AS Classical Civilisations AQA Odyssey exam skills help!!

Watch
SMASTER1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ArtisticFlair)
Slightly confused about this exam...

Do we use quotes in the 10 mark, 20 mark or 30 mark essays? And should we take a balanced argument for the 30 markers? Thank you! xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
You don't technically have to quote in any, but it would definitely help. Having said that, definitely quote in the 10 marker, as the quotes are right there in front of you, so examiners would be ugely suprised if you didn't. also it trains you to make sure you dont go outside the passage. Wheneve I do 10 markers my teacher doesnt give me more than 6 if I don't quote. And learn 10-20 good universal quotes for 20 and 30 markers for an impressive essay.

I never do a balanced argument in a 30 marker, what I do (and this has always worked for me) is argue one side completely but then (very importantly) I'll write an 'anti-argument' para. This is when I start off my para like:

"on the other hand, it could be argued that Odysseus is a good leader; he listens to his crew when they ask him to stop at Thrinacie. However, an important quality for a good leader is that they know when to go against the majority for their greater good. Odysseus does not do this here; instead, he bows to their wishes, lamenting 'I am one against many' "

Hope this helps, let me know if I haven't been clear, I'm just regurgitating what my teacher tells me
SMASTER1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also, does anyone have any extra 20 mark or 30 mark questions that aren't in the past paper? Thanks.
Watercess
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This stuff about focusing on themes has got me rather confused about exam technique. How are you supposed to answer them? Are you supposed to just ignore the bulletpoints and focus on themes? Do you do this just with the 30 marker, or the 20 marker aswell? Argh...
ArtisticFlair
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How did you guys find it?

10 marker on the shield scene was horrid.

But the 20 mark (Achilleus' actions and what happens to him) and 30 mark (Patroklus & Alexandros - unimportant....) were okay. However, I felt that my against paragraphs were quite weak (how are they unimportant?!) so I did as you guys said and changed them into for paragraphs. Is this okay?

20 mark: if I did 2 paragraphs for the divine interventions (one on what happens to Achilleus and one on what he does), and 2 paragraphs against the divide interventions (both on what he does - not on what happens to him), will I lose some marks?!

I used 2 quotes in the 30 marker but more detailed paraphrasing. Is this okay?
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Uhh I think your in the wrong place, this is a discussion about The Odyssey paper not The Iliad there is another one on the same forum about The Iliad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lucypritchard
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For a 20 mark question, do you need an introduction and a conclusion?
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lucypritchard)
For a 20 mark question, do you need an introduction and a conclusion?
Broadly speaking, yes, but don't spend too long on it. It is more important that you start writing your essay than spending 5 minutes each on an introduction and conclusion that might not actually give any points required by the mark scheme.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (192)
43.74%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.39%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.97%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.73%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.48%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.69%

Watched Threads