The Student Room Group

Should I transfer to an easier University to get a first/ 2.1 or stay and get a third

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Nichrome
What on earth are you on about? I entered with a BA, I graduated after 3 years of the Cambridge course, therefore putting me on an equal footing with the UGs going into the fourth year of their MSci. I had exactly the same year as them except I sat an extra module, on top of a longer project and lit review. You can argue that being good at projects stood me in good stead for an MSc, except that my original point was entirely about exams (my marks in project work actually went down a bit). I went from a 55% average in exams to an 85% average from my third to fourth year after switching unis, and comparing this to not just the MSc students but also the MSci students who sat the same exams, put me near the top of the pile.

Absolutely, in my second year Cambridge set some pretty easy exams...but despite getting 70% in raw marks, my grade was drastically reduced to a 2.2 due to scaling.

When people complained that after despite having revised hard and done well at the exams, the department sent around an email that contained this:

Leaving just under half the year with a 2.2 despite their calibre is pretty unjust and would not happen anywhere else.

Scaling can work the other way too with an exam the cohort found hard. Your 50% raw marks could have gone up to 70%. Other universities use external examiners to review the content of exams before they are finalised, to ensure that exams are at an appropriate level and consistent from year to year.

Most universities have the course syllabus available, some will make past papers available. You may find the content and teaching style at one place suits you better than another. If you do your university research including these factors rather than just prestige. You are less likely to seeking a transfer mid course. But one thing I have found, is that passing exams is all very well, but if you can't make use of the knowledge in your chosen field it counts for nothing.

Some lecturers take delight in setting exams whose content bears little relation to how they have taught on the course. They are targeting the people who covered the background material and followed up on the more challenging stuff.

It can come as a lasting shock to some students to go from being top in your school, to being one of many top performers at university. In that context, some will continue to thrive, whilst others will not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by ebam_uk
I love despite the evidence that those of us studying at the top uni's are saying... I get negged for saying the oxbridge is harder...

Don't dispute the normal distribution stuff either... Say if cambridge happen to set a slightly easier exam... It can have devastating effects if too many people beat you in the exam as you just get normalised out of the exam....

tbh i think you get negged when you end posts 'lool'... It doesn't really make you come across as the high powered oxbridge intellectual i'm sure you are :wink:
Reply 82
Original post by Joinedup
tbh i think you get negged when you end posts 'lool'... It doesn't really make you come across as the high powered oxbridge intellectual i'm sure you are :wink:

Well, I am just human, I don't have to do the oxbridge pretentious **** some folk seem to perpetuate on TSR...

Also the "lol" was sattirical because I know deep down people can't handle the truth on the forum... etc etc, keep thinking your 2nd tier degree is the same league as oxbridge but frankly... thats sooo not true.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by a.partridge
Well the problems that you deal with are not that difficult to understand compared to maths and physics - strictly academic... please... you get credits for talking about business management and other crap

you wouldn't be taken on for a hard science or other competitive phd at oxbridge with a 2.2 undergrad from oxbridge (look at the entry requirements) - furthermore 4th year science is not easier than 1st 2nd and 3rd year.. Msc is not easier than Bsc... and PhD certainly isn't.

It's so obvious it goes without saying.

I suppose that you are one of the students, who don't know, that engineering is a degree on his own and not physics light? If it is academic or not, depends more on the university and most of the physicist don't life in a nerdy tower, where it isn't necessary to know something about business and economics, too. (And really, how much business/economics is in a straight engineering degree? And why do you think you are the person to judge which courses are academic and which are not?)

Most of the Physics students look at the engineering physic paper and say: Oh, that is so easy. BUT SURPRISE: These Physics paper are only a little part of Engineering degrees and not 100% like in a physics degree, so it should be obvious that the level isn't the same.

And yes I know both, students transferring from engineering to Physics and the other way round, and SURPRISE that haven't meant the Physics students aced through the engineering degree and the other way round.

Really I find it funny, how most Physics base their intellectual superiority over Engineering students on the fact they are more interested in Physics than Engineering and thus went to study Physics, while having the same grades at school as their Engineering counterparts, who are often not interested in a Physics degree at all, too.

(And don't come me with comparing a Engineering degree of a low university to a Physics degree at Cambridge.)
Reply 84
Original post by everything
I'm really confused as to how the grading works, since obviously grades aren't equivilent from University to University (a first at UCL is much stronger than a first at Manchester Met, for example).

So my dillema is such: I am struggling at a top 5 University on one of the University's highest ranked courses (Maths based course). My friend, who is at Birmingham, is seemingly breezing through his Maths degree with maximum marks. However, I performed better than he did at Maths at A-Level.

So what do I do? Do I swap to an 'easier' University and achieve a first or a 2:1, or struggle here and potentially get a third? I read all these things about employers not even considering candidates with lower than a 2.1, so considering that even a 2.2 would be a success for me here, what would be the best thing to do?

I feel your pain. I am struggling through my fourth year of Engineering at Cambridge. I have a friend who I beat consistently on every single exam that we ever sat, he did Engineering elsewhere, got a first and got job offers from three of the most desirable engineering firms in the country.

I am the only one that I know of from back home who got less than a 2:1 in their degree. Including people who got Bs and Cs at A level.

One of my close friends went to a top 10 university to do Chemistry. He got a 2:2 in the first year and failed the second year. He then dropped out, went to a lower ranked university and got a 2:1 in the end. He's now doing a PhD. Leaving his university was unquestionably the right decision.

I think that people who claim that all courses are the same difficulty are living in a dream world. Top universities push their students, that's why they are good universities. Oxbridge has some very hard courses, including my Engineering course. But then, a lot of that is due to the students having to be self-motivated (contact time is in small groups, but limited) and the pathetically short terms. And of course the competitive marking referred to above.

I think that the key thing to ask is whether you enjoy your time at university. If you love where you are and what you do outside of academic work then I would consider staying. But if you don't much enjoy the social side of things then you would be better to find somewhere else. I love being at Cambridge, which is why (aside from extreme stubbornness) I am still here. If I didn't then I would leave, and I know of three people who have dropped out.

Oh, and employees DO reject people without interview on a 2:2. Not all the time, but some of the time. And many of the graduate training programmes are 2:1 and above only. Getting a 2:2 is not a good thing, I know this to my cost.

p.s. Having said that, I know someone who got a 2:2 and a Pass in his masters who is currently doing a PhD at Cambridge. Cambridge has a bias towards ex-Cambridge students, because they know that they can survive the experience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by Glutamic Acid
You shouldn't believe this: it's a self-perpetuating myth. Should you come to accept it then you're doomed fo' sho'. Don't capitulate and go 'woe is me' thinking you haven't been gifted the gene for understanding δ-ε proofs. They're weird to everyone at first, and if they're not weird to someone it's because they've acquired some familiarity with them, and you need to do that too. However, the people doing well on your course will likely do plenty of maths, and approach their work with an ebullience that will be difficult to match if your primary interest in maths is to get the $$$$$. This issue may persist should you transfer elsewhere: so why not consider a change of course?

I think it's worth noting that the course I would most likely change to, something to do with graphic design, is not offered by Warwick.
Reply 86
Original post by ukebert
I feel your pain. I am struggling through my fourth year of Engineering at Cambridge. I have a friend who I beat consistently on every single exam that we ever sat, he did Engineering elsewhere, got a first and got job offers from three of the most desirable engineering firms in the country.

I am the only one that I know of from back home who got less than a 2:1 in their degree. Including people who got Bs and Cs at A level.

One of my close friends went to a top 10 university to do Chemistry. He got a 2:2 in the first year and failed the second year. He then dropped out, went to a lower ranked university and got a 2:1 in the end. He's now doing a PhD. Leaving his university was unquestionably the right decision.

I think that people who claim that all courses are the same difficulty are living in a dream world. Top universities push their students, that's why they are good universities. Oxbridge has some very hard courses, including my Engineering course. But then, a lot of that is due to the students having to be self-motivated (contact time is in small groups, but limited) and the pathetically short terms. And of course the competitive marking referred to above.

I think that the key thing to ask is whether you enjoy your time at university. If you love where you are and what you do outside of academic work then I would consider staying. But if you don't much enjoy the social side of things then you would be better to find somewhere else. I love being at Cambridge, which is why (aside from extreme stubbornness) I am still here. If I didn't then I would leave, and I know of three people who have dropped out.

Oh, and employees DO reject people without interview on a 2:2. Not all the time, but some of the time. And many of the graduate training programmes are 2:1 and above only. Getting a 2:2 is not a good thing, I know this to my cost.

p.s. Having said that, I know someone who got a 2:2 and a Pass in his masters who is currently doing a PhD at Cambridge. Cambridge has a bias towards ex-Cambridge students, because they know that they can survive the experience.

I guess that the chances are, if I'm set for a 2.2, I'll look at switching Unis. However that might work.
Reply 87
I think it's worth noting that the course I would most likely change to, something to do with graphic design, is not offered by Warwick.

Ah right. Now that is a different question. Why is this? Is it because you think it will be easier than Maths? Or because it is what you love?

I did Engineering at university because I thought that a degree was a good thing and because I wanted to get a job. Now I don't want to be an Engineer and can't find a job anyway. Do what you really love. There is no point doing anything else. I wish I had.
Reply 88
Original post by ukebert
Ah right. Now that is a different question. Why is this? Is it because you think it will be easier than Maths? Or because it is what you love?

I did Engineering at university because I thought that a degree was a good thing and because I wanted to get a job. Now I don't want to be an Engineer and can't find a job anyway. Do what you really love. There is no point doing anything else. I wish I had.

To reinforce your point..

Just remember when you are doing that upteenth all nighter... if its something your truly passionate about... you probably won't mind much!

So I definitely agree with doing something you love, as opposed to just trying to go a subject because it has slighty better perceived job prospects... ( employment progression is likely to be more individual/personality based, therefore your progression will be based on your own ability )
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm really confused as to how the grading works, since obviously grades aren't equivilent from University to University (a first at UCL is much stronger than a first at Manchester Met, for example).

So my dillema is such: I am struggling at a top 5 University on one of the University's highest ranked courses (Maths based course). My friend, who is at Birmingham, is seemingly breezing through his Maths degree with maximum marks. However, I performed better than he did at Maths at A-Level.

So what do I do? Do I swap to an 'easier' University and achieve a first or a 2:1, or struggle here and potentially get a third? I read all these things about employers not even considering candidates with lower than a 2.1, so considering that even a 2.2 would be a success for me here, what would be the best thing to do?

This means nothing!
Reply 90
Another thing I've hated here is that we finished lectures on NEW MATERIAL on Friday. My first proper exam is in 2 days. No study leave before exams. It takes motivated individuals to get legit revision done alongside a lectures on new modules.

Consider that your friend has adapted better to university style learning and advanced maths than you.
The difference between the difficulty of two unis is not that great that a 2.1 in one is a 3rd in another.
Reply 92
Original post by ukebert

It's about the one thing I can take at University where I have some natural interest in. I can work for hours on end on Photoshop/ Sony Vegas making something.
Reply 93

What year are you in?
Reply 94
Hi, i think you should transfer as its no good doing a degree thats stressful. Studying should be enjoyable not stressful and from what i hear birmingham is a great university dont think of it as going down a notch think of it as being able to achive more, as im quite sure you'd be getting better marks if you where doing a degree that runs at your type of pace . Also you already have a friend at that uni who can help you get seteled in if needs be . Sometimes top unis really through you in at the deep end as they just assume that seen as your going to their top uni you must really love maths and know everything about it, but some people dont and find the degree's going to fast . You've got nothing to be ashamed of whatever decision you make , maybe you couldhave a word with your lecturer at the top uni and ask them to recomend some books that would help you keep up with the studies, if you wanted to of course. I know all this because my father is a retired head lecturer of marketing and buusiness studies , take care xxx
Reply 95
Original post by miml
What year are you in?

First

Original post by Frazeled
Hi, i think you should transfer as its no good doing a degree thats stressful. Studying should be enjoyable not stressful and from what i hear birmingham is a great university dont think of it as going down a notch think of it as being able to achive more, as im quite sure you'd be getting better marks if you where doing a degree that runs at your type of pace . Also you already have a friend at that uni who can help you get seteled in if needs be . Sometimes top unis really through you in at the deep end as they just assume that seen as your going to their top uni you must really love maths and know everything about it, but some people dont and find the degree's going to fast . You've got nothing to be ashamed of whatever decision you make , maybe you couldhave a word with your lecturer at the top uni and ask them to recomend some books that would help you keep up with the studies, if you wanted to of course. I know all this because my father is a retired head lecturer of marketing and buusiness studies , take care xxx

I don't actually want to go Birmingham lol. I think if I go anywhere, I might well go to an English speaking European university for the sake of debt. I'd much rather end up with something like £4k in tuition fees over 3 years than £27K..
Another thing I've hated here is that we finished lectures on NEW MATERIAL on Friday. My first proper exam is in 2 days. No study leave before exams. It takes motivated individuals to get legit revision done alongside a lectures on new modules.

It's not that hard to learn new material and revise topics you did a while ago, just grit your teeth and get on with it and see how it goes.
Reply 97
First

In which case what was your result in Foundations/Analysis I? First year should be straightforward for most people, and if you really are struggling then fair enough, switch. I won't lie... year 2 only gets harder. And some of the stuff will come up in virtually every module. Also just because people seem to be coping fine with material doesn't mean they are.

But bear in mind
a) The maths department don't really care how well you do in first year, yes it counts, but getting over 40% is enough to ensure you progress to the second year. Also don't worry too much about resits, I thought I'd completely failed a couple modules, but turns out I didn't do too badly in them. Lots of people resit, and I only know of one person who was actually kicked out.

b) Warwick is also very flexible. You can reduce the maths load quite significantly and take up languages (Level 1 languages are really easy CATS). Business studies modules, finance/compsci/econ/physics etc.

EDIT: And what's the module you just finished on Friday. AFAIK only Number Theory and Experimental Maths run in term 3 for first years. Number theory is a self study module, so you shouldn't really take it unless you are prepared to, well, self study. And EM is 100% lab reports, so although it takes away time from revision, you've got some CATS in the bag, which is only a good thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98

well check out what assessments you'll be doing before signing up, they'll probably show you a lot of graphic workstations on the open day but you might find the reality is that you need to produce a lot of essays about graphic design to get the marks, which might be another motivation hole.
Reply 99
Original post by miml
In which case what was your result in Foundations/Analysis I? First year should be straightforward for most people, and if you really are struggling then fair enough, switch. I won't lie... year 2 only gets harder. And some of the stuff will come up in virtually every module. Also just because people seem to be coping fine with material doesn't mean they are.

But bear in mind
a) The maths department don't really care how well you do in first year, yes it counts, but getting over 40% is enough to ensure you progress to the second year. Also don't worry too much about resits, I thought I'd completely failed a couple modules, but turns out I didn't do too badly in them. Lots of people resit, and I only know of one person who was actually kicked out.

b) Warwick is also very flexible. You can reduce the maths load quite significantly and take up languages (Level 1 languages are really easy CATS). Business studies modules, finance/compsci/econ/physics etc.

EDIT: And what's the module you just finished on Friday. AFAIK only Number Theory and Experimental Maths run in term 3 for first years. Number theory is a self study module, so you shouldn't really take it unless you are prepared to, well, self study. And EM is 100% lab reports, so although it takes away time from revision, you've got some CATS in the bag, which is only a good thing.

I'm MORSE student, so the modules we just finished were ST108 (applications of siuewfbuirgfiubreuianalysisandlinearalgebraand****) and Maths Programming, which is alright as a module, but I could really have done without it being right before exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending