Turn on thread page Beta

First citizenship ceremony for UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    You cant reduce this to a simplistic "whites v blacks v asians". As I said, I dont really give a damn about other white groups - I really couldn't care less about the French etc. This is about English civilisation and culture.

As for North America, the displacement of the Natives in North America has already happened - it cant be changed back to what it was. The British always protected the Native Americans - it was the USA who actively tried to destroy them. One of the reasons for both the American Revolution and the War of 1812 was because the yanks wanted to expand westward but we didn't allow them to.
    how is that a relevant reply to my post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    so gnostic, if you do infact have an Indian girlfirend (sniffs of "look at me, I can say as much racist stuff as I like, but I can't be racist, look at my girlfriend!") and you were to have children, then what would they be. Surely they're not Anglo-Saxon, so they're not native. Would you add to the "genocide" of the "English" people?
    Hey gnostic - you have an indian girlfriend - ooh nice one

ReputationRep:
    so gnostic, if you do infact have an Indian girlfirend (sniffs of "look at me, I can say as much racist stuff as I like, but I can't be racist, look at my girlfriend!") and you were to have children, then what would they be. Surely they're not Anglo-Saxon, so they're not native. Would you add to the "genocide" of the "English" people?
    I believe they're called "eurasian" the mixed ones i mean :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    Or maybe it will make more ethnic communities feel even more isolated and stoke up hostilities yet again. This swearing allegiance to the queen is such an American idea it almost makes me puke because the stench of the cheese which emanates from this made for tv event is overpowering my will to live!!! - when did anyone ever like the royal family let alone swear allegiance to the queen!! This country has all sorts of problems with education and healthcare and here we are saluting the queen for this stupid citizenship ceremony! And what is more isnt it rather ironic that here there is a ceremony promoting the citizenship of immigrants when a whole bunch of illegal chinese asylum seekers died tragically on a cockle-picking excercise - Blunkett you moron no event or ceremony will dress up the fact that there are many illegal immigrants coming in all the time and that you are crap at your job!!!!!
    Who said anything about swearing allegience to the Queen? In the US you swear allegience to "the flag and to the republic for which it stands" and not the President.

Citizenship ceremonies are not stupid. Millions of people are very proud indeed to take their pledge each year in the US and become "Americans" I've been to several ceremonies over here. And I've seen people weeping with emotion.

So what does this mean? Are immigrants to America stupid? Or is being British of such little value these days (in other words is Britain such a cess pit?) that a ceremony isn't warranted?

ReputationRep:
    Me having interracial children will not bring an end to the English.

But 400,000 immigrants a year will.
    Possibly - but then again we need as many as we can get because the population is ageing and the natives of this country seem to be getting more and more ignorant year on year - in fact they are obese, ignorant mud-swilling illiterate twits - all of 'em!! (or at least an unhealthy proportion)

ReputationRep:
    Me having interracial children will not bring an end to the English.

But 400,000 immigrants a year will.
    again, where is your 400,000 from? The groups you've described aren't mutually exclusive.

Plus the fact is that the working population in Britain is diminishing. With the low birth rate, how is the country going to sustain the economy without migrants? Is there mass unemployment? Do you really think that people can't find jobs if they need one? How is the country going to pay for the increasing, longer-living elderly population? So your way would be to shut borders and then force people to make more babies, and only Anglo-Saxon ones?

ReputationRep:
    so explain how each of the three groups of people you've described are mutually exclusive. Explain how you feel the need to defend the "English" whilst pointing out that countries like Australia have been destroyed, oh yes, by the "English," can't have it both ways.

What do you mean "countries like Australia has been destroyed by the English"? It wasn't a country at all before the English arrived was it?

ReputationRep:
    DanMush, your level of English is so poor that, frankly, I had no idea what you were talking about, and so I had to base my reply on what you could be talking about.
    there is a simple question, which i've asked three times already. Explain how your stats are mututally exclusive. Did I ever mention the USA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Who said anything about swearing allegience to the Queen? In the US you swear allegience to "the flag and to the republic for which it stands" and not the President.

Citizenship ceremonies are not stupid. Millions of people are very proud indeed to take their pledge each year in the US and become "Americans" I've been to several ceremonies over here. And I've seen people weeping with emotion.

So what does this mean? Are immigrants to America stupid? Or is being British of such little value these days (in other words is Britain such a cess pit?) that a ceremony isn't warranted?
    Howard - i love this country - but i hate this govt. - u'll find that there is a lot of resentment amongst those of us who have been born here and have grown up here because this country is pretty **** in a lot of respects - namely education and healthcare - and the politically correct lobby really f**king annoys me - but they run this country - i dont like local councils either because they make me sick too

ReputationRep:
    As I said, I'm not against immigration in principle but I am against the current scale of it.

And anyway, if we have 400 K immigrants a year they also grow old! And they will need to be supported. Solution? The DaMush solution is by importing even more. But then they grow old...ad infinitum - see the problem?

Immigration will not solve the growing ageing population crisis, unless we send the workers back home once they reach 60 - which you liberals would never ever do.
    I don't consider myself a liberal, in fact I read the Daily Mail. However I like to feel I can extract the substance from the utter rubbish they often print, and not just take it all.
    Again, I challenge your 400k a year statistic, still waiting for an answer.

ReputationRep:
    Howard - i love this country - but i hate this govt. - u'll find that there is a lot of resentment amongst those of us who have been born here and have grown up here because this country is pretty **** in a lot of respects - namely education and healthcare - and the politically correct lobby really f**king annoys me - but they run this country - i dont like local councils either because they make me sick too
    Well Kurdt, I'm a Brit myself but having lived overseas (lived - not just vacationed) in the following countries;

Mexico
    Guatemala
    US
    Uzbekistan

I can tell you that Britain is still a very very good country despite having a **** government (which country doesn't?). I think you'll find most immigrants might actually be proud to become a citizen rather than feel demeaned by it.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree there is alot wrong with this country, and basically any other country in the world, but thats life.

Theres far too many people in Britain who are just so negative its amazing. There is alot Britain gets right.

Name me one country that gets it right every single time or doesnt have a dubious past. On closer inspection you'll start to really respect what it means to be British.

ReputationRep:
    Asylum seekers and legal immigrant workers are two entirely separate categories. No asylum seeker has a working permit, and vice versa. They are thus exclusive.

As for 120 K people becoming citizens each year, perhaps that category isn't exclusive of the above two - but some of them were illegal immigrants who have been given amnesty.
    if they were illegal immigrants, then i doubt they would've been given british citizenship, more likely indefinite leave to remain, or refugee status. Most of the new british citizens probably already lived in the country, many were probably legal immirgrant workers who have lived here so long that they qualify for British citizenship.
    So with your admittance that they are not mutually exclusive, you may want to alter your "estimated" immigration. Even then you haven't considered the emigration which occurs.

ReputationRep:
    Being patriotic causes almost as many problems as being religious imo

ReputationRep:
    Well Kurdt, I'm a Brit myself but having lived overseas (lived - not just vacationed) in the following countries;

Mexico
    Guatemala
    US
    Uzbekistan

I can tell you that Britain is still a very very good country despite having a **** government (which country doesn't?). I think you'll find most immigrants might actually be proud to become a citizen rather than feel demeaned by it.
    Depends entirely on ur perspective though doesnt it? (rhetorical) A lot of people are cynical about the motives for this ceremony and with good reason - covering up problems with immigration and the need to impose the state on the will of the people - what else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    I disagree there is alot wrong with this country, and basically any other country in the world, but thats life.

Theres far too many people in Britain who are just so negative its amazing. There is alot Britain gets right.

Name me one country that gets it right every single time or doesnt have a dubious past. On closer inspection you'll start to really respect what it means to be British.
    I think anybody who bashes Britain really ought to get out more and go and experience living in another country for a few years.

I used to HATE Britain which is why after years of moaning I "hit the road", finally ending up in the US. Now, I'm much happier stateside than I ever was in the UK but I do understand that the UK "ain't that bad"!!

ReputationRep:

That's something I love about about America and Canada, most people a proud of who they are.

For some reason in Britain alot of people want to put themselves down. For the life of me I don't know why. They're just so negative and it's crazy because we have alot more to be proud of.

When ever I go to India I come back feeling just so happy that my grandparents came to England to make a real life for themselves. Theres peope around the world who would give anything to live like we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)

Hattori i dont doubt that it is an honour to u and I and everyone else to be british - but encapsulating it in a cheesy ceremony to me smacks of a quick fix - that in some way these people are automatically assimilated into our society by swearing some sort of allegiance at a citizenship ceremony - it just doesnt cut it for me - the govt. are not doing enough to fix the problems with illegal immigration that everyone always seems to be complaining about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Being jingoistic might. But being patriotic doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Being patriotic doesn't mean you cant criticise your country. It just means your proud of it and are just trying to make things better for the country. For example, in America alot of antiwar people could have been called un patriotic but they were doing what they thought was best.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.