like a chimney, I get used to his complaining about the price of tobacco.

Apparently!

Yowza. I started smoking at the wrong time.
Back in the day it wasn't illegal to smoke outdoors in public and I've lived in other countries where smoking in public is still legal. I haven't had an attack for the past few years.

Yes it does, smokers worsen the asthmatic condition of asthmatics hence preventing them from enjoying the aforementioned things.

Although, I admit coloured sweets and candy aren't the healthiest things :tongue:

Surely we are only debating the current situation in the country? I'd wager a lot of money that asthmatics suffer more from traffic fumes in towns and cities than they do from cigarette smoke.

Latest

Trending

Trending