The Student Room Group

Is it that noticeable? There are pictures in Here

Hello,
I have a mild case of Gynecomastia, if you don't know what that is essentially its just really puffy nipples, which makes it look like I have breasts. Now that its summer I cant keep wearing heavy jumpers which I do through out the year to hide them, now that I am at university I have a social like so I go out more often. The last few years I didn't have that many friends due to very low confidence and being incredibly shy. Anyway is it that noticeable and if I was to walk around with my shirt off what would you think? I am 6,1 and 70Kg, 19 years old, had these about 6 years and never been over weight or took steroids but you can tell that from the pictures. Been to the doctors they say its not dangerous to my physical health but they don't seem to get the psychological side effects of this.

Pics:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/img0867lu.jpg/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It would be cruel of me to lie and say it wasn't noticeable, because, it is really quite noticeable. You should request that your doctor refer you for treatment on psychological-effect grounds because I can only imagine what this is doing to your self-confidence. sorry to be quite so blunt :/
I'll be blunt.

Yes.

But why would you need to walk around with your shirt off? It's hot, but it's not that hot.

Also, what are the red lines on your chest from?
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeh, they're quite noticeable, but take a photo with a tshirt on and see then?
They are not that bad, but I imagine it wouldn't be great for your confidence having them.
If you take your underwear off, I assure that no one will be looking at your nipples.

:biggrin:

OT: Yeah, they're quite noticeable. I'd just wear a polo though, you see guys wearing shirts all the time at the beach in summer; you'll be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I'll be blunt.

Yes.

But why would you need to walk around with your shirt off? It's hot, but it's not that hot.

Also, what are the red lines on your chest from?

I was sat down for a couple of hours and those are just the places the fat on stomach rolls. And I know its not that hot just wondering as Im going abroad on holiday and was wondering about the pool situation, cant swim with a shirt on
Reply 6
I may be telling you what you already know, but the only permanent solution is surgery (which costs about 3-4 grand), and if you do decide to do it, make sure you find an experienced surgeon.

If you pinch them, do they look ok? I've heard people have pinched them and then dabbed a tiny bit of superglue on, apparently this works for a couple of hours. (Superglue is not toxic to your skin, it was originally designed for surgical use.) Although, I wouldn't do it myself, as I wouldn't want to tear skin off.)

This website may be of use to you, you're not alone OP: http://www.gynecomastia.org/.
I think people are being a bit dramatic about this :s-smilie:

Sure, you can tell that you don't have rock hard, flat pecs but tbh people aren't going to look at you and go HOLY **** WTF or even 'he looks like he has boobs'. I really don't think you should worry about it because I doubt other holidaygoers will be ogling your chest in that much depth :P

I think they look fine :smile:
Reply 8
Get more muscle and it'll probably be less noticeable, but there's little more you can do other than surgery I think.
Reply 9
Sit up straight and lose the red lines bro. Your stomach looks like it's been savaged by a werewolf.
I don't think they're that bad! I certainly wouldn't look at them and think there's anything wrong. But if they really bother you then it's totally up to you.
I don't think they're too noticeable actually. Nothing that would make people stop and gawp- in my opinion anyway.

OP don't worry about them! Or what other people think.
Reply 12
im suprised by other peoples answers because i didnt actually think they were that noticeable, i probably wouldnt have noticed it if you hadnt pointed it out :L

so i wouldnt worry if i were you, i doubt anyone will notice :smile:
Reply 13
mate thats not mild, that there is full blown gynecomastia, especially if you have hard discs underneath your nipples. Only solution for gyno is surgery,
You can try nolvadex 60mg ED or letrozole 5mg ED to combat gyno. If that doesn't work surgery is the only option.
Original post by qazxswedcvfr
Hello,
I have a mild case of Gynecomastia, if you don't know what that is essentially its just really puffy nipples, which makes it look like I have breasts. Now that its summer I cant keep wearing heavy jumpers which I do through out the year to hide them, now that I am at university I have a social like so I go out more often. The last few years I didn't have that many friends due to very low confidence and being incredibly shy. Anyway is it that noticeable and if I was to walk around with my shirt off what would you think? I am 6,1 and 70Kg, 19 years old, had these about 6 years and never been over weight or took steroids but you can tell that from the pictures. Been to the doctors they say its not dangerous to my physical health but they don't seem to get the psychological side effects of this.

Pics:

You'll notice them more then anyone else will. If you start working out your body will look better and your self confidence will improve
Reply 16
Original post by qazxswedcvfr
Hello,

Pics:

Honestly they're a bit noticeable but they're not that bad at all, they're a bit puffy, hardly freaky. I would prefer them to keloid scarring that I have on my chest and shoulders, they're so stubborn and haven't responded to anything
It's noticeable, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It doesn't look like you have breasts, but the nipples are kind of puffy.

If you could find a nice and light t-shirt, I don't think the heat would be a problem at all. Also have you been to the doctors? They might be able to help you out.

I don't think it's as bad as you might think though OP :smile: Get the doc to check it out would be my suggestion.
They aren't as bad as I imagined! I wouldn't worry if you were going swimming, no one would really be looking at your chest in that situation. However if you walk around the streets topless you may get a few stares.

And I agree that you'd feel better if you worked out more as well.
Original post by Arcanine
Get more muscle and it'll probably be less noticeable, but there's little more you can do other than surgery I think.

I agree, perhaps building muscles there might make them less noticeable?

If that doesn't work, go and see your GP. A very wide range of cosmetic surgeries are available on the NHS on the grounds that it is effecting your self confidence and your quality of life. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest