The Student Room Group

How often do you see your grandparents?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dobbys sock
I used to see my gran every Saturday and Sunday as me, my mum and my siblings used to go to hers for dinner as my dad worked weekends. Now we're older we only go up for Sunday dinner every so often. I should probably pop round to see her more often.

My gran and grandad I haven't seen in years. They live in the middle of nowhere so the only time I can see them is if my dad takes me which he never does. Last Christmas my dad was going to see them and asked if I wanted to go as it would make them really happy, I said yes. Just before we were going to leave he turns round and says "oh I'll pop round there another day and I won't be taking any of you lot with me". I don't get it? He complains if we don't go and see them but he refuses to take us? I'll probably never see them again because they're quite old now and not in the best of health...

could you go and see them on their own? i bet they would be overjoyed
My paternal grandmother is my only remaining grandparent. I see her a handful of times per year, maybe three or four? She lives in the Midlands and I live in London, and I can't really afford train travel that often.
Reply 22
Not enough tbh.
First 2 died before I was born. The third was 200 miles away and I saw every other school holiday, and the last was 30 miles away and I saw every school holiday. The last 2 died last year and I regret not seeing them more so make the most of them while you can guys!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
My gran (mums mum) has lived with us for the last 12-13 years or so and she is more like another mum than a gran to me really but my dads mum lives in a different country and we don't get on all that well (bit of an understatement) so I havn't seen her in about 5 years.
My paternal grandparents live in the bungalow next to our house and we share a drive so we're always popping in and out of each other's houses, we basically share houses. So needless to say when I'm not at uni I see them quite a lot everyday. I love it! They're still relatively young for grandparents (mid sixties) so I go on shopping trips with my Nana and my Pop always brings round food he's made and chairs he's made out in the garden :smile:

My maternal grandparents live in the next village so I see them a few times a week, again when I'm not at uni. I love being so close to all of them, it is really like having 6 parents.
All my grandparents apart from one grandmother have passed away. The remaining grandmother lives in India where i visit maybe once every two years for around 2 weeks. I only see her then unfortunately but its good seeing her.
Reply 27
I see my Gran every day. She lives with us.

As for my father's parents. I haven't seen them for years and I never will. Neither him, or any of his family, exist as far as I'm concerned.
Reply 28
I see my mums parents usually every week but sometimes everyday for a couple of weeks it just depends.

I see my dads dad and his fiancé (shes like a gran though as theyve been together since before i was born!) about once every couple of months but I don't feel guilty because of complicated family issues that have recently come to light.

:smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
My paternal grandmother is my only remaining grandparent. I see her a handful of times per year, maybe three or four? She lives in the Midlands and I live in London, and I can't really afford train travel that often.

Fellow Wolves fan/perennial sufferer. My whole family come from Wolverhampton and surrounding areas but my paternal grandmother is the only one that still lives there. See her probably 5/6 times a year, Christmas and whenever I go and see the Wolves.
Original post by Nutty_Psychologist
Wow that must have been awful

it must have been! but i think it was her stepmother who taught her how to make pie, so it wasn't all bad!
Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Fellow Wolves fan/perennial sufferer. My whole family come from Wolverhampton and surrounding areas but my paternal grandmother is the only one that still lives there. See her probably 5/6 times a year, Christmas and whenever I go and see the Wolves.

Sounds like me. I don't think my grandmother is getting to any more matches now, unfortunately - her hip has had it.

Did you get to many this season? I only actually got to the Stoke match :/
I see my mum's parents about once or twice a fortnight, but I speak to them (well my gran mostly) on the phone a few times a week. I'm really close to them and they're always there if I need them for anything. My gran's like a second mother to me. :smile:

As for my dad's parents, although we are relatively close and my dad used to take us to see them almost every Saturday up until a few years ago, I don't see them much anymore because whenever my dad goes to see them, I seem to be working. :frown:
My mums parents I see once every few weeks when I am at home but since going to uni I only see them in the holidays. Before my Dads parents died, I saw them about once a year. It was quite strange because they lived in the same town and nobody had fallen out with anyone but my Dad wasnt close to them at all.
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Sounds like me. I don't think my grandmother is getting to any more matches now, unfortunately - her hip has had it.

Did you get to many this season? I only actually got to the Stoke match :/

Nah my grandma isn't a football fan. My grandpa, her husband, was a season ticket holder since the days of Billy Wright and Bert Williams until he passed away 4 years ago, hence me carrying the family curse!

I didn't see them at all this season, which was probably a good thing. Saw them the previous campaign beat Chelsea, City, Birmingham and Blackpool 4-0. How quickly times changed...!
My gran and papa every week usually, and my other gran every month or 2. We're still quite close though, because when we meet up I usually stay for a couple of days, and we text each other. :smile:
Reply 36
Nice to read some of these responses.

It's sad because my grandad is heavily bipolar, and when he gets into certain moods he isolates himself and it's been worse over the past 10 years, I sort of feel like I haven't seen him for 10 years. He is like a stranger to me now :frown: But I miss him lots from when he is well, as well as my Nan. I wish they knew how much I love them but they aren't the type you would tell it to . I don't want them to pass away thinking I don't care. They are just getting to that age now where it might happen. Makes me sad!
Maternal grandfather : died in 1982 (a year before I was born - thus I never met him)

Paternal grandmother : died in 1995 (I was 11. I had not seen her since I was 3 years old).

Maternal grandmother : died in 1998 (a week before my 15th birthday. She lived with us so obviously I saw her every day.)

Paternal grandfather : died in 2003 (I was 19. I had not seen him at all between the ages of 3-17, and then from the ages of 17-19 I visited him about 5 times, each time staying at his house for roughly a week.)
Reply 38
I see my grandmother who lives about a mile away about once a month and my other grandmother who lives in Australia about once a year in person or on Skype about once a fortnight. It's sad really, my nearest grandmother doesn't really want anything to do with us and never has done even when I was a kid. She prefers being alone I guess.
I find it really interesting that there is definatly a reoccuring theme in that one set of grandparents is seen a lot more often the other

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending