The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hattori
bbc report

Seems like a great way of making people feel like they are a part of the communtity. Maybe it will help prevent the race riots we saw a couple of years back.

What do you think?

Regular british citizens don't have to do the same, so i don't see why immigrants should.
Reply 2
Iluvatar
Regular british citizens don't have to do the same, so i don't see why immigrants should.

because regular british citizens tend to be born in Britain so that goes along way towards making us feel british! Perhaps we all should do the same thing though, might make Britain a nicer place.
Reply 3
swearing allegiance to the queen? haha :smile:
Reply 4
it'll probably make them feel more isolated, already someone has said they're getting special treatment, and if more people get that impression then it'll result even more questions about why they should be allowed this etc.
Reply 5
When I saw the bit about pledging allegiance to the queen, I thought they were having a laugh!!

I think that, at this stage, it's all pretty meaningless as the people who are prepared to go through the ceremony are the sort of people who would respect what it means to live in Britain anyway, or at least to the extent that the ceremony represents Britain.

I mean, I don't think swearing allegiance to the queen should have anything to do with being a British citizen. I've lived in Britain all my life, and I certainly wouldn't do it!
Reply 6
Gnostic
120,000 people become British citizens every year
100,000 asylum seekers come to the UK every year - 95% stay
150,000 work permits are given to foreign nationals each year - again most stay in the country

And countless numbers of illegal immigrants flood into the country each year - we have no idea how many but it may well be over 100,000

So - fact - 370,000 foreigners move to the UK each year (and that's not including the illegal immigrants who may well be 100,00 a year)

Only 200,000 people are born in this country each year

Result: the native population will be displaced within a few centuries.

I'm not against immigration (we need immigration, and my girlfriend is an Indian immigrant who only recently became a British citizen) - but I am against this indirect genocide of our people.

The gods, when they wish to destroy a people, first make them mad. And we must be mad, absolutely mad, to be allowing such displacement at such a rapid scale.

hahaha, a few centuries!!...rapid scale... you joker... I don't think were going to have massive immigration for 200/300 years.
Reply 7
Gnostic
120,000 people become British citizens every year
100,000 asylum seekers come to the UK every year - 95% stay
150,000 work permits are given to foreign nationals each year - again most stay in the country

And countless numbers of illegal immigrants flood into the country each year - we have no idea how many but it may well be over 100,000

So - fact - 370,000 foreigners move to the UK each year (and that's not including the illegal immigrants who may well be 100,00 a year)

Only 200,000 people are born in this country each year

Result: the native population will be displaced within a few centuries.

I'm not against immigration (we need immigration, and my girlfriend is an Indian immigrant who only recently became a British citizen) - but I am against this indirect genocide of our people.

The gods, when they wish to destroy a people, first make them mad. And we must be mad, absolutely mad, to be allowing such displacement at such a rapid scale.

Mark my words: if this continues, we will be like the aboriginals of Australia or the Native Americans of North America - strangers in our own land.

what are you talking about? Where are your "stats" from? How are each of the 3 groups you've described mutually exclusive? Whats the native population? Clearly the people born include second generation migrants? So are they part of your genocide, or are they "native?" What's mad? Who's been displaced? Where are you moving to?
Reply 8
hattori
bbc report

Seems like a great way of making people feel like they are a part of the communtity. Maybe it will help prevent the race riots we saw a couple of years back.

What do you think?

I suggested this a couple weeks back but actually went one step further by advancing the idea of taking a pledge of allegience, taking a citizenship program, and being able to speak English as a requisite for citizenship, as is the case in Uncle Sam.

Not surprizingly I was shouted down by a clear majority that thought it unfair that a Albanian speaking immigrant shouldn't just be given a British passport and all the benefits that go with it.

So good luck with this particular battle!
Reply 9
piginapoke
Why on earth would that make Britain a nicer place?

I think it might lead to people being proud of where they live and a bit more responsible. That could only make britain a nicer place.
Howard
I suggested this a couple weeks back but actually went one step further by advancing the idea of taking a pledge of allegience, taking a citizenship program, and being able to speak English as a requisite for citizenship, as is the case in Uncle Sam.

Not surprizingly I was shouted down by a clear majority that thought it unfair that a Albanian speaking immigrant shouldn't just be given a British passport and all the benefits that go with it.

I agree with you. People who want to come to Britain should be able to pass an english test more than anything. This would include the language and history. The pledge of aligence I feel wouldnt do much, and is probably a waste of money.
Reply 11
DanMushMan
what are you talking about? Where are your "stats" from? How are each of the 3 groups you've described mutually exclusive? Whats the native population? Clearly the people born include second generation migrants? So are they part of your genocide, or are they "native?" What's mad? Who's been displaced? Where are you moving to?

LOL :biggrin:
hattori
bbc report

What do you think?

Or maybe it will make more ethnic communities feel even more isolated and stoke up hostilities yet again. This swearing allegiance to the queen is such an American idea it almost makes me puke because the stench of the cheese which emanates from this made for tv event is overpowering my will to live!!! - when did anyone ever like the royal family let alone swear allegiance to the queen!! This country has all sorts of problems with education and healthcare and here we are saluting the queen for this stupid citizenship ceremony! And what is more isnt it rather ironic that here there is a ceremony promoting the citizenship of immigrants when a whole bunch of illegal chinese asylum seekers died tragically on a cockle-picking excercise - Blunkett you moron no event or ceremony will dress up the fact that there are many illegal immigrants coming in all the time and that you are crap at your job!!!!!
Gnostic
I'm far worse - I'm a Daily Mail reader lol

But seriously, wanting to preserve one's people is not racism. Immigration is great - but not at this scale.

Arghhhhh! :biggrin: unfortunately for you this will continue as long as this shoddy government continues to take military action in far-flung parts of the world - after the bosnian war - bosnians - after the kosovo war - kosovans - after the afghanistan war - afghanistanis - after the iraq war - iraqis - they all came over seeking asylum after we had a war with them - next we'll have zimbabweans over for tea!!!!!!
Reply 14
Howard

I know its weird, I wouldn't have a problem with anyone who comes to this country if they are planning to make a worthwhile life for themselves and give something back.

I just don't believe every immigrant is a freeloader, especially the eastern europeans who were told are coming here and have every right too in the summer.

Most people just want a good life like anyone else.

As for learning English, maybe the government should spend less money on putting up signs and writing everything in every language so that everyone can understand and more time on teaching people English.
piginapoke
I didn't suggest that sir. Just be careful which side of the line you tread :smile:

indeed
Gnostic
Anybody who watches the news knows that asylum applicants reached the 100 K mark last year, that the Blair government has increased work permits from 70 K to 150 K per year - and the 120 K figure for the number of people who become UK citizens each year was on the news even today (because of the ceremony). I can’t be held responsible for your lack of awareness of current affairs - you do your own homework.

The native population is Anglo-Saxon. Asians and Africans are not native to England just as white Americans are not native to North America.

What is happening to England is exactly what happened in Australia and North America - the native population is being displaced by large-scale immigration.

so explain how each of the three groups of people you've described are mutually exclusive. Explain how you feel the need to defend the "English" whilst pointing out that countries like Australia have been destroyed, oh yes, by the "English," can't have it both ways.
hattori
I know its weird, I wouldn't have a problem with anyone who comes to this country if they are planning to make a worthwhile life for themselves and give something back.

I just don't believe every immigrant is a freeloader, especially the eastern europeans who were told are coming here and have every right too in the summer.

Most people just want a good life like anyone else.

As for learning English, maybe the government should spend less money on putting up signs and writing everything in every language so that everyone can understand and more time on teaching people English.

I dont have a problem with multi-culturism because it enriches our society - but i do have a problem with the Albanian crime syndicate that runs all the rackets in West London - especially prostitution and people smuggling
so gnostic, if you do infact have an Indian girlfirend (sniffs of "look at me, I can say as much racist stuff as I like, but I can't be racist, look at my girlfriend!") and you were to have children, then what would they be. Surely they're not Anglo-Saxon, so they're not native. Would you add to the "genocide" of the "English" people?
Gnostic
Yeah, Blair did a great job protecting the Kosovans from the Serbs - now we know why the Serbs wanted to kill them...

Hehe - careful - another joke like that and piginapoke will have you ... but seriously Blair is a prannet for the way he handles the foreign affairs of this country - he sacked Cook and put Straw (who has no idea about foreign policy only home affairs) and he didnt even know he was in brussels the first day he was there - Blair seems to be running this country (unsuccessfully) and trying his hand at running other countries with his bosom buddy bush

Latest

Trending

Trending