The Student Room Group

Recruit Training - RAF Halton.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You should do well then - attention to detail is what they're trying to foster in you at RTS during the inspections. I was told i had a very good eye for it. It could lead to you spotting something which may save lives, especially handy in the Weapons Tech. trade. You'll find that some recruits, particularly the younger ones, do have a good eye for detail but can't be bothered o use it. A simple re-show inspection or re-flight usually cures this.
Reply 21
Well, I can honestly say that attention to detail is indeed one thing I've got by the bucket load. Bit of dust on your sleeve? Gone before you can say "smarten that jacket up you lazy slob!". The marching I feel I may have a little trouble with, but since I'm doing tae kwon-do twice a week now and that's all about learning moves and techniques I think that shouldn't be such an issue in a months time.
Reply 22
Marching's the easy part - in effect it's just walking with an accentuated arm-swing. It's when you get to the about-turn on the march, that's when it gets complicated ! But seriously, you sound like you have your head screwed on - if you listen in and concentrate you'll have no problem with it. Like i said, it's all broken down into bite-size movements.
Reply 23
Head... *checks* yep, definitely up there, attached pretty well to. I once split my scalp open when I mis-judged a jump and impacted on the top bar of a door frame, and it didn't come off then so it must be a pretty solid connection. In fact the doctor said that to all medical reasoning I should have been knocked out and concussed, and yet I wasn't, so there must be some industrial strength fixatives in there.

By the way which week do you first get your L85 and start maintaining it? Being a weapons tech. guy I have of course got quite a passion for hardware of all kinds, so I'm looking forward to that bit.
CKinnerley
By the way which week do you first get your L85 and start maintaining it?

Now are you sure you want to join the RAF? Surely a REME Armourer would be better for you.
Reply 25
That won't come until week 3 of Phase 2 - the 5th week of RTS.

All will be explained tomorrow when i post about Ground Defence Training but don't get too excited about it. The lessons aren't that exciting - if you have any experience of weapons, particularly the L85, get it all out of your head right now and get used to doing things their way. I was very experienced in L85 before i went - this helps a great deal, but you see little changes to the way you may have done things before and it irks getting used to them. You won't get to fire the thing until the last week of GDT either, and even then you only get 25 rounds on the simulator and 25 rounds on the live range. Of course, you get loads of blanks when you go on the CPT exercise !
Reply 26
Also, it's the A1 version of the rifle, not the A2 i'm afraid.

I also hope that by 'maintaining' the rifle you mean cleaning it ? Because that's as far a you go with maintaining it, none of this Weapons Techy stuff. Believe me, they can be very anal about the cleanliness of your rifle, too.
Rizza Razzu
Also, it's the A1 version of the rifle, not the A2 i'm afraid.

Bit poor that, even (most of) the TA are trained on the A2.
Reply 28
I questioned it, as i was even A2 trained as a civvy !

They said that if going operational, all members would be A2 trained and equipped. The RAF Regt. are fully A2 equipped though and have been for some time.
How did you get A2 trained as a civvy?
Reply 30
I used to work for the Army, in simulations, it was part of my job to know how certain things worked, let's just put it that way.
I suppose there's more to learn with the A1, as there's apparantly no gas stoppages with the A2.
Reply 32
That's not entirely true, either - they're just less likely.
Reply 33
Congratulations on graduating Rizza!!:smile:

Well, I'm pretty scared now.... Great post though. Keep it coming!
Very good posts by Rizza.

I think when Rizza has finished all his posts it needs tidying up and locking so only Rizzas information can be seen. And perhaps making it a sticky?
Reply 35
I'd be happy with that. Shame all of the info. can't be included in the one post due to the maximum character count.

I've just added a bit of Phase 2 into Page 1, a few posts down from the top.

I'll update more a bit later.

thanks for the positive feedback, too guys - it's good to know i'm not wasting my time.
Do they still teach NBC? I thought it was CBRN nowadays.
Reply 37
I was taught NBC. What's CBRN ?
Chemical Biological Radiological Nuclear. They had to change the name because, civilians understood what the military knew as NBC as CBRN. Just a name change but otherwise exactly the same as NBC.

Another money wasting name change.
Reply 39
I'd imagine that will filter it's way through to future courses then - i do know that RTS is subject to quite a few changes in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest