The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringGenius
So... shall we tax stupid people :biggrin:

No, I pay enough tax already :frown:
Reply 161
Original post by DaveSmith99
Would you support huge taxes on everything that has no tangible benefit?

Given that i am not generally a tax fan i would look at this on a case by case basis although i broadly support the legalisation and high taxation of all narcotics.
Original post by Rakas21
Given that i am not generally a tax fan i would look at this on a case by case basis although i broadly support the legalisation and high taxation of all narcotics.

I was talking more about things like computer games, cinema tickets, junk food etc. If you can make an argument for smoking having no tangible benefit then I don't see why you couldn't make an argument for those products as well. Could even go as far as any luxury good.
Reply 163
I was talking more about things like computer games, cinema tickets, junk food etc. If you can make an argument for smoking having no tangible benefit then I don't see why you couldn't make an argument for those products as well. Could even go as far as any luxury good.

Change tangible benefit to harmful to health then.

And yes, i would consider a 'fat' tax.
Original post by Muscovite
Sorry but not true. In the 2012 budget excise duties on tobacco covered about 1/37 of healthcare spending: http://cdn.hm-treasury.gov.uk/budget2012_complete.pdf
And that's a cold heard fact. Like it or not but smokers have played a significant part in bloating the state in this country. I just don't see why smokers assume it's their right to damage their body (which it is in theory) - but then get the sensible non-smoking taxpayers to pay for it. Even if smokers pay enough tax to cover the specific costs of smoking-related illness treatments, which they don't, the social costs have to be taken into account. Smoking has killed a large portion of my relatives so I don't have much sympathy with self-righteous smokers who put on the whole 'but i pay massive taxes/it's my right to kill myself/i won't use the NHS anyway bit. Nothing against you personally, just my opinion

no nothing taken personally this is just a debate :smile:
but i still have to disagree with you even if i can sympathise with your opinion.
with regards to your link though i may just be reading it wrong but thats the spending for entire NHS and unless smoking has started to cause problems like broken legs, various cancers other than lung and the like etc. etc. then the link you posted is somewhat invalid..
regardless though if we do use your arguement would that not mean that all people who drink alcohol, drive cars and that sort of stuff are just as evil as the dreaded smoker? the fumes coming out of a car are far more dangerous and numerous than those of a cigarette and i have yet to find someone who's smoked themselves to death in a night ...
whilst drinking has been incontrovertally linked to liver damage and death [of course not in all cases by any margin] smoking has only been linked to potentially causing cancer and assorted diseases ... there have been plenty of people who've smoked and lived to a ripe old age with no noticeibly ill affects.
As you said you cant argue with facts but the problem with these facts is they can be used both ways...
I have no problem with people who dont like smoking, if theres someone with a baby walking past me and im smoking i will move well away from them or standing at a bus stop and someone asks me to stop i'll move away or put it out, i will respect there right to not want to breathe in my smoke but thats only as long as they respect my right to smoke. after all, as you said, its my body and its my god given right to do as i please with it as im perfectly aware of the potential damage smoking can cause me ... i smoke because i enjoy it, just like many people enjoy a drink i just dont believe its the governments business to punish us with such high taxes on them ... a pack is well on its way to nearly double the minimum wage now...
Original post by AFC1993
As If they weren't high enough, I've just heard they're going up again in October.
Time to learn how to roll :frown:

Good. Spend your money on something useful. Like Percy Pigs or something...
Original post by Dijipo
Stop smoking. It's bad for you

so is pretty much everything should we stop doing 90% of things cause its bad for us
Grr at smoking being expensive. Me being a smoker doesn't even worry me, with the amount I drink my liver is going to pack in long before the smoking gets me. So let me smoke in ****ing peace.
Original post by Muscovite
because I totally resent smokers who seem to actually be offended at the fact that they can't just damage their bodies, use up vast quantities of NHS (taxpayer) money then get all self-righteous about high taxes. Besides, I've known plenty of asthmatic friends who've not been able to go outside at parties and family events because smokers selfishly pollute the air. I'd have no problem with smokers if it weren't for the sense of entitlement and faux-libertarianism that comes with it.

And it wasn't a personal attack; it was cold hard statistics and facts

You are selfishly polluting my brain with your idiocy. fact.
Reply 169
Most of the arguments put forward by people in this thread are of astoundingly poor form... the fallacious nature of such content only serves to demonstrate the willingness of otherwise uninformed individuals to spout their unsolicited worthless opinions.

Firstly, many smokers fail to understand that they are the societal equivalent of the obese person who sits next to you on the plane. Even the supposedly intelligent ones seem oblivious to the fact that in practising their own liberty they are impeding the liberty of others. Secondly, out of those smokers who do appreciate that being able to smoke is a privilege and not a right, only the addicts (irrationally driven) ones complain about the price. If the costs of smoking are too high for you, quit. If you cannot quit, get help. Nonsensical arguments about being 'priced out' are shamefully pitiful and only hurt your cause and your credibility.

Now on to the real villains, the so called 'opponents'. Most of these sanctimonious degenerates are so deep in their own hypocrisy that only an idiot of equal measure would give them the time of day. These fickle creatures will blindly shout about any statistic that even hints at a possibility of them being right. They fail to understand that any realistic attempt to quantitatively asses the costs and benefits of smoking in even a remotely meaningful way would be met with failure. Not only because of the objective nature of the subject but also because of sheer intractability and general apathy.
Smokers do not need more presumptuous individuals telling them how they are killing themselves and gaining no pleasure from it! NHS budgets and the woes of asthma patients rank near bottom in factors influencing most smokers. Yes those things influence government decisions about taxation but since smoking is highly price inelastic anyway they have little effect above generating revenue.
The one thing that does actually make a real world difference is the smokers own health. (everyone wants to see their kids grow up etc.) This is why as health awareness has increased, smoking prevalence has seen a global downward trend.

What is the shocking conclusion? ... People care not what you think. They are self interested. Any attempts to coerce them through manipulation will probably make them hostile and they will respect you less for it. This is no longer about smoking but about the attitude with which we approach any such debate.
Everyone needs to stop regurgitating the same manufactured opinions that already plague daily life, especially in the passive way social media has encouraged you too.

tl;dr
this discussion is more pointless than than than the opinions of those in it, myself included
Original post by function
Most of the arguments put forward by people in this thread are of astoundingly poor form... the fallacious nature of such content only serves to demonstrate the willingness of otherwise uninformed individuals to spout their unsolicited worthless opinions.

Firstly, many smokers fail to understand that they are the societal equivalent of the obese person who sits next to you on the plane. Even the supposedly intelligent ones seem oblivious to the fact that in practising their own liberty they are impeding the liberty of others. Secondly, out of those smokers who do appreciate that being able to smoke is a privilege and not a right, only the addicts (irrationally driven) ones complain about the price. If the costs of smoking are too high for you, quit. If you cannot quit, get help. Nonsensical arguments about being 'priced out' are shamefully pitiful and only hurt your cause and your credibility.

Now on to the real villains, the so called 'opponents'. Most of these sanctimonious degenerates are so deep in their own hypocrisy that only an idiot of equal measure would give them the time of day. These fickle creatures will blindly shout about any statistic that even hints at a possibility of them being right. They fail to understand that any realistic attempt to quantitatively asses the costs and benefits of smoking in even a remotely meaningful way would be met with failure. Not only because of the objective nature of the subject but also because of sheer intractability and general apathy.
Smokers do not need more presumptuous individuals telling them how they are killing themselves and gaining no pleasure from it! NHS budgets and the woes of asthma patients rank near bottom in factors influencing most smokers. Yes those things influence government decisions about taxation but since smoking is highly price inelastic anyway they have little effect above generating revenue.
The one thing that does actually make a real world difference is the smokers own health. (everyone wants to see their kids grow up etc.) This is why as health awareness has increased, smoking prevalence has seen a global downward trend.

What is the shocking conclusion? ... People care not what you think. They are self interested. Any attempts to coerce them through manipulation will probably make them hostile and they will respect you less for it. This is no longer about smoking but about the attitude with which we approach any such debate.
Everyone needs to stop regurgitating the same manufactured opinions that already plague daily life, especially in the passive way social media has encouraged you too.

tl;dr
this discussion is more pointless than than than the opinions of those in it, myself included

And this is the most astoundingly poor argument in the thread :smile:
Original post by wilko1991
I am so jealous of the rich who can smoke to their hearts content.

Ironic wording brah.
Original post by rachelkeira
I don't see what the governments logic behind this is?
Won't it just lead to more people buying on the black market and abroad, therefore lower revenue for them and more taxes for non-smokers to make up for it?!

The government's logic is quite obvious, isn't it? They're hoping people will give up because it's too expensive. The smoking ban back in 2007 saw a dramatic drop in the number of smokers, and in theory, this should work too. I can't see why anyone would take up smoking now, it's far too expensive.
No, I pay enough tax already :frown:

No that's not possible, you use TSR.

Oh wait...
Original post by agoetcherian
The government's logic is quite obvious, isn't it? They're hoping people will give up because it's too expensive. The smoking ban back in 2007 saw a dramatic drop in the number of smokers, and in theory, this should work too. I can't see why anyone would take up smoking now, it's far too expensive.

But if people stop smoking how do they intend to make up the deficit in income arising from the decline in tobacco sales? Especially if people just turn to cheap, illegal imports and fakes instead. If anything this will lead to NHS costs increasing as more people suffer the ill effects of counterfeit cigarettes.
Original post by wilko1991
I didn't want to quit. The way I treat my body has nothing to do with you, anyone else or the government. As an adult I wish to smoke at reasonable price and should be able to do that. It's ridiculous that so many people are priced out of a thing that they enjoy. The same thing is going to happen with alcohol as well with the 50p in the unit *******s. How are the poor supposed to enjoy themselves?

Well actually, a large number of people get treated by the NHS for smoking related health issues like lung cancer. I imagine it costs the government a fair share of it's revenue to pay for it. Perhaps the government is just trying reduce the amount of money it spends on the NHS for smoking related health issue which taxpayers pay for, so that they can inject more money on trying to recover the economy.

However, like one poster already said, many people could turn to the black market, which could be selling cigarettes that are more detrimental to our health and making the government pay more, whilst also losing tax revenue on cigarette companies, since they are making less profit in the UK. The money may go to other European countries that sell cigarettes for cheaper. But hey, that's just one possible reason for why the prices have been raised. Oh and also, we're in a recession ofc
Original post by 4RealBlud
Well actually, a large number of people get treated by the NHS for smoking related health issues like lung cancer. I imagine it costs the government a fair share of it's revenue to pay for it. Perhaps the government is just trying reduce the amount of money it spends on the NHS for smoking related health issue which taxpayers pay for, so that they can inject more money on trying to recover the economy.

However, like one poster already said, many people could turn to the black market, which could be selling cigarettes that are more detrimental to our health and making the government pay more, whilst also losing tax revenue on cigarette companies, since they are making less profit in the UK. The money may go to other European countries that sell cigarettes for cheaper. But hey, that's just one possible reason for why the prices have been raised. Oh and also, we're in a recession ofc

The cost to the NHS is more than covered by tax revenues received from tobacco, in fact they make a lot of money from it. This point has been bought up over a dozen times in this thread.
Serves you right for having an unhealthy hobby addiction.
Original post by function

tl;dr

this is the most stupid and pointless post i have seen in a long time. It's nothing more than a long winded pointless rant at thin air.
Glad I don't smoke. Then again, why would I? I'm sick of these ****ing morons who smoke to look 'cool'. Especially the stupid art/drama/hipster kids who do it as some form of rebellion, or that it some how reflects individualism. Your breath STANKS. Your skin looks like ****. Your teeth look like ****. Your face looks like ****. You're 30 and you look about 60. Oh well, have fun.

Latest

Trending

Trending