higher education - to be or not to be?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
felicity
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hello,

I have received offers from Cambridge, Warwick, York, Durham, UCL and St Andrews to study English Lit. I am extremely confident about achieving my straight A's in my five A Levels (Eng Lit, History, Maths, Physics and Latin). Obviously Cambridge is the most well regarded but i was wondering whether it might be best to break with family tradition and go to an university with a lesser reputation but which has a broader university experience? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
flo :-)
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
How dare you suggest that other unis such as St. Andrews and Warwick have lesser repuatations than Cambridge? Do you not think that's a bit RUDE? or even SNOBBY?
Gracie Lou
Report 17 years ago
I don't see why you need to ask. Cambridge is obviously your only option. Why anyone would consider gong to another university is beyond me.
felicity
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
One should not confuse wanting a decent education with being a snob (sadly something that occurs at many comprehensives).
Report 17 years ago
okay Gracie, what is your problem? Just because some people happen to have a little thing about Cambridge doesn't mean it is the best thing for everyone. you are sooo narrow minded i cannot believe what i am reading...
where on earth do you get such an opinion from?
Gracie Lou
Report 17 years ago
It's no opinion, its a fact. An education from Cambridge is highly regarded as one of the best in the world. If you can get in I dont see why you shouldnt go, nor why you shouldnt be proud about it.
seana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
some would say i suffer from a superiority complex but i would definitely go for cambridge. this is especially if you intend to do work outside of the uk as its rep beyond your borders is amazing. well that is my biased opinion...you have to do what is right for you...i would recommend that you examine the universities based on their strengths and weaknesses and according to your expectations and see which one suits your interests the best. I do hope I have been of some meagre help!!
rah
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by felicity)
Hello,

I have received offers from Cambridge, Warwick, York, Durham, UCL and St Andrews to study English Lit. I am extremely confident about achieving my straight A's in my five A Levels (Eng Lit, History, Maths, Physics and Latin). Obviously Cambridge is the most well regarded but i was wondering whether it might be best to break with family tradition and go to an university with a lesser reputation but which has a broader university experience? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

where have all these random new people come from? but anyway do what you feel most comfortable with, but remember turning down cambridge may be something you live to regret..
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gnostic)
Why is it rude? Oxbridge and LSE do have better greater reputations than Warwick and UCL.
You weirdo, every post you're ever on includes some crap about how wonderful LSE is and how much better it is then other uni's... give a ****.
Ahem..geek.
Report 17 years ago
excuse me? do you have a problem with comprehensives or something? i am not confusing snobbiness and good education- you may be confusing following your own mind and forming your own opinions with believing everything you hear about such instituitions and attending them purely for their reputation.......
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rah)
where have all these random new people come from? but anyway do what you feel most comfortable with, but remember turning down cambridge may be something you live to regret..
So now you have a problem with new people too. Well excuse me. I had heard that this was a friendly forum where my opinions would be heard. I guess I was wrong, and they say this is a free country.
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Have you visited the other unis who have made you an offer?

You've probably visited Cambridge for interview - if it hasn't struck you as the only option it's worth visiting and speaking to the other universities and seeing if one of these takes your fancy.
Thank you, someone other than myself who think Unis should be judged on their own merit. Not dismissed out of hand like these snobs.
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You're the girl, I recall, who got kicked out of UCL and then claimed that you left because you dont like asians.
Oops, someone recalls wrong.
I'll correct you though...I left.
As for your asian remark, Im not going to justify that with a response because unless you are as much of a nob as you come across, you'll now you're making a hugely exaggerated and far-fetched claim.
Report 17 years ago
Hello,

Thank you.
Look I have to leave now but I think you need to look closely at these offers. You have been really lucky to get so many offers so be grateful. Don't just go to Cambridge because of what these pathetic Harry Potter fanatics think when it might not be right for you.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by flo :-))
How dare you suggest that other unis such as St. Andrews and Warwick have lesser repuatations than Cambridge? Do you not think that's a bit RUDE? or even SNOBBY?
No, Cambridge has a better reputation than Warwick and St.Andrews, that is fact, and nothing to do with your hilarious accusations of rudeness/snoberry.

Cambridge is superior to Warwick and St.Andrews.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ooooooo what big words for a UCL reject - go calm down and have a curry
LOL...
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by flo :-))
Thank you, someone other than myself who think Unis should be judged on their own merit. Not dismissed out of hand like these snobs.
No, the fact that Cambridge has a better reputation than the other uni's mentioned cannot be disputed.

Whether it is right for specific people depends - Although I would always advise Cambridge for its sheer reputation and excellence.
llama boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
One should not confuse wanting a decent education with being a snob (sadly something that occurs at many comprehensives).
exactly how many comprehensives have you actually been to?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why is it rude? Oxbridge and LSE do have better greater reputations than Warwick and UCL.
Yes.

Include Imperial in that though, it is the best uni in the UK behind Oxbridge.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
exactly how many comprehensives have you actually been to?
She has a point though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (233)
75.4%
No (76)
24.6%

Watched Threads