Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im at the decision stage... and can't decide between the two unis!

I'm trying to list the pros and cons for each uni but its not really getting we anywhere. :confused:
    Looking at all aspects, which one is best overall? ideas and reasons too would be really great
    Especially for peps doing dentistry or who are already at the unis...

Any thoughts would be very helpful & much appreciated

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm biased!

I'm at KCL studying physics with computer science. I'm loving living in London, and the uni itself is great too. There are so many great bars and clubs in London...!

That said, it is more expensive than other places.

Just my 2p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siren)
    Im at the decision stage... and can't decide between the two unis!

I'm trying to list the pros and cons for each uni but its not really getting we anywhere. :confused:
    Looking at all aspects, which one is best overall? ideas and reasons too would be really great
    Especially for peps doing dentistry or who are already at the unis...

Any thoughts would be very helpful & much appreciated

cheers
    I'm in the same postion as you but it's between KCL/Royal Holloway. I'm feeling more inclined to the latter, however everyone feels against my choice. I think it's a matter of visiting them, after all you're going to spend 3/4 years there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    Obviously KCL.
    obviously?? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    KCL is much better than mere Cardiff
    why do you say that?

and dazmanultra... wots the best accommodation at KCL? Ive heard alot of them are really crappy.

ReputationRep:
    Accomodation at KCL is actually amongst the best in the Uni of London - but its also the most expensive. Stamford Street is probably the best for location.
    Royal Holloway is quite an isolated place, i like to shop, however it's eight best for english lit whilst kcl is 21. Dear me i have a v. difficult choice to make

ReputationRep:
    kings has a good reputation too with employers so you need to think about that too

ReputationRep:
    cardiff
    cos thast where im goin
    plus its kool....i live bout 30 mins away but will be in halls!
    great night out...if u wanna no miore bout it ask

ReputationRep:
    cardiff
    cos thast where im goin
    plus its kool....i live bout 30 mins away but will be in halls!
    great night out...if u wanna no miore bout it ask..ohh also the wales college of medicine is great apparntly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siren)
    why do you say that?

and dazmanultra... wots the best accommodation at KCL? Ive heard alot of them are really crappy.
    Stamford Street and Dover Street apartments are nice, unfortunately because they are arranged in "flats" there really is no community. You won't meet many people outside your course or outside your flat of 6 people or so.

I'm at King's College Hall. It's down in Camberwell/Dulwich, so is quite far away. It's catered, it really isn't much to look at, and some of the rooms are quite poor. What it has got going for it, however is the social life. It's great. Snooker, Pool, Table Tennis, Sky TV room, projector in the common room for new films every week, a great bar. Basically, socially it's the best accommodation at Kings.

ReputationRep:
    KCL is in a great location. It's friendly, vibrant, good reputation and fun.

ReputationRep:
    KCl-go there! thats where ive hust accepted to do music-the course looks amazing, although london could be abit scary-but i rekon it will be more xciting to have to wory about that! ive put down the intercolligate halls 4 my acc.

ReputationRep:
    which reminds me i'm still doing nothing about my decision between Kcl/Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    KCL is one the best unis/largest department for dentistry/medicine, I got a offer for med in Kings, and would difinatly put down kings as my firm choice- but thats my opinion

ReputationRep:
    I think that the reputation and distinction of a university is far more important than what those divs at the Times think in relation to individual subjects.

For example, LSE is ranked 14th for Philosophy (!!). This has no relation to reality whatsoever. The LSE has, arguably, the finest philosophy department in the UK. The Times could rank LSE 100th for philosophy but this doesn't really change anything.

KCL is a greater university than Royal Holloway. If I were you I would pick KCL. KCL is older, posher, and better.
    :rolleyes: Royal Holloway is eighth best at English according to the Times, whilst KCL sits at 21. However the fact KCL is in a great location is a bonus, even though it's too close to home for me Royal Holloway is far too isolated. They're both good, i just can't decide which is the better.

ReputationRep:
    The basis for the League Tables for individual subjects is very flawed - they - the Times - rank the teaching quality, for example, which is a non-starter.

KCL is a better university - in my mind there is no doubt what you should choose.

Places like Warwick are way over-hyped by these tables, whilst traditional places with lots of distinction such as KCL are less known - indeed the Times had the audacity of calling KCL "the forgotten member of the academic elite" - forgotten because of the Time’s constant undervaluing of it whilst defying all points of reality!

When we start getting posts by people asking whether Cardiff is better than KCL, you’ve got to start to think about how much damage these league tables, complied on very flawed foundations, are doing – remember when the Times ranked Bath University in the top 5?!
    You haven't convinced me but i have taken on board what you've said

ReputationRep:
    The basis for the League Tables for individual subjects is very flawed - they - the Times - rank the teaching quality, for example, which is a non-starter.

KCL is a better university - in my mind there is no doubt what you should choose.

Places like Warwick are way over-hyped by these tables, whilst traditional places with lots of distinction such as KCL are less known - indeed the Times had the audacity of calling KCL "the forgotten member of the academic elite" - forgotten because of the Time’s constant undervaluing of it whilst defying all points of reality!

When we start getting posts by people asking whether Cardiff is better than KCL, you’ve got to start to think about how much damage these league tables, complied on very flawed foundations, are doing – remember when the Times ranked Bath University in the top 5?!
    You're pretty passionate about this aren't you?
    Def taking on board what you are saying though.
    (NB I never actually said that cardiff was a better uni than KCL but even on work experience the dentists I was working with said not to go to KCL. Graduates from there are known to be really arrogant and hard to get on wid I think...)
    At the moment I am really leaning towards KCL because of its rep etc, but as I already live so close to London, Cardiff has got the bonus of being a diff experience and has newer facilities.
    I just looking for some help finalising my decision... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally go for King's, no question.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.