Advice on where to get cheap uni books? Watch

JillianG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Wondering if any current students know where to get cheap books/ second hand uni books from?
draconia_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JillianG)
Wondering if any current students know where to get cheap books/ second hand uni books from?
The bookshop on campus has some second hand uni books, especially if its a set textbook/reader for the module (since they have a buy back scheme). Amazon or Ebay are also worth a look. Obviously depends on what subjects you're going to study, but for some of the first year modules you can get away with just borrowing the necessary books from the library
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
amazon or some student unions sell them on the cheap
JillianG
Rep:
?
(Original post by draconia_93)
The bookshop on campus has some second hand uni books, especially if its a set textbook/reader for the module (since they have a buy back scheme). Amazon or Ebay are also worth a look. Obviously depends on what subjects you're going to study, but for some of the first year modules you can get away with just borrowing the necessary books from the library
Thanks that's a relief! Thought i was going to have to pay full price for all of them! :P
draconia_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks that's a relief! Thought i was going to have to pay full price for all of them! :P
No worries! What subjects are you going to be studying?
Indian_Prince
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ebay.... i won quite a few books for cheap, in mint condition
Sakura-Chan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
eBay. I got all my books for this year for £1.96 each inc postage :proud:
JillianG
Rep:
?
(Original post by Indian_Prince)
ebay.... i won quite a few books for cheap, in mint condition
Thank you, will try there
JillianG
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
eBay. I got all my books for this year for £1.96 each inc postage :proud:
Wow!! Thats' amazing!! aren't they normally like £50? :O what a bargain!
Indian_Prince
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeh keep an eye out because they come and go quite often
JillianG
Rep:
?
No worries! What subjects are you going to be studying?
Marine biology what are you studying?
draconia_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Marine biology what are you studying?
History, Politics and Education - just finished first year I wouldn't say that you'd desperately need a book for Marine Biology - they'll probably have copies of the textbooks in the library
JillianG
Rep:
?
History, Politics and Education - just finished first year I wouldn't say that you'd desperately need a book for Marine Biology - they'll probably have copies of the textbooks in the library
Ah ace thanks!
Chelsea0005
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you recommend any textbooks for History? Might be cheaper if i search for them on ebay before uni actually starts
draconia_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chelsea0005)
Do you recommend any textbooks for History? Might be cheaper if i search for them on ebay before uni actually starts
To be honest, there's no point really buying any set textbooks for History in first year unless you have an interest in a particular area. You can find several copies of pretty much all the books in the library anyway - I bought 2 "essential" books and barely used them! I'd only recommend buying them if they're cheap on amazon, since some of them tend to just give an overview of the time period, rather than going into depth.

Assuming you're planning to study the standard History course rather than Scottish History? If so, I can have a look and see if I can recommend anything and try to give you a more useful, detailed reply (I'll be back on sunday so can't do it before then I'm afraid!)
Chelsea0005
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be honest, there's no point really buying any set textbooks for History in first year unless you have an interest in a particular area. You can find several copies of pretty much all the books in the library anyway - I bought 2 "essential" books and barely used them! I'd only recommend buying them if they're cheap on amazon, since some of them tend to just give an overview of the time period, rather than going into depth.

Assuming you're planning to study the standard History course rather than Scottish History? If so, I can have a look and see if I can recommend anything and try to give you a more useful, detailed reply (I'll be back on sunday so can't do it before then I'm afraid!)
I'd probably like to get some anyway, i'd probably read them out of interest! Yeah i'm doing the standard History course. That'd be great, thanks!x
Young Hot Stalin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Amazon FTW!
kjp+123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Amazon is the no brainer answer... They have two cool programs where you get good discounts, free extremely quick shipping and a good return on selling used books back. The first is Amazon Prime which is my favorite but cost a bit por year... But they have Amazon Student where is free to enrolled and there is a great variety of used books with accurate condition descriptions so I recommend you check it out http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/sig...f_type=generic
Mr Student
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Waterstones have a market place where secondhand books are sold. I got an £80 anatomy book for £15. The cover was a mess but inside was like new.

Never used it much though :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
buchanan700
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good suggestions from various people, but as a 3rd year I would honestly stress, just use the library if you possibly can! My library even has an e-book service so there's no need to go down. You probably will honestly not use them for more than a week or so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.38%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (263)
58.84%
No (151)
33.78%

Watched Threads