The Student Room Group

I did all my exams in blue ink

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shezshez
To be fair, you should read the instructions, if you're not capable of reading and comprehending the simplest of instructions, it's probably better that your exam won't be marked.

'to be fair' most people have more important things to worry about on the day of the exam than the colour of their ink.
Reply 21
you mug
You're ****ed.
Original post by Architecture-er
'to be fair' most people have more important things to worry about on the day of the exam than the colour of their ink.

'Write in black pen only' is read out by every exam invigilator at the start of every exam. It's a legal requirement that they read out the rules of exams, with this being part of it. Even if you don't read the front of the paper, you are told every single time to write in black pen.
Original post by Add!ction
As long as they can read it when it's scanned it should be fine. You won't be the only person, I guess they worry about people writing in highlighter or glitter gel pen.

ARGH ****E.
Reply 25
At least with Edexcel, any exam script particularly difficult to read (faint scanning etc.) will be flagged on ePEN and marked in the traditional manner. Not sure of the procedure for other boards.
Reply 26
Original post by EmmaJane_
Genuinely worried that my papers won't be marked.
Thanks for your valuable input.

Don't worry hun I'm sure it will be ok. Our school always says do it in black ink but I had my history retake yesterday and it said on the front of the paper 'use blue or black ink' so you should be alright :smile: good luck x
Original post by Flyteryder
'Write in black pen only' is read out by every exam invigilator at the start of every exam. It's a legal requirement that they read out the rules of exams, with this being part of it. Even if you don't read the front of the paper, you are told every single time to write in black pen.

Well that's mighty handy - if my house is next-door to the exam room and I can quickly nip out and get a black-ink pen. Our school didn't provide pens to those who forgot, because they didn't need to.

Personally I chose to do all my exams in blue ink because I didn't have any fountain pens with black ink, and I preferred to be able to write comfortably over pleasing some pedantic rule about ink colour, when they go ahead and mark it anyway :smile:

p.s. **** you TSR, you are an English website so why are you telling me that I should be spelling "colour" as "color"... :angry:
Original post by Brookzy
At least with Edexcel, any exam script particularly difficult to read (faint scanning etc.) will be flagged on ePEN and marked in the traditional manner. Not sure of the procedure for other boards.

Haha, that's pretty cool. I didn't know that :smile:
I never realised you were only supposed to write in black.
What's gonna happen? I'm doing A-levels by the way.

I had a mate who got 0 in a Biology exam for using blue, that's the reason he always assumed, never did anything else about it, just retook and used black.
I didn't know people still brought blue pens into exams...
Original post by gemnomnom
ARGH ****E.

Tell me about it, I did an exam with lemon juice, but when it came to writing a disclaimer for the exam guy to heat the paper to reveal my answers, I only had more lemon juice to write it with :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by Evan7788

:lol:
what did you use for your GCSEs? i'm sure it'll be fine! i think it's just in case but they'll probably see when they're scanning it and send it off as a paper if there's a problem.
Original post by Flyteryder

Because everyone dutifully listens to the exact same exam script over and over again don't they......

Get a grip. Yes, EVERYONE on here knows you are told to write in black ink - with that being posted many, many times before your enlightened post. The OP is also fully aware you are meant to write in black - otherwise how would they have known to start this thread...

I'm not quite sure I believe a scanner that "only" scans black pen really exists, or why they'd want to use it (as someone else said), but the worst case scenario is their writing isn't legible on the scan so it will be processed manually - with no punishment or mark penalisation whatsoever.
Reply 35
The Edexcel exam instructions on the paper say ".....written in blue or black" so if you're for that board you'll be okay. I did all my A'levels in blue ink with a fountain pen and ended up with 3 A's

PS: i remember my invigilator telling us to use only black pen. I never paid attention to that douche. Just follow whats written on the exam paper instructions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shezshez
To be fair, you should read the instructions, if you're not capable of reading and comprehending the simplest of instructions, it's probably better that your exam won't be marked.

oh shut up, don't be so condescending... everyone makes mistakes or does something wrong in the heat of the moment.

and tbf i think the people who actually those instructions on the front are in the minority.
(edited 11 years ago)
I never realised you were only supposed to write in black.
What's gonna happen? I'm doing A-levels by the way.

It doesn't matter at all. Blue scans almost as well as black. If you had written in yellow felt-tip or something and it was impossible to read, we would just put in a request for someone to look at the original.
Reply 38
No invigilator in our school has ever said write in black, though it does say it on the front.

But if the scanners can cope with picking up pencil diagrams then I'm sure they'll cope with blue pen.
Original post by bluemax
The Edexcel exam instructions say ".....written in blue or black" so if you're for that board you'll be okay. I did all my A'levels in blue ink with a fountain pen and ended up with 3 A's

When? I'm sure they switched to black only when I did them a few years ago? I remember our GCSEs saying "black or blue", but our AS/A-levels all said "black" - unless I'm imagining things!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending