The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Exam 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Is Question 6 - the one that people think the topics 'Queen Jubilee' or 'Olympics' will be based on ?
Original post by science-oliver
No. No it actually wasn't spam.

I realise my query about tenses was very stupid, however not all of us are aware of what aphorism or sentence fragmentation is.

If you would like to refrain yourself from using sarcastic comments and state what my questions mean, it would be very much appreciated and more beneficial.

Thankyou :smile:

Gosh- I'm really sorry, I meant the post you were referring to with the mention of tenses it in- nothing you wrote at all! And I didn't intend to be sarcastic- I just get fed up with people like that spamming forums with weird rambles about aphorism, or whatever it was!
Original post by Shakz
Hey, you guys...this AQA have the past papers i need but for the language paper there is only a question booklet,,,where can i get the booklet with the texts and items in it?

I don't think it's online, because of copyright. Especially for the articles, though, if you search the title and author on google, then you should be able to find the articles- you're just not guaranteed to see where they may have edited bits out, if they're long...
Reply 63
Original post by Arshii
Hi! i have my English exam on that date too, and same exam board *hi5* LOL! but, i seriously don't get how are you meant to revise for an English exam... i have done some past paper but I'm still really struggling with the time, i aint that quick writer. :afraid: also, the whole class was given a higher Jan 2011 script that contained a candidates answers who got a grade of A*, therefore, i will be following the same structure of the answers that the candidates had wrote... but in he/she's plan for qs.4 (comparing source 3 and source 1 or source 2) they wrote LIST - which i have no clue it means, except L means lang and S means structure I THINK! But, do you know what the I and the T mean? I'm hoping that you would know... :/ thank you... :wink:

Im guessing that meand Techniques, so the language techniques used like emotive lang, alliteration, position of images, etc...:smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Arshii
Hi! i have my English exam on that date too, and same exam board *hi5* LOL! but, i seriously don't get how are you meant to revise for an English exam... i have done some past paper but I'm still really struggling with the time, i aint that quick writer. :afraid: also, the whole class was given a higher Jan 2011 script that contained a candidates answers who got a grade of A*, therefore, i will be following the same structure of the answers that the candidates had wrote... but in he/she's plan for qs.4 (comparing source 3 and source 1 or source 2) they wrote LIST - which i have no clue it means, except L means lang and S means structure I THINK! But, do you know what the I and the T mean? I'm hoping that you would know... :/ thank you... :wink:

Im guessing that meand Techniques, so the language techniques used like emotive lang, alliteration, position of images, etc...
Reply 65
So to revise, im gonna learn timings, techniques and what to put into each paragraph, and learn subsitute words for things, is there anyhting else i should do as im finding it hard to work out what to learn.. Also your timings add up to 136 mins, so dont leave any extra time for checking over, i think im gonna spend 15 mins on 1,2 and 3 to leave time for the end. Any help on how many paragraphs each question should have? Thanks!
Reply 66
the grade boundaries are quite low on this, I believe. I did a mock and got an a* and was quite into it but I know I lost about 10 marks. Also remember the controlled assesments will help bring grades up cos this is only 40%. I don't really know how to revise for this one because it's all about technique really so apart from being given past papers i've done nothing. Time though, for me will b the biggest worry!
Good luck!!
Reply 67
I'm really unsure about how the coursework and exam grades add up for the total grade. Would I be right in thinking English Language is made up of this single test, and 80 mark coursework?
For English literature, is it one 40 mark coursework piece, one poetry exam, and one exam comparing modern texts (the one that had To Kill a Mockingbird, An Inspector Calls, Lord of the Flies, etc.)
What percentages of coursework to exams make up the total grades?
Original post by dr-jimmy
I'm really unsure about how the coursework and exam grades add up for the total grade. Would I be right in thinking English Language is made up of this single test, and 80 mark coursework?
For English literature, is it one 40 mark coursework piece, one poetry exam, and one exam comparing modern texts (the one that had To Kill a Mockingbird, An Inspector Calls, Lord of the Flies, etc.)

25% Literature Coursework 75% Literature Exam
60% Language Coursework 40% Language Exam
Reply 69
Original post by dr-jimmy

English literature : 25% coursework, 75% exam
English language : 40% coursework, 60% exam
Reply 70
Itz all good!!!
I did AQA English Language in June last year, but even the past paper from last year someone posted is completely different to the one I did. Did the specification change immediately or something?
Reply 72
Great, thankyou.:biggrin:
Reply 73
I can confirm that the OP is 100% correct in his marks. That is exactly how the exams are laid out.

I personally am doing English (not language), but still do that same exam, though the coursework (controlled assessments) are slightly different. They have a 60% weighting, of which I have an A* in both controlled assessment units. (85/90, 41/45). I think I only need a B in this to obtain an A overall. ( Or an A to obtain an A* overall, but of course an A* would be preferred ;] )

But alas, I'm aiming for an A. Does anyone have any tips on anything, generally? I really haven't had much exam practise, so don't really know how to handle each question :s
Reply 74
Original post by aidan.steer112
Hi Clare,

Believe it or not, both are correct but the 90% will always stay static as it is in what is known as UMS.

UMS grade boundaries equate to this,

A* - 90%
A - 80%
B - 70%
C - 60%
D - 50%
E - 40%
F - 30%
G - 20%
U - 0%

The raw mark boundaries are relative to how good or bad people do, so they are prone to fluctuation.

E.G. In 2011, 47/50 Raw = A* = 100 UMS, but in 2012, 43/50 Raw = A* = 100 UMS.....

If you need any more help with this, feel free to message, and if you are sitting ENL01 on Tuesday, GOOD LUCK!

Aidan

it is out of 80 not 50?
Reply 75
Original post by piratefinn
the outline will basically be that of the jan 2012.
1st question: Regurgitate stuff in the text not word for word.
2nd: How is this headline/pic/sub-headline link with the text and being effective what it does. Point out even the completely obvious (the headline is bold and large making it punchy etc.).
3rd: Analyse the question. Add some provenance to help. Anyone who does history gcse will know what to do here, just interpret it as a source question.
4th the same.
5th: Usually write something long like a letter. If it is a letter then start it like one with the address and the formalities. Basically its write a lot, have connectives, paragraph it and have intro and conclusion. Usually have to write about something in your life or similar here, but billy bullcrap can be used to make it up to make it better.
6th: Just write a lot. That's relevant.
Reccomended timings are 15 min reading time, 36 min for q 1-3, 24 min for q4 and an hour on 5-6 (section b). The aim is 1 mark per 1.5 min.

for question 2 it is essential that you link it to the text! You cant just say it is big, say why this makes it effective
Reply 76
Original post by kaneboy
I can confirm that the OP is 100% correct in his marks. That is exactly how the exams are laid out.

I personally am doing English (not language), but still do that same exam, though the coursework (controlled assessments) are slightly different. They have a 60% weighting, of which I have an A* in both controlled assessment units. (85/90, 41/45). I think I only need a B in this to obtain an A overall. ( Or an A to obtain an A* overall, but of course an A* would be preferred ;] )

But alas, I'm aiming for an A. Does anyone have any tips on anything, generally? I really haven't had much exam practise, so don't really know how to handle each question :s

The head of english at our school recommended doing the paper back to front. The last two questions are worth a lot more so just in case you do run out of time or your writing becomes less legible it is better to get them sorted. Also the first questions are generally easier cos they are just stated facts- you don't analyse for the first two questions so it's like you can relax a little. I think the biggest thing to concentrate on would be time. At the beginning of the exam when filling in the candidate info quickly write down the time you should finish by for each section on the source booklet or somewhere, it helped me a lot. Remember its a minute and a half per mark. good luck :smile:

p.s on number 5 i think it is, its like a personal one. Make it up as you go along cos if u spend time actually thinking about a real experience you will reallly struggle for time ( my mistake on the first practice I did)
Reply 77
Original post by Apocalyptic Fish
I did AQA English Language in June last year, but even the past paper from last year someone posted is completely different to the one I did. Did the specification change immediately or something?

Yes it changed after your year....
I know this because my cousin did English at the same time as you and your spec is completely different
its because in sept 2010..it was new spec so you were the last year to do it
Reply 78
Original post by Adriennet
The head of english at our school recommended doing the paper back to front. The last two questions are worth a lot more so just in case you do run out of time or your writing becomes less legible it is better to get them sorted. Also the first questions are generally easier cos they are just stated facts- you don't analyse for the first two questions so it's like you can relax a little. I think the biggest thing to concentrate on would be time. At the beginning of the exam when filling in the candidate info quickly write down the time you should finish by for each section on the source booklet or somewhere, it helped me a lot. Remember its a minute and a half per mark. good luck :smile:

p.s on number 5 i think it is, its like a personal one. Make it up as you go along cos if u spend time actually thinking about a real experience you will reallly struggle for time ( my mistake on the first practice I did)

Thanks :smile: But question 2 is analysing, you have to talk about the headline etc :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2014710
What do you think about my response?
Reply 79
Original post by kaneboy
Thanks :smile: But question 2 is analysing, you have to talk about the headline etc :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2014710
What do you think about my response?

oops sorry! Maybe it's question 3... I just know that 2 out of 4 for the first section should be more stating and describing rather than analysing :smile: and give me a few minutes and I will read your response and reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending