This discussion is closed.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've been with my boyfriend for over two years, but we've been in a long distance relationship the whole time as we were at different universities but lived in the same town. He graduated last year and has been living at home since september but wants to move back up to Newcastle (where he went to uni). I'm due to graduate in june and was planning to move back home until I've got enough money to be able to move out. With my boyfriend living in Newcastle next year and me living at home it'll be a 4 hour drive/train journey everything I want to see him and I'll only be able to go up at the weekends as I'll be hopefully working fulltime.

Is it worth carrying on the relationship when we're that far apart? I don't want to finish with him, but it just seems like a very long way and I'm not sure I can carry on seeing so little of him and I always figured that adults had proper relationships and saw each other more often than once every couple of weeks.

Has anyone else made this sort of situation work?
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
I've been with my boyfriend for over two years, but we've been in a long distance relationship the whole time as we were at different universities but lived in the same town. He graduated last year and has been living at home since september but wants to move back up to Newcastle (where he went to uni). I'm due to graduate in june and was planning to move back home until I've got enough money to be able to move out. With my boyfriend living in Newcastle next year and me living at home it'll be a 4 hour drive/train journey everything I want to see him and I'll only be able to go up at the weekends as I'll be hopefully working fulltime.

Is it worth carrying on the relationship when we're that far apart? I don't want to finish with him, but it just seems like a very long way and I'm not sure I can carry on seeing so little of him and I always figured that adults had proper relationships and saw each other more often than once every couple of weeks.

Depends how much you love him.

it would reflect the decision you make.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
Depends how much you love him.

it would reflect the decision you make.
Lots, but I'm not entirely sure that he feels as strongly about me.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lots, but I'm not entirely sure that he feels as strongly about me.

you should have a serious talk with him- and ask him how he feels about you.. then you will know and can make a proper decision based on facts... however in order to make a realtionship work one or both of you will have to comprimise sooner or later..about where to live or whatever- otherwise you could never make it work...
Elle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Your still young- you can afford to take some time apart and see other people. If you still feel the same way about each other afterwards then you can get back together and at least you know your not missing out on anything.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

so where is he living at the moment??
Ditzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
so where is he living at the moment??
At home, but I'm still at uni, so we're still about 100 miles apart. He's planning to move up to Newcastle permanently as soon as his contract on his current job ends at Easter.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
At home, but I'm still at uni, so we're still about 100 miles apart. He's planning to move up to Newcastle permanently as soon as his contract on his current job ends at Easter.

why does he want to do that- doesn't he want to stay at home so you can be near to each other??

you wouldn't consider going to newcastle??
Ditzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
why does he want to do that- doesn't he want to stay at home so you can be near to each other??

you wouldn't consider going to newcastle??
He just doesn't want to live with his family, after 3 years of freedom at uni he doesn't like having to live by his dads rules. Theres more going on in Newcastle as well, we live in a relatively small town with no shopping or night life, there are job opportunities but it'd mean travelling to Leicester, Derby, Nottingham or Birmingham, which is quite far.

I wouldn't consider going to Newcastle. I'd think about moving somewhere else where neither of us knows anybody, but in Newcastle there'd be all his uni friends and I'd know noone
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads